Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HELP can anyone tell me what this means

9 posts in this topic

Posted

what does it mean on a rotax C box 3.1 put the # 16 shim on the pinion shaft as required 

Posted

There has to be a certain amount of free space between the parts  on the gear shaft.  I don't have a manual in front of me, so I'm going by memory, and a poor one at that  :-)  The parts are assembled, and a measurement is taken.  Then the right amount of shims are added to make the right amount of free space.  My Rotax overhaul manual explains how it's done, but I don't have that with me here.  Hope this was what you were asking.  JImChuk

Posted

Okay great I was In the process of putting my c box back on and ran into the fact I didn't see the shim they were so called explaining I also wandered why it says as required I guess I need to figure out how that mesurment is taken before I go any further thanks for the advice 

Posted

I guess I will ask why you had the gearbox apart?  If you only took it off the engine to do engine work, and now are just reinstalling it, you maybe don't need to measure it.  If it was good before you took it off, it should be still good now, I think.  JImChuk

Posted

I heard that California power systems may have a service bulletin explaining the tolerances and shim requirements.

I have a new cbox and wanted to spec out this as well, but have it lower on the to do list right now :wacko:

If ya find some info, please post!

Posted

I know that info is in my large Rotax repair manual.  Problem is, that manual is 1500 miles from me.  Maybe someone else has a copy and can scan a page or two and post it.   There was also a section on the C gearbox in CPS's proper care and feeding of the Rotax engine, although I'm not finding that particular section online either. Don't remember if that article discusses the shimming though.  JImChuk

Posted

I couldn't get Leni's links to open, but did get Aviator Sed's to work.  His is the second to the last post.  This is the manual I have and referred to in my previous posts. 

If you look at page 116 of the manual he links to, you will find the info on shimming the gearbox.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Jim. I used the 'share' symbol directly from Paul's post thinking that would link his post rather than the thread, shows what I know, lol. :dunno:

1 person likes this