Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Old SkyRaider II guy

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm late to the party. Just became aware of this group recently and happy to find a forum for these aircraft.

I've built:  
SkyRaider II Rotax 503, completed phase 1 2011
Cozy III  Lycoming O320, starting phase 1 2017

I've previously owned:
T-Bird UL, Protech PT2, Piper J5, Piper Clipper

I've flown my SkyRaider II from the Twin Cities to Oshkosh for the airshow, camping by the Red UL Barn, for the last 5 years.

I have puddle jumper floats for the SkyRaider, the rigging for which will be my next project after finishing my Cozy in 2017.

A member profile and other stuff about me is available at these links to my local EAA chapter newsletter.

Intro
Trip Report
SkyRaider II Build
SkyRaider II Osh Trip Report

sr2_right.JPG

Posted

I'm late to the party. Just became aware of this group recently and happy to find a forum for these aircraft.

I've built:  
SkyRaider II Rotax 503, completed phase 1 2011
Cozy III  Lycoming O320, starting phase 1 2017

I've previously owned:
T-Bird UL, Protech PT2, Piper J5, Piper Clipper

I've flown my SkyRaider II from the Twin Cities to Oshkosh for the airshow, camping by the Red UL Barn, for the last 5 years.

I have puddle jumper floats for the SkyRaider, the rigging for which will be my next project after finishing my Cozy in 2017.

A member profile and other stuff about me is available at these links to my local EAA chapter newsletter.

Intro
Trip Report
SkyRaider II Build
SkyRaider II Osh Trip Report

sr2_right.JPG

Welcome to the group - You will find that this site gets busy very often - Sometimes your post gets covered up before many get to see it - good thing to check the posts in a thread sometimes so you don't miss something.  Nice Bird - Good Flying - Stay Tuned.   EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Welcome aboard!  Another Minnesotian, I'm from the iron range area.  I think we have at least 2 other list members from the twin cities area.   JImChuk

PS  liked the write-ups also

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome to the forum. We have had nice visits at Airventure. I'm from southcentral Mn.

Posted

Welcome to the forum. We have had nice visits at Airventure. I'm from southcentral Mn.

Yep, I recall. I still intend to make it to Madelia after I get my Cozy out of Phase 1.

Posted

Looking forward to that.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the club that goes cross country with a 2-stroke. I get told all the time that it's not possible. While Osh is on the bucket list, I've done CA to ID several times. After seeing your plane I just went and dug through my 2016 Osh pics and found a shot of your bird. Look forward to meeting you next time. I just got some nice bungee covers from Fisher Upholstery in Eagle Idaho if your looking to clean it up a little. EDIT disregard I see in the pics I posted that you have some now.

DSC_0025.jpg

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Welcome to the groups, sit back and enjoy the ride!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Marlon,

I've seen your SkyRaider at OSH many times, nice to finally put a face to it. I always snap a pic when I find something of interest and recall taking note of your front spar bolt and lifting ring setup. Then I noticed your windscreen cutouts, never seen it done quite like that but does seems like it would provide good strain relief for the radius bends. Probably need to cover with root end fairings for cold weather flying though. BTW, my first ever ride into OSH was right seat in a Widgeon. :)

134.JPG

Posted

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the club that goes cross country with a 2-stroke. I get told all the time that it's not possible. While Osh is on the bucket list, I've done CA to ID several times. After seeing your plane I just went and dug through my 2016 Osh pics and found a shot of your bird. Look forward to meeting you next time. I just got some nice bungee covers from Fisher Upholstery in Eagle Idaho if your looking to clean it up a little. EDIT disregard I see in the pics I posted that you have some now.

My flight to OSH is about 5 hours and I plan for one fuel stop on the way, so not overly ambitious. It could turn into a grind with a headwind, so I always wait for a tailwind to head down, and bail out when I get a tailwind to head back with.  When I was there in 2009 or 2010, there were two guys who had flown from Salt Lake in a SRII and a mini-max on 503's on 100 mile legs; that was commitment. Sadly the SRII pilot crashed and met his end a couple of years later trying to tow a banner.  He had this video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGu-TurDyKw

which I always enjoy.

I made bungee covers from a sheet of PVC wrapped around the front and stitched flush together in the back and covered with a stretchy fabric tube cut from a soccer sock.

Thanks for the welcome!

Posted

Hi Marlon,

I've seen your SkyRaider at OSH many times, nice to finally put a face to it. I always snap a pic when I find something of interest and recall taking note of your front spar bolt and lifting ring setup. Then I noticed your windscreen cutouts, never seen it done quite like that but does seems like it would provide good strain relief for the radius bends. Probably need to cover with root end fairings for cold weather flying though. BTW, my first ever ride into OSH was right seat in a Widgeon. :)

134.JPG

Hi DH, yes, I use those lift rings to hoist the SRII up to the rafters in my hanger, which gives me room for one more toy, and will come in handy for switching out tires and floats.  I'm designing float rigging that will have 4 fixed attach points mating to the axle and main strut float fitting so I'll be able to just pull off the tires and set it down and attach with 2 pins and 2 axle saddle caps. I'm attracted to the idea of flying off of water, and I've read just enough Jimmy Buffet to be enamored of the Widgeon--lucky you.