Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wiring

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Not sure why Im even asking this as Im half way finished, but Im wiring my airplane now and I have been soldering and shrink tubing all the connections.Someone told me that I should be using electrical connectors and use a good pair of crimpers.I have always soldered all the electrical connections on my dragster and have never had any problems, I cant imagine my airplane shaking more than my car.I guess old school isnt always the best.Are any of you guys wiring gurus? Randy

Posted

Not sure why Im even asking this as Im half way finished, but Im wiring my airplane now and I have been soldering and shrink tubing all the connections.Someone told me that I should be using electrical connectors and use a good pair of crimpers.I have always soldered all the electrical connections on my dragster and have never had any problems, I cant imagine my airplane shaking more than my car.I guess old school isnt always the best.Are any of you guys wiring gurus? Randy

I would like to think that soldering and heat shrinking is about the best way to do wiring and I don't want anything but the best for my plane. Almost everything on mine is soldered minus the last few things I did which was adding two 12V outlets and my fuel flow gauge. I crimped them only because I was being lazy and in a hurry. They work fine too just like my soldered stuff. If I was building and had things all apart and accessible I would solder all the way....thats just me though.

Posted

The only reason to prefer crimped joints to soldered joints is the flexibility. Soldered joints are more prone to cracking and failing where flexing may occur from motion or vibration. Additionally, when these joint do fail, they often have very rigid and jagged edges which can poke through protective tape or shrink tubing potentially causing shorts and fire hazards.

IMO - I would say the best in-line splice or joint would be a crimped, uninsulated butt connector with a flexible shrink tubing over it.

Posted

Bob Nuckoll of AeroElectric Connection says there is no significant difference in a properly soldered versus properly crimped joint on a wire and cannot cite any reason for saying that one technique is better than the other with respect to service life in your airplane. You can see his 'poor man's splice' recommendation here http://www.aeroelect...der_Sleeve.html

Posted

Bob Nuckoll of AeroElectric Connection says there is no significant difference in a properly soldered versus properly crimped joint on a wire and cannot cite any reason for saying that one technique is better than the other with respect to service life in your airplane. You can see his 'poor man's splice' recommendation here http://www.aeroelect...der_Sleeve.html

Thanks for that article,sometimes its the simple things that make the most sense.I like how he wraps it together with the couple long strands to hold everything in place.I have tons of wiring left so I'll give it a whirl. Randy