Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid forerunner?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I took these pictures at the Blakesburg airshow (2014, I believe).  I can't help but think that Dean Wilson was impressed at some point by the Fairchild 71.

fairchild71a.jpg.thumb.jpg.e50b3dace1c07fairchild71b.jpg.thumb.jpg.b2193bf955c5efairchild71c.jpg.thumb.jpg.6fd1406821c81

Edited by Avid90
reloading pictures

Posted

Avid90.  For some reason I'm not able to download these pictures. Was wondering if this '71 is N2K?  Dean owned 2K for awhile, used it to spread grass seed over the mountains south of Lewiston Idaho. He and I were just talking about it last Thursday, he once got caught in a snow storm in the Snake river canyon, landed uphill on a ridge, helper jumped out and held the upper wing down tying it to some brush. They walked about an hour and stayed overnight with a nearby rancher. I checked out the reg. It's now in the Lodi Ca. Area.  BTW Dean says it had once been owned by Adm. Bird and probably used in the Artic exploration.

Posted

I couldn't see the pictures either, but a few weeks ago, I was watching an old u tube video of early Alaska aviation, and Noel Wein had a yellow airplane with folding wings they pulled out of a narrow door on a hangar. They said it was a Fairchild 71.    When I googled Fairchild 71 I didn't see any indication of folding wings though.  Nothing new under the sun they say....  Still give Dean a lot of credit for what he did.

Posted

Fairchild71 (N2K) (4558289863).jpg
Fairchild71 (N2K)    I found this on Wiki    EDMO

Posted

I had a friend that flew a Alexander Eagle Rock biplane in the middle 1920's which had folding wings.