EFIS EZ 3.2

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Guys,  I've been chained to the desk since early January working on this project.  Its a fully functional EFIS that I plan to sell at a fraction of what similar models cost.  It's pitot static driven, so no artificial GPS altitude and airspeed.

Please watch the short video and give me your comments, ideas, requests, and most important to me: your criticisms.  Also, if you like what you see, please help me spread the word in other forums where this would be appropriate. 

I've developed several intuitive visual cues that allow you to fly with the display without having to "study" it just to see if you're flying right.

The model in the video is a benchtop prototype.  I fly with it as well, but the point is the finished product will be more refined and cleaner looking.  It has a 3.2" (measured on the diagonal) screen and will fit neatly over a 3 1/8" gauge space.  There is a picture in the video that shows it standing next to a standard altimeter to give you a sense of size.

I plan to retail this for around $359 complete.  Nothing extra to buy.  Hook it up and fly.  If there is enough interest, I can arrange a group buy for members of the forum to keep the price under $300 per unit.

I'm working with a manufacturer now to design the final product.  We hope to have units to sell by summer.

Thanks for your time!

Robb

2 people like this

Posted

yes please, I will take the prototype today!    Looks exactly like what I am looking for mr!!  Where do I send the money or the paypal??? You know you need the product tested in the colder climates to make sure you dont have any weather bugs right??  :lol:

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Im impressed, I too may be interested,was thinking about changing my panel if I do I'll get back to you,nice job.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm very interested as well!

1 person likes this

Posted

I could probably peddle a few of these...

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm interested!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Robb,  

It looks like you've really been working the details. Do you have specs for the unit? Input voltage range, ambient temperature, altitude range? Is it designed for a remote magnetometer or is it all integral to the unit?

The video was interesting but I had a little trouble keeping up with the text describing the features. It could be easier to follow if you had a good voiceover. 

1 person likes this

Posted

How many units do you need to order to get the price under $300?  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I like it and am interested as well.  Can you calibrate out compass errors (or at least try to)?  Any dimensions (depth) and weight?  Just a 12V DC hook up?

Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

Guys, thanks for the great feedback!

Sed, et al:  Those are great questions and some I can answer, some I definitely need to work on - especially the ambient temperature one.  Living in Florida makes that one a bit more tricky.

The unit will use ship's power, 11-14VDC.

It should sense and calculate altitude well above where most of us fly, but to keep costs down, its designed for non-pressurized cabins.

The magnetometer is in the unit.  But I'm interested in your thoughts about remote mounting the mag. 

I'll work on a better video soon.

Jim: let me think on the minimum order quantity for a group buy.  I've been thinking about a Kickstarter, which would offer a discount for all who wanted to pre-order units.  With Kickstarter, if enough orders are placed, would enable me to start manufacturing in quantity sooner.

One other note:  Since I'm the creator of the firmware that drives the display, I can work with people to provide custom units.  One thing that seems popular is the splash screen when the unit boots up.  I'm talking with a couple of a/c manufacturers and will put their logo in the splash screen for use in planes they build.

Robb

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted

Robb,

If this works out I would be down for 3 of them.. one in each bird.  As I said before, if you need one tested in more extreme temps I will be your huckleberry! 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

The magnetometer is in the unit.  But I'm interested in your thoughts about remote mounting the mag. 

Remote mounting the magnetometer might be a later phase, but would make installation errors and your calibration routines easier to deal with.  If I were to do it I might use an I2C sensor (eg NXP MAG3110) with a level shifter to extend the distance.  Here's one possibility for the level shifter: OnSemi - Fairchild FXMA2102.pdf

Posted

Very cool!!! Take my money!!! :BC:

Posted (edited)

Man thats cool ! I'm not really into gadgets and tech stuff but I might have to get one . I can get the Top gun soundtrack playing and pretend I'm in a f-14 hahaaa . Who wants to be my Iceman ? Robb can you make me a speedo tach type deal for my motorcycle or is that something that can't be done ? I ride a bare bones Kawasaki bobber no front brake and suicide shift . It's done up old school and the tank was pinstriped by my buddy .  I could figure out somewhere to hide if haha . Om enough non airplane talk I got to excited over electronics for once . 

20150223_224052.jpg

(1)Screenshot_2016-05-02-19-24-30~2.small.jpg

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

I could absolutely make something for your scoot ChopNDrag.  Ideally we could design something that other bike owners would want too, to make it worthwhile.

Contact me offline with your ideas. 

Posted

Send me your number again . I got a new phone and lost some contacts . I'm always at webster swap meet and guys are getting crazy now with the gadgets and there bikes . Could be something to definitely look into doing.

Posted (edited)

This looks like just what I'm after as well. I've been googling affordable efis's (efii?) and this is the best I've seen. 

Is the display "sunlight readable"? I have a Challenger ultralight (no electrics) and the cockpit is pretty bright.

Please let us know about the group order!

