Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fat Avid Update

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Well I will give this a try. For those interested in the Fat Avids, here are some fairly recent pictures of my project. Hope to have this flying this summer 2010.

Randy

post-75-12630059857582_thumb.jpg

post-75-12630060204455_thumb.jpg

post-75-12630060537443_thumb.jpg

post-75-12630060870282_thumb.jpg

post-75-12630061189522_thumb.jpg

post-75-12630062364275_thumb.jpg

post-75-12630062779121_thumb.jpg

post-75-12630063129254_thumb.jpg

post-75-12630063881391_thumb.jpg

Posted

Well I will give this a try. For those interested in the Fat Avids, here are some fairly recent pictures of my project. Hope to have this flying this summer 2010.

Randy

Looking good Randy!

Have you run the engine yet? what prop you planning on running? Did you have to bend you wing attach points at the fuse like Jack did? Do you think the crimping of the tube is detrimental? I would be tempted to put a gusset of some sort on it to get the strength back in that area....

:BC:

Posted

Hi Leni,

I have run the engine and it has had its share of bugs. I set it up on test standand ran it but I couldn't get a stable tach reading and didn't have a good throttle set up for it. I was had both steam gauges and the MGL guages hooked to it; it took a while to get the MGL guages programed correctly and the water sensor probe was not reading correctly compared to the steam guage. It turned out to be the sensor probe and I got another one that read correctly. Then I messed with the tach for a long time calling RAM Engines where I got the dual ignition distributer and MGL, trying a bunch of different resistors, etc. and hooked up a tiny tach to it as well but it couldn't get a stable reading either. Also, I didn't have enough ir flow through the radiators to run it too long at a time. I ended up sending the distributor back and got a diferent one with a different set of ignition modules. Also had a slight water leak out of the brand new water pump so I replaced that with another new one. Meanwhile I installed the engine on the airframe and now the tach reading is good but it started running rough and I noticed a slight drip out of one if the head bolts so replaced the head gasket and determined that the head bolts that the motor mounts anchor to were no longer at proper torque. It seems the paint on them flowed out when the engine heated up and created the problem. Got it all put back together again now but have not started it again; will wait for warmer weather. I plan to do a lot of ground run ups with the tow bar on until I am satisfied I have all of the bugs worked out. banghead.gif

I have been watching the engine discussion; I don't disagree that it would be nice to have the $18 - 20K for a 912 but I just don't have that $ and I wanted to try a 100hp 4-stroke. I will see if it is worth the effort and what the performance ends up like. I guess this is why these birds are called Experimental.

I got a 72" 3 blade ground adjustable Warp Drive prop for it. I have a 70" Warp on my Avid so I am pretty familiar with it.

My airframe had the same problem as Jack's with the wing attach points. I built a jig off my Avid fusalage and heated and bent the forward carry through tubes to fit the jig. They didn't have to move real far; one about 1/8" and one about 3/16". flamegun.gif After talking to Steve Windner he didn't think it was that big a deal but I welded in tabs as well just to bring back my comfort level.

I will plan to meet up with you when you are back in town if you decide to fly out to Fish Lake /Willow/Wolf Lake area. I hope to have the new starter for the Avid by next week and be back in the air. Are you planning on going out there on the weekend, 1/23/10?

Randy

Posted

Hi Leni......

I will plan to meet up with you when you are back in town if you decide to fly out to Fish Lake /Willow/Wolf Lake area. I hope to have the new starter for the Avid by next week and be back in the air. Are you planning on going out there on the weekend, 1/23/10?

Randy

I am not sure if I will be flying up or not... seems I have done something stupid and ended up in a boot on my left leg and ankle.. not to easy to get in and out of the plane. good thing I dont have to mess with toe brakes this time of year! If I can get into the plane and head up your way I will let you know. I could have had my kid shoot the starter to you and you could have been flying already! I took mine down to Garys electric in Soldotna and had it rebuilt for about 50 or 60 bucks (cant remember but know it was under 100 by a long shot) new brush plates etc. were 35 bucks.

I am real interested to see what kind of performance you get out of it with the subie. You new gear looks beefy!

Posted

Leni,

Sorry to hear about your ankle; hope that you heal up quickly and it doesn't slow you down too much. If you are able to fly and plan to head out this way; let me know the date. Shoot me an email at rktyler@gci.net . I definately want to coordinate a time and location to meet. Also, if you are planning any trips out to Fish Lakes Creek Lodge or Skwentna area, day trip or overnighter; I would like to tag along.

Thanks for he starter offer; I already had one ordered when I read your message. Hope to have it installed tomorrow. Sounds like it will be worth keeping the old one and getting it rebuilt for a spare. We got a little new snow after the 60 - 80 MPH wind pounding we got earlier in the week stripped all our snow off the Wolf lake ski strip (side grass). I need to get back in the air again, I haven't had a chance to fly for weeks now.

