Trailering a Avid

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

When trailering a Avid with the tail up in flight attitude is it ok to run a bolt or such through the tube and bolt it to the floor near the tail post to take the weight off of the tail?

Edited by Bandit

Posted (edited)

I have seen several instances of the back of the fuselage getting bent doing this.  With the wings folded there's a lot of weight on the tail and all of this would go through the bolt.  IMO, there needs to be some "spring" or shock absorption to handle the jarring.  

Your Bandit, being as light as it is, may be more tolerant to this than my heavier plane, for instance...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Would the double spring tail wheel hold it ? 

Posted

I've hauled several Avids long distances with the tail supported like I did on this Kitfox 4.  I hauled it up from Texas to northern Mn.  No damage on any of them.  Probably over 3000 miles on all of the trips.  JImChuk

Photo0583.jpg

Photo0586.jpg

Posted (edited)

I think a big part of bent fuselage is guys hauling them on car trailers etc where the plane is not heavy enough to actually use the trailer suspension.  That's why light weight boat trailers or purpose built plane trailers are the way to go. 

:BC:

Edited by akflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

The trailer hitch that you could get for an Avid or Kitfox mounted onto the cross tubes in the rear of the fuselage.  With that hitch, all of the weight of the tail end of the plane was supported by the cross tube that I used to support the tail of the plane in my pictures above.  That is how the plane was designed, so I'm not surprised to have no damage when I hauled these planes like I did.  No doubt, having a softer suspension in the trailer helps to smooth out the bumps as well.   Probably the factory hitch had some flex in it also.  I have never used the hitch myself so I can't say for sure.  JImChuk

Posted

I use the factory tow bar and yes there is some flex in it and the fuselage itself. The rear end of the airplane is built like a brick shithouse! The hole your referring to is made just for towing. Mark, you should be good towing it.  Bryce

Posted (edited)

I made a bracket with a gas strut that bolts to the rear hole in the fuselage for towing. Then I mounted the bracket to the floor. I rocked the trailer back and forth and the fabric wrinkled above the tow hole. Took the bracket off and set the tail wheel on the floor then strapped the tire down as if I was going to trailer it. Rocked the trailer back and forth, no wrinkling of the fabric. I am thinking maybe  should just strap the tail wheel down and go. I do have the tail raised to flight attitude while in the trailer. Maybe I should hard mount it to the floor like you did Jim.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

It worked for me for lots of miles.  YMMV   JImChuk

Posted

I decided not to Bolt my airframe to the gas strut bracket. I just raise the tail and slide it under the double spring the weight of the tail holds it on the bracket. Now there is no bending of the longerons or wrinkling of the fabric. I ran snow chains over the main gear to hold the front of the airplane. Now the whole airframe is free to move separately from the trailer.

IMAG1375.jpg

IMAG1374.jpg

Posted (edited)

Love the idea!

Name that sled suspension...Polaris XLT?

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

I thought it came from a old 625 Polaris? Does that sound right?

Posted

600 or 650 triple would make sense.

1 person likes this