Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

designing your own plane?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

If a guy wanted to design and build his own creation how would you go about doing so? Can you just start building and see what you come up with? I'm thinking something like the super stol gear, Larry's Tail, and them STI style wings like kitfox uses, All those parts have proven to work safe and well, really all that is left is filling in the blanks between,

Posted

If you mean FAA wise, I don't think they would stop you.  Lots of one off planes built or at least started.  I guess I would try to use a fuselage that would bring those parts you like together.  (sounds like a Kitfox fuselage to me)   Either a prebuilt one or a copy of it with the changes you need or want.  My thinking and thoughts are like this.  I'm not that much of a designer, or structural engineer, so if it  worked fine in the past, why not use it again cause it's already been tested..   Just my random thoughts,  Worth what they cost you.  :-)   JImChuk

Posted

That's what my buddy Dave did with his Sputzee.  

He took an Avid C fuselage, modified it heavily, added Kitfox wings and control mixer, Airdale tail, lots of Wag-a-Bond parts from the plans he had and out came Sputzee. 

1 person likes this

Posted

image.thumb.jpeg.d254f9b5ec40baa6f1201d4

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

As one who has struggled with this - I would start with a fuselage that is the right length and width for your bird - usually there are some bargain bare fuselages on ebay and Barnstormers, or new ones from Wag-aero.  I found a good design book and have lots of pages of my own calculations using the proven formulas in the book, and have spent time around the airports measuring different plane parts and getting ratios that were used by the spam can factories.  Anytime you have to make a custom part it is going to take a lot more time than buying a standard part.  It's sort of like making your own custom car one piece at a time when there are good cars coming off of the fast factory assembly lines.  I love the challenges but the rewards are much slower coming than putting together a kit or buying a bird that is ready to fly.  But, you will always have the satisfaction and knowledge of "I did it my way"!   FWIW  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Two big deals:

Balance- the parts have to provide control and balance throughout the flight envelope, so the designer has to do some calculations for tail sizing and elevator authority, and main wing location relative to CG. Work with someone who has done it to make basic assumptions for your design.

Structural strength - the pieces have to stay together through the worst maneuver, often a high speed dive and pullout. This stresses the wing itself (spar strength) and the wing and tail attach points. Based on the loads generated by the pieces (used in the balance calcs above) make the structure able to stand 1 1/2 times those loads without bending or breaking. Remember, the FAA would like the wings to stand 4 g's on a normal aircraft, and an experimental shouldn't compromise on this basic strength. One way to assure strength is to load the structure up with sand bags that test it.

http://aircraftdesign.com/

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/xenosdev/xenosarchive3.html

Posted (edited)

If you want a bit of encouragement or courage, or some laughs, just look at the videos of the early 1880's to 1920 contraptions that were designed to fly 100 years ago - some did and some didn't!   We are far advanced in our knowledge of flying machines.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If you want a bit of encouragement or courage, or some laughs, just look at the videos of the early 1880's to 1920 contraptions that were designed to fly 100 years ago - some did and some didn't!   We are far advanced in our knowledge of flying machines.   EDMO

(Magnificent men and there flying machines) what a great movie,

1 person likes this

Posted

(Magnificent men and there flying machines) what a great movie,

I think I have a video that is even better - unfortunately I cant remember the title, and wife just packed all my vids away to clean out our cabinet - will look for it and try to post sometime - it was really funny and educational too.   EDMO