Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Heat Rejection Control

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Havent been able to fly the Fox much this winter due to snow, however the snow pack has receded enough to get out for a nice flight this morning.  In the Fall I added a heater and airflow control to the radiator (louver kit from HighWing).

What a difference that made.  Easy now to control temps (and not to mention keeping the heat flowing in the cockpit).

DSCN5375.JPG

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Good informative Post - got any more info or photos?

First time I have heard about the Highwing louvers and heater - What landing gear setup do I almost see?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

The exchanger is an upgrade to the OEM. It is the Merle Williams unit.  Has more surface area than OEM and provides noticeably more cooling capacity in actual operation.

Lowell at High Wing built the louvers to mate with that exchanger (I sent it to him for a custom fit).  The Louvers used to be part of his standard product offering until he closed up shop last year.  It is controlled via a push-pull cable routed to the cockpit along the coolant lines. When I contacted him last Fall he was amenable to making another set, so I got lucky in that regard.

Using the High Wing gear as well. I been very impressed with the gears performance (80+ hours now and close to 200 landings in various conditions).  I have seen posts about similar units and spring rates, however no problems on this end.  I do have a lighter unit (Model III with 2 stroke) so that might have some bearing on things.

Actually, have been very happy with all components I have purchased from both High Wing (electric trim, landing gear and louvers) and Merle Williams.(wide body kit, header tank, door latches and exchanger). 

Edited by LSaupe
1 person likes this