Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New home for 279AF

6 posts in this topic

Posted

The guy I'm currently sharing my hangar with is moving and recently informed me he was turning the hangar back over to the city on the 1st of Feb. The drive out there sucks and after him banging up my airplane I was ready for a change anyhow. I put up an ad at the airport that is closer to my house. They are super anal about their county hangars and do not allow people to share and there is a 5 year waiting list. BUT..they have a bunch of privately owned corporate hangars. One guy owns half of them and he called me up and offered me a spot on one of his lifts and the price was right. I'll have to pull out a Grumman and lower mine down to go fly. I didn't think I was going to get a spot at all let alone one that let me keep my wings unfolded so I'm pretty stoked. The best part is I'm now 9 miles from house to hangar and it takes 12 minutes where before I was 22 miles and 40 minutes away. Heres a sneak peak of the hangar...I'm moving up in the world :buttrock:

Lots of cool stuff in this hangar. The owner really hooked me up. He gave me a spot for my work bench and full access to all the tools in the hangar.

IMG_5562.jpg

This is a Model I Kitfox with an NSI Soob on it. That's the same engine my plane had on it when my Dad first found it. Good engine but a boat anchor on these planes because of the weight. Sounds like this one has not flown in a long time. Pretty sad. I guess the owner paid huge bucks to have it custom built...what a waste of a good airplane. I will be on the same exact type of lift as this one.

IMG_5558.jpg

Posted

Sounds like you lucked out. Good luck with your new home. Always good to hear of a HAPPY ENDING. Russ.

Posted

Congrats, Joey! That 40 hour phase I will be gone in no time, now!! :buttrock:

Posted

The guy I'm currently sharing my hangar with is moving and recently informed me he was turning the hangar back over to the city on the 1st of Feb. The drive out there sucks and after him banging up my airplane I was ready for a change anyhow. I put up an ad at the airport that is closer to my house. They are super anal about their county hangars and do not allow people to share and there is a 5 year waiting list. BUT..they have a bunch of privately owned corporate hangars. One guy owns half of them and he called me up and offered me a spot on one of his lifts and the price was right. I'll have to pull out a Grumman and lower mine down to go fly. I didn't think I was going to get a spot at all let alone one that let me keep my wings unfolded so I'm pretty stoked. The best part is I'm now 9 miles from house to hangar and it takes 12 minutes where before I was 22 miles and 40 minutes away. Heres a sneak peak of the hangar...I'm moving up in the world :buttrock:

Lots of cool stuff in this hangar. The owner really hooked me up. He gave me a spot for my work bench and full access to all the tools in the hangar.

This is a Model I Kitfox with an NSI Soob on it. That's the same engine my plane had on it when my Dad first found it. Good engine but a boat anchor on these planes because of the weight. Sounds like this one has not flown in a long time. Pretty sad. I guess the owner paid huge bucks to have it custom built...what a waste of a good airplane. I will be on the same exact type of lift as this one.

Congrats on the new hangar! looks like a sweet place to have your toys....

You sure that is a model I ?? the doors look like they are atleast model II and it looks like a speed wing too from the angle you are showing. :dunno:

:BC:

Posted

Congrats on the new hangar! looks like a sweet place to have your toys....

You sure that is a model I ?? the doors look like they are atleast model II and it looks like a speed wing too from the angle you are showing. :dunno:

:BC:

It might be a II..the tail looked like the original one but I could be wrong. Were the early KFs undercambered like the Avids? I bet that thing is a total pig with that NSI on it. My airplane weighed close to 700lbs empty when we found it with that NSI on it. That engine is 200# plus ready to run because it's got a big redrive on it. I think my Dad is going to run it on his CH701 he's building. :sharedoobie:

Posted

Finally got a short break in the weather today to make a run for the new airport. Was running 95-100mph the whole way there trying to get in ahead of the next front. The lift works out pretty awesome. My Avid get's to be airborn even with it's parked! I forgot the damn camera but I'll get some pics posted next time I go out there to fly.