The nasty wind wrecked a Cub at the Palmer airport that made the paper; tore the tie down loop and strut out of the spar and flipped the wing over on to the other winge and rolled the cub up on it's side. It always hurts to see good airplanes ruined. Sure nice to have the hangar, it lets me sleep at night.tongue.gif

Randy

Posted

Leni,

Sorry to hear about your ankle; hope that you heal up quickly and it doesn't slow you down too much. If you are able to fly and plan to head out this way; let me know the date. Shoot me an email at rktyler@gci.net . I definately want to coordinate a time and location to meet. Also, if you are planning any trips out to Fish Lakes Creek Lodge or Skwentna area, day trip or overnighter; I would like to tag along.

Thanks for he starter offer; I already had one ordered when I read your message. Hope to have it installed tomorrow. Sounds like it will be worth keeping the old one and getting it rebuilt for a spare. We got a little new snow after the 60 - 80 MPH wind pounding we got earlier in the week stripped all our snow off the Wolf lake ski strip (side grass). I need to get back in the air again, I haven't had a chance to fly for weeks now.

The nasty wind wrecked a Cub at the Palmer airport that made the paper; tore the tie down loop and strut out of the spar and flipped the wing over on to the other winge and rolled the cub up on it's side. It always hurts to see good airplanes ruined. Sure nice to have the hangar, it lets me sleep at night.tongue.gif

Randy

I saw that in the paper... dang near wanna cry every time I see something like that. If mine was not on floats still, I would have it in the garage every time i leave for the slope. Having it at the airport with me not being able to go check it make me nervous.

Still trying to figure out what I am going to do this time home, or if I can push a rudder pedal... or climb in and out of the avid without passing out :lol:

Posted

Ouch! Be safe.

Posted

Randy- that's a great looking project! I can't tell you how many times I've been around and around on engine choice but I believe the Sube is a good choice for this airframe. Actually, I was pretty hot on one of Ron's FI engines for a long while myself, doesn't hurt that RAM is only a 5hr drive from me. Did you build your new gear from scratch or beef your old gear? Doesn't look quite as tall as the Airdale W.I.B. gear, maybe it's just the pic angle. Curious where you found the seats too, I tried a pair from a boat outlet but needed more room between the seat cushions for my console and center throttle quadrant. After hearing what you and Jack had to do to fit your existing wings, very glad I didn't have to deal with that. So far, have to say, I'm pretty happy how complete and easy my full kit is going together. How fast is something altogether different tho...

Posted

Hi Doug,

Ron at Ram seems to be a good guy. I got my dual ignition distributor setup, alternator and serpentine drive pullies and dual radiators from him. He was good about switching out the ignition system when I was having trouble with it. I was on the phone with him quite a bit and he was always patient and helpful.

I like the Sube motor and sure hope it is not too heavy to keep the plane from performing well. I am looking for an honest 100hp with real torque. I thought about the VW, and Honda but the Sube's seem to be the most common alternative for the Avid type airframe. The Rotax 912S is no doubt the lightest 100hp 4-stroke but I just can't stummac the price. The Jabaru seemed to work best with shorter props so didn't seem to be the best fit for STOL. the Corvair might be good but I was already commited to building the Sube when I started hearing more about the William Winn engines. The reason I originally bought the Fat Avid frame was so I could put a Sube on without adding lead to the tail. I was looking at sending my Avid to Airdale to get it stretched but Steve talked me into the Fat Avid as a better alternative. He was absolutely right; the room in the Fat Avid is amazing compared to my Mk IV.

The new gear is actually 5 1/2" taller than the Airdale WIB gear. I have the Airdale gear on my Avid and used it to develop the jig for this gear. The width of the gear is the same as the Airdale gear and the position of the wheels but I increased the height and widened the top to connect to the airframe at 3 points. I also increased the tubing diameter by one size since all of the tubes are longer by quite a bit. The reason it may not look as tall is because the tailwheel is sitting on a 5 Gal can in the pictures and I only have the 21" tires on it. I places the bottom of the door frame about waist high in the front (I am 6'-1").

I got the seats from the aviation departiment in Walmartwink.gif. You guessed it, they are boat seats, I took them off of the frame and tossed it, then built a set of rails for the bottoms with cutouts that hook over the seat frame tubes and screwed these to the bottom of the seat bases so you can move them forward and back by hooking them in different cutouts. I drilled the Airdale seat back frames and screwed the seat back cushions to them so they adjust with the pins as intended. Other than a lot of time messing around to get it to work right if cost me less than $40 each and they are pretty darn comfortable. It left about 4 or 5" between the seats and I plan to mount my intercom there.

They are easily removable so I can lay out full length from the cargo area to the seats and sleep in the plane. I intend to build a light frame to bridge the truss tube behind the seats so I have a flat area to lay a pad.

I have enjoyed looking at your pictures and posts. It is great to be able to see how you have solved problems and answered questions. With Jack and I located close together it has been a great help to be able to bounce ideas off of each other and to help out with the work where it has taked an extra set of hands. I think I am mostly on the receiving end though. I sure appreciate all of Jacks help and the help and advice of everyone on this forum. Thanks.

Randy