Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HAND-HELD TUBE BENDER???

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Where can I buy a hand-held tube bender for 1/2" diameter aluminum tube, and how much do they cost?  Cheaper is better!   I heard that there is a bender like this for copper pipe.  My tube bender only bends 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 tubing.  Guess if I get serious and really cheap I can make one out of the right sized pulley.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Won't an electrician's conduit bender do the trick?  I have several different sizes.  JImChuk

th?id=OIP.q61sLQ_GOUhDCGh7NVRA0QEsEs&w=1

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

Jim, I have one large conduit bender, but I want to bend aluminum to a small radius, 90 degree bend, for top of window/door frames.   I had a good floor-mounted rod / tubing bender In Alaska, but sold it.   Ed

I think I found one or three at Harbor Freight - got to go for Presidents Day sale.   Ed

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I bought one from Baileigh, It does work nice, but there is many cheaper ones on ebay for less than half what I paid, They look identical just different colors, I have learned the more money I spend on tools, the easier they are to use, :)

100_1079.JPG

Edited by TJay
1 person likes this

Posted

I totally agree TJay, but for just making 4 bends for 2 windows, I don't want to spend a lot for tools - maybe cheaper to just have someone bend them for me if I don't find or make a cheap tool?  EdMO

Posted

Draw out or describe what you need Maybe I can help.

Posted (edited)

Draw out or describe what you need Maybe I can help.

OK - later today - got to go measure door frames.  Do you have different size inserts for your bender?  Thanks,  Ed

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yeah on 1/2 I can only bend 2.25" radius. 

Posted (edited)

Jim,  I just made a quick check on the door radius - looks like it is around 1" inside radius - going to be hard to cold bend 1/2" tube to fit inside that.  Got to think about this some more.  Possibly use conduit, copper or plastic 90's?  Thanks anyway for the offer.   EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Is there any reason you can't use a hard angle for them so that they can just be put together with a gusset and riveted? Obviously I would weld them if other than aluminum but sounds like it would be lighter to go with the AL. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I will have to do some thinking about this possibility.  Maybe square tubing would work better?   Thanks,  EDMO

Is there any reason you can't use a hard angle for them so that they can just be put together with a gusset and riveted? Obviously I would weld them if other than aluminum but sounds like it would be lighter to go with the AL. 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I think I may just put in a sliding window.  EDMO

Posted

What do you use for an H channel.

Or what about a fiberglass window frame that is about an inch wide laid on to your window for a perfect fit, Then cut out the window underneath and rivet the top of the frame to the existing window, the fiberglass would act as a hinge, If you only want it to open like 3 inches, Sounds really nice in my head, not sure if that makes any sense on paper,

Posted (edited)

I've got some 1/2" U channel and some 3/8" U channel - one slides inside the other.  The material I have looked for the most is some 1/2" 90 degree Z shape for several uses.  Just another engineering or design challenge to be figured out.  Now wondering if I want the front half or the rear half to slide.  ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Better be careful, you get the windows in that means its ready to fly, and that means you'll be looking for something to do.

Posted

Better be careful, you get the windows in that means its ready to fly, and that means you'll be looking for something to do.

Ha!  Probably Not!  And, I can always take the doors back off and do more work!  EDMO

3 people like this

Posted

Thanks for the post.  I was looking for a bender to bend 1/2" aluminum tubing, however the ad for this one says 3/16" tubing.   EDMO

Posted

I bought one from Baileigh, It does work nice, but there is many cheaper ones on ebay for less than half what I paid, They look identical just different colors, I have learned the more money I spend on tools, the easier they are to use, :)

100_1079.JPG

I like that. So it is more geared to bending steel conduit?

Sorry for the thread hijack ED! :ph34r:

Posted (edited)

Don't apologize for the honest post - And if thread highjacking got people banned then not many of us would be on here.  :BC:  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

100_1079.JPG

I like that. So it is more geared to bending steel conduit?

Sorry for the thread hijack ED! :ph34r:

She is pretty robust, I wouldn't be afraid to put 1/8 walled tubing in it,

1 person likes this

Posted

EDMO,  You may already know this but... One thing I do when bending up some tubing is to fill it with sand first.  This keeps it very round around the radiuses.

Posted (edited)

I was looking for a bender to make aluminum door frames, but so far I have not found one that will make a radius that small in 1/2" tubing.   Maybe welding them is more practical, and you could make them with square tubing?

Thanks,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

EDMO,  I used a version of that bender I posted above to perform compound bends in 1/2" polished stainless around fairly tight radiuses on a supercharged corvette I built some years ago.  https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-38048-Heavy-Duty-Bender-2-inch/dp/B008ULY74G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490981683&sr=8-2&keywords=1%2F2+tubing+bender

I have to think this tool is up to the job of bending up AL for a door frame.

41J7fuKGLsL.jpg

Edited by Knuckledragger
1 person likes this

Posted

That one looks like a winner!  If I was going into door production I would spend the $$$ for it.  With my bum shoulder, I guess I better stay retired!    Thanks,  EDMO

1 person likes this