Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Starter Part Number-Stratus 2000 EA-81

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm running a Stratus 2000 Subaru EA-81 on my Avid Mark IV. My starter needs replaced but is not identified with a part number or any other identification. Can anyone lead me to the supplier or provide a part number of the starter?

thanks

Arlan

Posted

I'm running a Stratus 2000 Subaru EA-81 on my Avid Mark IV. My starter needs replaced but is not identified with a part number or any other identification. Can anyone lead me to the supplier or provide a part number of the starter?

thanks

Arlan

Arlan,  A photo of your starter might help.  Suberavid may have the part number if yours is a lightweight starter - Try a PM to him.  I have an extra Subaru EA-81 starter, and it is heavy - I think Stratus used both kinds.  EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the info. I'll post a picture and hopefully that will help.

Posted (edited)

I was thinking that one of the Soob builders used a Dodge - Plymouth Horizon 4 cyl starter. ???  I may be able to do some searching if you cant find the info or SuberAvid doesn't have it.  I have a Dave Johnson engine and it uses the original Soob geared starter - very heavy, but good.   Maybe someone else with a Stratus engine has the part numbers?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Here's a couple pictures of the Starter that's on my Stratus 2000. It mounts on the rear of the redrive and I've been told it rotates counter clockwise.

Starter pic 2.jpg

Posted (edited)

Only one photo showed up, but that's enough.

That looks similar, but different than my Soob starter - possibly a later model - Mine mounts to rear of redrive too, and rotates counter-clockwise.   Will try to take a photo tomorrow.   Probably if you go to an auto parts store, they can match yours up with an EA-81 starter?  Soob dealer parts department wont talk to you unless you have a VIN number for a car - probably more expensive there anyway.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Here are a couple of photos of my spare Soob starter - I think the one on the engine is the same - no numbers on it - about 5" between bolt holes.   There may be a difference if it was on an automatic transmission or a standard shift flywheel?   The nose looks different.   The white writing on the solenoid says "new contacts - Good".   Maybe you could get yours repaired?   EDMO

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks for all the insight. I went to the auto parts store and bought a rebuilt unit, but the mounting holes were further apart and wouldn't bolt up. I'm still checking all avenues including locating a rebuild shop in my area.

Posted

All,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I took my starter to a repair shop and it's good as new.

They couldn't identify it, but they got it going and operating well.... If nothing else I can now recommend a good shop in the Denver, CO area.

1 person likes this

Posted

I got the part number from mine for biplanejocky also, just in case.