Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Put 21/800-6 Aero Classics on the Super Drifter.

12 posts in this topic

Posted

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks awesome. It appears that the RV guy's are starting to do it now too. There was a good article in last months Sport Aviation mag about it and I seen another on Facebook tonight. Everyone's first question is always how much speed did you lose. I got the same thing with mine and the answer is always the same. If I wanted to go fast I wouldn't be flyin an Avid. 

IMG_6351.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

The RV guys can land anywhere an Avid can...................once.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Our EAA members went over to Illinois and helped pull an RV6A trigear out of a muddy plowed field that he had made an emergency landing in when caught in a snowstorm - must have been a good pilot or got lucky as there was no damage - We got him to a blacktop road and closed off both ends for half mile and he took off again.   I guess larger tires would have made a slight difference in that case, but it was buried in up to the axles.   Kind of hard to compare this heavier  plane with a light Kitfox or Avid.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

RV6A is a two place nose dragger. 

My frined Jim has an RV6 (taildragger) as well as a Kitfox IV, he flies them both off his 1200' grass strip. 

Posted (edited)

RV6A is a two place nose dragger. 

My frined Jim has an RV6 (taildragger) as well as a Kitfox IV, he flies them both off his 1200' grass strip. 

When the Air Force Pilot told us that he had his wife and 2 sons in the plane, it became a 4 place.  We couldn't possibly move the plane 1/8 of a mile by hand, but some farmer came out with a huge 4 wheel drive tractor and a skid as big as a barn door - once we got the heavy plane on the skid the rest was easy.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Unless his kids were very, very small there is no way to put an adult, much less two in the baggage area of a 6.  Was this an RV10?  The actual four place, Lycoming 540 powered plane.

It doesn't say much that an Airforce pilot would not know how to deal with turning a 180, to get out of a snow squall.  Or putting children in the baggage area of a two seat plane. 

Posted (edited)

It was an RV 6A - I don't know how big the children were - Cant give all the details, but think he was IFR and icing, and this storm was too big to get out of on the gas he had - or some such details?   I am not going to second-guess his judgement or flight.   At least he got it down with no damage or injuries.  I think I had mud up to my shoulders by the time we got it out.   21" tires compared to the17" or 19" tires he had would not have mattered much in that mud.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

3 people like this

Posted

2 people like this

Posted

The clouds on the water at the 2:00 minute mark and that music....reason 47,847 why I fly. 

2 people like this