Cuyuna UL 430 RR engine

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I have just recently acquired a Avid Flyer model "A", with a Cuyuna engine. Very hard to find info on it. It has a planetary drive on it with no information listed on it. Has anyone any information on this. 

Posted

What serial #, and N #?

Posted

SN of engine is 20050. The plane was purchased in the bones, no documentation.

Posted

IMG_20170302_083816[1].jpg

Posted

IMG_20170302_083847[1].jpg

Posted

IMG_20170302_085120[1].jpg

Posted (edited)

The Cuyuna engine was not a very reliable engine, but was available in these early planes.  Quicksilver used them as well to begin with.  When Rotax took an active role in making their engines available with a gearbox for airplanes, they took over the market.  And for a reason!  You would probably be well advised to consider a Rotax 503 or if you want water cooling, a 582.  Another option if you want a 4 stroke engine would be to go with an HKS engine.  That would work very nice on a light A model.  My first Avid was a rebuilt A model.  I have a friend who has an A model with a 55 HP Hirth engine as well that I have flown.  JImChuk

PS  I had a Cuyuna engine in my Quicksilver MX.  (my first airplane)

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

The planetary redrive is mostly comprised of Ford automatic transmission parts.

Unless you are wanting to make a "historically accurate" restoration, I'd strongly recommend a different engine.  A 503 would be an excellent choice, IMO.

Posted

Yep..... Will make a good airboat engine..... Looking at a Hirth 

1 person likes this

Posted

Might want to chop the firewall forward off and weld in the regular engine mount attach bushings while you have it bare. I also have posted a fuselage strengthening modification that was required for Euro imports. It was really only just a couple added tubes. I'm sitting in a hospital and don't have my files, let me know if you can't find it with a search.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hope you're visiting someone else Doug.  JImChuk

Posted

Any info will be appreciated.... Looking at a Hirth..... Electric start... Will have to lop the front off and rebuild..... 

Posted

My friend with the A model has a Hirth in his plane as well.  Another friend of his  helped him with the welding, and they kept the original mount, but altered it enough so the bolt pattern on the Hirth engine fit the mount.  Don't think it was much of a deal if one can do the welding.  The Hirth is inverted, just like the Cuyuna was before.  JImChuk

Posted

I was thinking that would be the case....

Posted

Wondering what kind of load the wing can handle with the al tube spars

Posted

I believe that the gross weight on the A model was a bit less than 800 lbs.  Avid did test to much higher weights than that.  I have a picture somewhere showing them testing a B model wing to about 5.5 Gs for a half hour with no damage.  That was their wing though,  who knows what yours would take.   I believe your wing has .065" wall thickness spars.  That is not the weak point.  Kitfox goes up to 1550 gross weight with the same spars.  Different spar stiffeners, different lift struts, heavier carry throughs, ect, ect.  All those effect the gross weight possible.  JImChuk