Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WHOSE LANDING GEAR PHOTO w/ RUBBER PUCKS?

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Recently someone posted a photo of a Bush-type landing gear with combination of rubber pucks for shocks, and I lost track of it before I could ask questions - It looked like Butyl rubber and neoprene donuts on top of that.   I need some info on type of rubber, shore numbers, thickness, source, etc.   I have looked for die-stripper donuts, but not found any - do you have to cut your own from rubber mat?   Thanks,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I think that was the gear on the super bee.. it looks a lot like the AOSS system but its not in an enclosed can. 

Posted

I talked to Ron Davidson, and the ones on the Super Bee are all Black Rubber - The one I wanted had 2 neoprene pucks on top of about 4 Black pucks.  Anyone know whose it is?  EDMO

Posted

AOSS system ? I can't find any reference to it on the interweb. I too would like a rubber donut suspension but can find very little information. Rubber seems more practical for weight ? And would give a progressive rate of absorption so no chance of a metal dead stop.Getting the correct rubber would be important.I have he HIGHWING cabane setup which has done very well so far.

any suggestions appreciated ,Thanks

Posted

The price of those little rubber pucks will blow your mind!

Posted

Thanks for that,I don't know how I missed those sites.i will see if I can source the donuts locally but would need shore numbers or just experiment,my springs need replacing as they are settling,( or myselfe and JFA need to go on a Jenny Craig diet) thanks,any other information appreciated.

Posted (edited)

Univair used to sell the pucks and washers for the Ercoupes and Mooneys landing gears, but the later ones used Belleville washers instead of pucks.  And, the pucks were $pendy!   If we could figure out what hardness to buy, we could cut our own out of a mat a lot cheaper.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

AOSS system ? I can't find any reference to it on the interweb. I too would like a rubber donut suspension but can find very little information. Rubber seems more practical for weight ? And would give a progressive rate of absorption so no chance of a metal dead stop.Getting the correct rubber would be important.I have he HIGHWING cabane setup which has done very well so far.

any suggestions appreciated ,Thanks

Dusty,  I just read the article about building the Skyote88 in Kitplanes mag.  I contacted John Roberts, the builder for info on the "pucks" and he got right back to me with info.  These are open end stripper pads and come in various sizes and densities - the yellow is about 60 Shore A, and the blue or green is about 80 shore A scale.  He said he made his own washers to go between and to make them a larger OD than the pucks.   He gave me the site of "Polyurethane Products Corp. and I pulled it up and they show colors and densities and sizes, but no prices.  I've got to contact them for prices.  Ed

Scan0457.jpg

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Good info Ed!  JImChuk

Posted

Adding to my post above:  Looks like standard stripper pad sizes start small and go up to about 1" I.D. and up to about 2.6" O.D., but they say they can make custom sizes using a cheaper mold method they have.  I need at least 1.125" ID, so got to see what difference in price that makes, or buy rubber and make my own.  EdMO

Posted

What sort of stripper pads are they Ed?  And I'm not being nasty, it's an honest question.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

What sort of stripper pads are they Ed?  And I'm not being nasty, it's an honest question.  JImChuk

Sorry Jim,  I should have explained it better.  That's an honest question that I will try to answer.

I am a retired Toolmaker and used to do punch and die work.  They use both steel springs and rubber - now polyurethane - pads to hold the material down as the punch withdraws after making a hole or some sort of forming in a press, mostly in metal - so they "strip" the metal off of the punch.   OK?  BTW: Where would a stripper put a pad?  Uh-Oh  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the info Ed,I also was a little confused on the terminology I will follow up on thes when time permits.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info Ed,I also was a little confused on the terminology I will follow up on thes when time permits.

Dusty,  I am probably sloppy with my words:  They are listed as "Open End Punch Strippers" on the Poly site.  

The "Shore scales" with "A" being the softest part of the scale, are used for the hardness of rubber type materials, much like the "Rockwell scales" are use for hard material, the most used is "C" for metals.   The lower the number the softer the material is.  He experimented with different ones to tune his landing gear, with the yellow 60A being the softest, and for harder "bumps" used the Blue or Green 80A on the bottom end.   Hope this helps.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

This seems like a much better way of doing it than the steel springs that get used on the bush gear.  Hopefully someone will run with it, and figure out how much of what color works for our aircraft.  Maybe someday I'll get around to putting the tubing together that I have had hanging off the ceiling for the last 3 or 4 years.   JImChuk