First Flight AVID Model C Rotax 912 ULS

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Video is first flight of AVID Model C with HH upgrades with Rotax 912 ULS.  Took off at half throttle.  Full throttle torqued the plane to left and almost off runway.  Happened so fast I forgot to use rudder.  Very smooth running engine.  Some bugs to work out.  To much air running through cowling causing it to run to cool.  Otherwise I am very happy with the upgrade.  Prop is to large.  Causes the drive to chatter when rpm is to low.

Edited by lv2plyguitar
1 person likes this

Posted

Way to go.  I don't idle mine below 1600 and for the most part about 1900.   Just made my cowl opening half the original size by glossing in the lower half to the split line and they are still larger than thy need to be.

Posted

What airport is that?  Liked the video.   EDMO

Posted

Way to go.  I don't idle mine below 1600 and for the most part about 1900.   Just made my cowl opening half the original size by glossing in the lower half to the split line and they are still larger than thy need to be.

Can you take a picture of your cowling and post it wypaul?  Thanks

Posted

What airport is that?  Liked the video.   EDMO

Big Lake, Alaska

Posted

Can you take a picture of your cowling and post it wypaul?  Thanks

I should get back out there tomorrow and then remember to take the photo is the next thing. It is not paint as of yet.

Paul

Posted

Prop is to large.  Causes the drive to chatter when rpm is to low.

I could have told you that.  The Magnum is far outside the MMOI for a 912.  Gearbox damage will be the end game with this prop, in fairly short order.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the heads up.  Already looking for another prop.  Which one do you suggest? 

Posted

I tried to tell you the magnum was way too much prop for it.  The medium is still pushing it.  Lots of info out there on props for the 912 mr. 

Posted

People seem to like the warp or the whirl wind.  they love the Kiev but replacement blades seem to take a long time to be delivered (3 months plus) in many cases.

Posted (edited)

Seems like the Warp Drive HPL 3-blade 70" is common for the 912 - best is probably tapered tips and nickel edge which adds about $360 to the cost.   Guess the IVO runs smoother, but is not as tough.  just repeating what I have been told.  Is that runway at Big Lake still gravel - or am I thinking about another in that area that was gravel in the 90's?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The 70" 3-blade with nickel leading edge and taper tips is at the absolute maximum MMOI for a 912.  I have repaired several gearboxes from this heavy prop.  Accuracy in setting pitch angles and dynamic balancing is critical.

Whirlwind and Kiev are lighter and more efficient.  I've become a big fan of my Prince, efficient, light and inexpensive.   The Catto has a great following for the same reasons, but it is a lot more money.

Posted

Jeff told me the rest of the story; he had the IVO Magnum for the 0200 he had bought for the Merlin; then sold the plane and engine.  IVO told him it should work on the 912.  It works but not right according to the experts.  Larry, what length, weight and cost is your Prince?  What is the max for the 912?

Here are a few still pics from yesterday of Jeff's flight.  After Jeff went home I escaped the low overcast at Big Lake and flew out to the Knik; beautiful night out there.  I tried to capture it here; could not get the deep blue of the glacier face ice to really show good though.

I landed at a spot where I saw a black wolf earlier in the winter.  Thinking I need to go back early some morning and do some calling.

DSCN2280-1.jpg

DSCN2281-1.jpg

DSCN2282-1.jpg

DSCN2289-1.jpg

DSCN2291-1.jpg

DSCN2298-1.jpg

DSCN2299-1.jpg

DSCN2301-1.jpg

DSCN2303-1.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

My Prince is 78x48".  The prop itself weighs 9 pounds. I think cost was ~$1300.  I think this may be too long without significantly lengthened landing gear on an avid. 

IMO, I would look first to a 3-blade Whirl Wind for that plane. 

Posted

Here are couple of photos finish work is not complete. 

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Okay Thanks.  Man that's a huge hole in the bottom.  Are you still running on the cooler side?  What's your oil temp?

Posted

The lower opening is the radiator and the oil cooler is on the back side of that.  The oil temp runs about 175 this time of the year if I don't cover part of it.

Posted

I have read that oil temp needs to reach at least 180 to burn off condensation inside engine or maybe premature wear can take place.  My first flight up my oil temp was 141.  I have some work to do to reduce air flow through the cowling.  Right now it has gapping holes everywhere.,

Posted

That $8xx New Kool prop that was listed in For Sale section might be a good buy - I just saw another like it for $1300.  ???  EDMO

Posted

Lv2plyguitar- Did you do a fuselage stretch when you convert to the 912? How did you manage CG?

Posted

No fuselage stretch.  The firewall forward weight with mounts and everything was about the same as the original 582 setup.  The CG is perfect.  I can pickup a 912 by myself.  Very light engine.  The 582 setup had a lot of steel for the mark Iv mount. 

Posted

Thanks ! 

Posted

Also - where did you get your engine mount ?

Posted

Leni on this forum may be able to hook you up with engine mount.

Posted (edited)

Leni built the engine mount for Jeff's Avid and for my Avid Plus.  He built a jig so he can fabricate these now.  He posted a thread on this forum showing the one he built for me; excellent work.  Look under the Avid/ Kitfox parts and suppliers, Fat Avid 912 mount.

Edited by SuberAvid