Avid tricycle gear

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Here is the connections for the Bandit tricycle gear (front steering).  Might mention I tried to use weaker springs to make the steering easier, but the weaker springs allow the wheel to lock up at extreme right or left.  Need the heftier springs to pull it back to center. Live and learn.  The bolt going through the center tube was the one that broke in half.  Replaced with an AN4-32 bolt and have had no further problem.  Still keeping a close watch, though.

Avid front conn 2.jpg

Avid front conn 3.jpg

Avid front conn 1.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

I had this setup.  Checking the through bolts was part of every pre-flight, as they were undersized for the task and would bend and had to be replaced occasionally.

I also put a skid under the tail and kept the nose up or as light as possible always.

Posted

I just built and received a/w cert in October 2017.

Is your plane flying now.?

Reason for asking, I would love to see it and measure different parts of the flight system.  like flapperons etc.

I'm in Ocala, keep the aircraft @ marion county x35

Phone is 404-409-5308

Thanks  Jim

Posted

One year and 5 months later and the AN4-32 bolt broke in half.  Evidently I have two choices:  drill a bigger hole and use a bigger bolt (which may take a couple of years to break), or figure out some other way to connect the rudder shaft to my front wheel.  Suggestions?

Posted (edited)

The connection to the rudder is largely to compensate for P factor on takeoff before you lift the nosewheel. The assembly is adequately strong for this purpose. The stock nosewheel assembly is a castering (sp?) type similar in concept to, but looks nothing like the RV style. The centering springs are just to center the wheel during flight and to make sure it is pointed straight for initial touch down of the nose wheel. Most likely the bolt is breaking because you are "turning" the plane on the ground with rudder rather than using differential breaking to turn the plane. 

Edited by Chris Bolkan

Posted

Here's the fix if your breaking the bolt for the steering rod.

Travis

Avid_steering_mod.thumb.jpg.4797b7dfccad6194a1f664103b6be38e.jpg

Posted (edited)

Here's the fix if your breaking the bolt for the steering rod.

Travis

Avid_steering_mod.thumb.jpg.4797b7dfccad6194a1f664103b6be38e.jpg

Hello. I am looking to fab up a system like this. Where did you get the parts, drawings, etc? Thanks

Edited by Supermotive

Posted (edited)

I have a tail wheel now. I also need to fab the through pipe coming through the floor. 

Edited by Supermotive