Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transponder antenna ground plane

7 posts in this topic

Posted

How did you guys running transponders mount your antenna? I am running a microair transponder with the AK-350 encoder and Rami AV-22 knock off Ted antenna. Working on the plane tomorrow and would like to get this part done but I want it to work. I read about 20 articles till my head hurt and never got a good answer for this type of set up. 

IMG_6381.PNG

Posted

Did mine on the belly on every aircraft I've owned . 

Posted (edited)

Joey,  I've been away from electronics too long, but if you mount your antennae on the belly and either mount it on or back it up with a piece of metal or even aluminum foil with a minimum surface or diameter of 2x the height of your antennae you should be fine.  Larger would be OK too.   Make sure it is grounded good.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The Kitfox mount is about 3 x 4" plate welded to the airframe on the belly, just behind the cabin on the pilots side.  That's where both of mine were/are and there is no issue with transmission.  

Posted (edited)

FWIW I attached a chunk of aluminum sheet to some of the tubes on the bottom with Adel clamps and mounted the antenna to the middle and poked it through a hole in the fabric. I bent the edges of the sheet up a bit to reduce the chance of a chafing problem. Also grounded the plate to the airframe.

Edited by Geoffrey Thorpe

Posted

I mounted the small post antenna on my belly, almost between the pedals, so it is on that thin aluminum floor. I just drilled a 1/2" hole and mounted it with a lock washer. This is an excellent ground plane, and also convenient since the short BNC cable just drops down from the panel. The Xponder checks out fine with ATC.

Posted

Ended up with this set up. Attached it with a couple of hose clamps.

IMG_6395.JPG

IMG_6387.JPG