Edited by Soarsimon
1 person likes this

Posted

This looks like just what I'm after as well. I've been googling affordable efis's (efii?) and this is the best I've seen. 

Is the display "sunlight readable"? I have a Challenger ultralight (no electrics) and the cockpit is pretty bright.

Please let us know about the group order!

Its about as sunlight readable as other similar products (except Dynon, those guys have really nice gla$$!).  My goal with this version is to keep the cost affordable for all of us "budget pilots".  I'm tracking to be able to take orders by Oshkosh this year. Currently still testing and tweaking.

The reason more affordable units aren't available is the software driving the attitude indication is VERY tricky to get right.  There are lots of guys showing their unit, sitting at a desk and moving it around - including me at the moment.  This is because in flight, without the right software, they drift and act weird.  The ones that do work in flight jump to over $1000.  The guys with working units miss the sub $400 sweet spot because (IMHO) they load up the unit with screen cluttering features and fanciness. 

I'm grateful to be collaborating with another avionics company, enabling both of us to share costs and pass this savings on to the flying community.

I know its a bit altruistic, but I want XP Avionics' first product to be something that makes this wonderful technology accessible to a broader range of pilots.

When my prototype is ready, I'll make a flying video.

I've also started work on 2 1/4" very lightweight digital gauges that are affordable and nice looking.

5-15-2017 1-23-41 PM.jpg

5-15-2017 1-25-18 PM.jpg

Posted

Outstanding!

I'll repeat what I said earlier, this looks like the best I've seen. Thanks for your work in bringing this to the market!

Im looking forward to seeing the digital gauges but the efis really looks like the perfect thing for me.

Posted

Ill buy one!

Posted

Rob,

I see the compass tape at the top of the screen.  Is it GPS driven, or do you have a compass built in?  Most of the in flight units include a GPS for more than just GPS airspeed/altitude.  They fix some of the drift problems by comparing a calculated attitude with the sensed attitude based on the rate of change in altitude/direction.  And they use moments they calculate no attitude changes going on to 'recenter' the attitude bar.  That is why most of the certified (Dynon D1/D2, Garmin G5, etc) that don't have anything but a GPS for altitude/speed won't display attitude without a working GPS signal (the dreaded red 'X').  Without a GPS, you should be able to do the same thing from the pitot/static inputs if you have a compass to sense direction changes.

But you probably knew all that already anyway!  :-)

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Very sharp.

1 person likes this

Posted

Rob,

I see the compass tape at the top of the screen.  Is it GPS driven, or do you have a compass built in?  Most of the in flight units include a GPS for more than just GPS airspeed/altitude.  They fix some of the drift problems by comparing a calculated attitude with the sensed attitude based on the rate of change in altitude/direction.  And they use moments they calculate no attitude changes going on to 'recenter' the attitude bar.  That is why most of the certified (Dynon D1/D2, Garmin G5, etc) that don't have anything but a GPS for altitude/speed won't display attitude without a working GPS signal (the dreaded red 'X').  Without a GPS, you should be able to do the same thing from the pitot/static inputs if you have a compass to sense direction changes.

But you probably knew all that already anyway!  :-)

Mark

Mark,

Great points.  The compass indication is driven entirely by magnetometer.  It has the same accuracy and fallibility as any decent magnetic compass.  I chose to use a ribbon over simply showing a number to help pilots (like me) know which way to turn.  With the ribbon, you just turn toward your new heading on the ribbon intuitively.

Your mention of fusing pitot static and barometric inputs to correct drift in the attitude indication are spot on!  This specific bit of functionality is probably the single greatest effort in developing this device and likely why so few people actually make it to market with a MEMS sensor based IMU EFIS.  This is the expensive secret sauce.  I'm very fortunate to have good friends and engineering collaboration in another avionics company here in my town (see below).

This EFIS has no GPS chip.  I may include GPS in another version.  This version is all about simplicity and controlling costs.

Altitude is calculated using a very accurate temperature compensated barometric pressure sensor taking input from pitot static.  I used the same sensor in a vario I built (for fun).  I could get it beeping by simply raising and lowering my arm while holding it in my hand. 

The EFISes that use only gps can't truly represent airspeed and altitude as a pilot requires for flight indication because, as you mentioned, they are calculated GPS values.  There are also some that use both GPS and pitot static and as such can provide some handy information such as wind speed and direction. 

EFIS EZ 3.2 uses only pitot static for airspeed, altitude, and VSI indications.  Part of the install is to tee into the pitot and static lines.  By using pitot static, you get the entire six pack: 

1. Airspeed (with v speed color banding)
  2. Attitude indicator
  3. Altitude (with ability to set current tower/AWOS field pressure)
  4. Slip Ball
  5. Compass
  6. VSI (with intuitive arrow)
  7. G-Meter

As mentioned above, I'm collaborating with Straight and Level Technologies (WingBug).  They share a mindset in wanting to bring affordable, quality avionics to pilots of experimental aircraft. 

Posted

Any more news on this?

1 person likes this

Posted

are these for sale yet I'm interested