Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gen 4 Jabaru

3 posts in this topic

Posted

There's a guy on the Kitfox site all excited about soon installing a generation 4 Jabaru 2210 (85 hp) engine in his model IV.

By itself this is not really noteworthy, but he later states that this will be his THIRD Jabaru installed on this airframe!!  Now that is noteworthy.

1 person likes this

Posted

Some people are slow learners??  Just kidding for sure.  I have an early Jabiru in my Avid MK IV.  Wonder how many hours he has put on the first 2 engines.  Hope they have the bugs figured out and removed on these new engines.  JImChuk

Posted

Jab Drivers and others...

I have had two Avid Flyers. A model B which was totaled in a less than perfect landing on a Sierra Back Country touchdown and it's replacement a MK 4 which has extra leg room so you don't have to sit in the gynecological position.

I have had 5 engines on the model B in the 4300 hours I flew it. One Rotax 532, two 582s and two Jabirus. The MK4 has the Jabiru 2200 removed from the model B. It went 1195 hours before a valve seat dislodged and did some damage that should not happen again due to the new recessed pistons that were installed when I sent it in for a complete overhaul.

As you all must know, engines are mechanical and mechanical thing do fail and they will fail earlier if not installed and maintained properly.

As Mr.  Chuck knows, there has been much discussion on the good, bad and ugly related to the Jabiru engines.

My flight group a KAJO consists of 6 aircraft who make annual treks to the Idaho back country where much faith in a reliable engine is needed.

Two of the aircraft are Jabiru powered and the rest are varying iterations of the Rotax 912s. These range from the 100 HP to the 140 HP Big Bore modifications.

We have many hours around the campfire discussing who has the more reliable engine. We keep the discussions light with the help of our favorite libation.

After many years of flying together we all realize that both engine brands have their own issues.

Jabiru engines have gone from straight lifters to hyd lifters which was not thought out very well and caused problems. There were issues with flywheel and engine through bolts, over heating and over the years these have been addressed.

My Rotax wingmen have had to deal water leaks, gear box vibrations and rebuilds and Sprague clutch replacements. I might add here that Rotax replacement parts are 2-3  times higher in cost than Jabiru parts which, in many cases can off-the-shelf items purchased at NAPA Auto parts.

So we no longer razz each other about which has the best engine. We just hope it doesn't fail over one of the deep river gorges in the back country.

John M

4 people like this