AirForceSurvey.thumb.jpg.abf9932e8be8d22

3 people like this

Posted

Sorry, Joey.  Couldn't resist...

1 person likes this

Posted

Pretty accurate 

Posted (edited)

I tried to go into the Air Force, but the waiting list was too long and I couldn't get a job because nobody wanted to hire a person my age who had not been in the Military, so I went into the Army.   In my unit, we fell out at Revelle formation with starched Olive Drab fatigues and caps, clean shaven, and polished boots every morning for inspection.  I stayed at a joint AF & Army base a couple of days while in transit waiting for a plane to get repaired - When they had formation in the morning it was a sight I had never seen before - The AF guys were in all sorts of clothes, from sport coats and white shirts to bright flowered shirts and Bermuda shorts with no caps or caps of red, green, yellow and various styles - It looked like a vacation crowd at Tampa Florida!  Unfortunately, I had to go back to the Army base where every thing seen was Olive Drab, even the airplanes.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Yea, my Dad was in the 8th Air Force and he said the stories about how cushy it was are true. They rode 4 hours on oxygen to visit some nice tourist towns, and then rode home in time for dinner. A lot of times hundreds of fighters flew by to greet them. He said if it got bumpy, you could walk home on the flak. I guess he was really sad that he never saw real combat. But things were sometimes rough, they lost more airmen in the Mighty Eighth than all the US Marines who died in WWII, difference was they didn't have as many photographers. Funny, he visited dozens of cities, but they never landed........

d0e66074bbe1d7463ae95caa1e5b9740.jpg The 94th BG, Bury St. Edmunds, England. The smoke is coming from a former FW 190 factory that someone didn't like very much. 

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yea, my Dad was in the 8th Air Force and he said the stories about how cushy it was are true. They rode 4 hours on oxygen to visit some nice tourist towns, and then rode home in time for dinner. A lot of times hundreds of fighters flew by to greet them. He said if it got bumpy, you could walk home on the flak. I guess he was really sad that he never saw real combat. But things were sometimes rough, they lost more airmen in the Mighty Eighth than all the US Marines who died in WWII, difference was they didn't have as many photographers. Funny, he visited dozens of cities, but they never landed........

d0e66074bbe1d7463ae95caa1e5b9740.jpg The 94th BG, Bury St. Edmunds, England. The smoke is coming from a former FW 190 factory that someone didn't like very much. 

I was proud to be part of the Bloody 100th my first 4 years in the Air Force based out of RAF Mildenhall, UK. The bloody 100th was recognized by the Box D on the tail flash and originally flew out of Thorpe Abbots.

IMG_6413.JPG

Edited by C5Engineer
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I cant even start to compare my military service with those who fought in WW1 or WW2!  I just served my time.  As far as the comparison between Army and Air Force, I'm just glad we were all on the same side!  We would crawl out of our snow-covered sleeping bags in the mountains to the sound of the planes passing overhead.   Loved that sound!   Life in the military is seldom easy.  My Dad was in the Navy in WW2 - I spent 4 or more days with 1199 other seasick soldiers on a troopship in storms in the Atlantic, and was so glad I didn't have to go into the Navy!   The weather cleared and we were a day early coming into New York, so they stopped us many miles away.  We all went on deck to get fresh air and I looked down and there were sharks with their noses to the sides of the ship all the way around.   I was really glad to set feet on dry ground again!

Salute to you and your Dad, and all who served.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

That's funny !!! My Dad was a Air force t-38 mechanic and my older brother was in the Army started off as field artillery then ended as a heavy truck mechanic . My brother always teases my dad about him being in the air force . I myself was never in the military, for one I turned professional riding bikes around the age of 16 and by the time I was 18 I already had a double left knee surgery and my left shoulder had surgery. Long story short my hat's off to all you guys who served no matter what branch . I know I wouldn't be able to live the life I have without you guys .