USB 4A dual smart charger port

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I remember a while back there was some people running Ipads that were having problems with them staying charged even when plugged into a 12V source. It appears this guy has done his homework and knows more about USB chargers than any one person should know. Ron D. I know you had some problems with this and I assume you figured it out by now. I just ordered one of these to wire into my new Avid since I plan on using Foreflight and my Stratux set up for Nav. A little spendy at $75 but it'll be nice to not have to worry about my stuff dying or toasting a charger. It appears theres a lot more to it than just a cig lighter charger.

http://www.commitlift.com/usbchargers.html

Posted

I just read the guys entire book. You're right he knows way more than anyone person should about USB chargers. Now I realize why I've had issues with some of my things charging before though. Thanks for the post. 

Posted

Got this gizmo in the mail today. Pretty trick. 

IMG_6646.JPG

IMG_6642.JPG

IMG_6647.JPG

Posted

Joey - have you installed/used your new USB charger yet? If so, how's it working? I saw that Appareo just introduced a dual port USB charger at AEA, but they want $350 for it! If this one is working well for you, $75 looks to be a bargain for a panel mounted unit.

Posted

I have not installed it yet. Been too busy flying the other one. Flying weather has been perfect around here the last month.

Posted

USB chargers are twitchy little beasts.  I don't have many issues with them not charging, they either do or they don't, and the iPad is happy to tell me when it don't ('Battery not charging' when it is plugged in).  Particularly with the new lightning connection ones, if the lightning connector on the cable doesn't have an apple license chip, no chargy.

With an iPad 3, regardless of what USB charger you use, it will not charge as fast as the battery discharges if the screen is on full bright, and the CPU is working (like using an aviation app in full sun......)  The best I can get out of mine is about 6 hours.   If it doesn't overheat first.

They can also be noisy beasts.  If you have radio noise issues, the first debugging step should be to remove any USB (or other) adapters plugged in to any power source.  I've had noisy ones that were expensive, and quiet ones that are cheap.  I've decided I just have to try them to find out.

Mark

2 people like this

Posted

Wow, I didn't know this was so much of an issue. So are the Androids any better about running out of "gas" than the iPads? I am not an "i" guy anyway. ;)

i have a billet cig two bank cig charger for my phone in my truck, and it charges it faster than the power strip or the factory cord, plug, etc.

Posted

12v USB Chargers in general generate TONS of RF noise.  If you find one that doesn't add noise to your radio (even the radio in your car), hang on to it.

1 person likes this

Posted

We don't all have the same experience. I'm using an iPad 3 powered through a 2 amp converter (had to go through several before finding one that didn't generate too much static..) If I start with the iPad fully charged it will stay charged without any problems, nor does it over heat (when fully chaged and given 2 amp it appears that the battery is working less and therefore not heating much).

However, extende use of gps and navigation program (AirNavigation Pro) will keep it warm and if it is mounted in direct sunlight it can get too hot an power down. I have fresh air comming trough a tube to the back of the iPad support to keep it cool. During my 2 weeks this summer with 90 dehrees and merciless sun I never had any issues.

1 person likes this

Posted

12v USB Chargers in general generate TONS of RF noise.  If you find one that doesn't add noise to your radio (even the radio in your car), hang on to it.

Yeah, I found one that worked well and decided to order a second one, guess what... right "this product is no longer available". 

Does anyone recognize this? NOT limited to USB chargers!

Posted

Fred

Interesting...  I ordered the one you had mentioned earlier as being a quiet adapter. I've not yet used it so I have no additional information     Lou

Posted

Wow, no kidding. Mine is a 3 bank with a 2.1 amp, 2 am, and 1 amp. I usually plugged it in my console, but after I read this, I moved it to the dash to get it closer to the radio. Absolutely no noise. Even on AM. It is not 4 amp though... ? NLA, go figure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGUTB86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow, no kidding. Mine is a 3 bank with a 2.1 amp, 2 am, and 1 amp. I usually plugged it in my console, but after I read this, I moved it to the dash to get it closer to the radio. Absolutely no noise. Even on AM. It is not 4 amp though... ? NLA, go figure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGUTB86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not alone... Clicked your link and got "Currently unavailable"....

Posted

Hooked up the commitlift dual USB charger today. No noise but in a friends plane he is getting noise but I suspect it is going to be a ground fault some where.  More to come when I get it in the air and give it a real test.

Posted

Well save your money although they are quite they will not keep up with the IPad any better than the $5 model.  Sending mine back for a refund.

Posted

Just an up date I've been working with Dean very gracious but didn't nave an answer. Still planning on returning them and he is agreeable to that.