Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DAR appointment

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Well I have my DAR inspection setup for April 3rd.  However, when he sent my initial paperwork to the MIDO they came back and said that Avids are not on the "approved kit list" so I will have to prove that I built 51% or more.  To do this the DAR fills out a worksheet that shows the work that was done by the manufacturer and the work that was done by me for each section of the airplane.

I have no doubt that I can prove 51%, but I was wondering if everybody else had to do this?

I know there is no common sense when it comes to federal regulations, but you would think this kit would have been approved by now?  Or that the fact that it is basically just like a kitfox might make sense?

What did you guys experience?

BTW the FAA is sending two guys to look over the DAR's shoulder...Yipee!  They did this to my buddy Jon too!  What do I care at this point?  I just want to get airborne!

Here is is the location of the Approved Kit list

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/media/amateur_built_kit_listing.pdf

Here is the checklist to prove 51% that the DAR will use

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/media/AmBuiltFabAssyCklistFW.pdf

Thanks,

Ron

Posted (edited)

Ron,  I may be mistaken, but I thought that YOU had to fill out the Scratch-built (forgot the FAA number) sheets that prove you did 51%, if not on approved list?  I thought this had to be submitted to get your inspection approved for that airplane, before inspections could be scheduled.  Please let me know how it turns out.  I know that form has to be filled out for my scratch-built, since it was not from a kit.   It could be that since Avid is no longer in business that the Kits are no longer approved?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Ron - as someone who is working on completing an Avid kit, I'll be interested to hear how this turns out for you. Good luck!

1 person likes this

Posted

Funny .I got the two faa shoulder hangers too .

1 person likes this

Posted

If the FAA is going to send two guys over just don't have your DAR show up. Then they will have to do it for you for free. If they will be there anyway what is the difference? You're right, none of it makes any sense. I see that the Kitfox are on the list, realistically it shouldn't have made any difference since they are so similar. I guess they do take into account that the pull sheet is different so that kicks it out of the list. Sounds strange to me. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I had a dar send me the list when I was going to finish my SkyRaider. Looking at the list it didn't seem like a big deal.  It would have made the 51% rule. I didn't start the kit, but he said we could work that out.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes...once I fill out the paperwork I'll try to remember to post it so others can follow my lead.

ED,

The 2nd link I posted above is the paperwork you are talking about, I'll post a copy when I'm done...You aren't going to have any problem reaching 51% with your exotic bird!

Ron

Posted (edited)

I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes...once I fill out the paperwork I'll try to remember to post it so others can follow my lead.

ED,

The 2nd link I posted above is the paperwork you are talking about, I'll post a copy when I'm done...You aren't going to have any problem reaching 51% with your exotic bird!

Ron

Ron,  I have already looked at the old forms for scratch-built, and did some head & ass scratching trying to figure out some of the numbers, but discounting the factory-made parts, such as Grove landing gear, wheels, brakes, engine, prop, tanks, etc., but including the assembly of all of them, I should be somewhere around 90% or more, I guess? 

Good Luck to you on the inspection, and we are all waiting for a detailed report.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I was just looking through the list of airplane kits, and see that it does not list the Kitfox 1, 2, or 3.  It starts with the Kitfox 4.  Maybe the updated list is for currently produced kits and/or from companies that are currently in operation.  The company that produced the early Kitfoxes is gone and so is Avid.  TJay, did you list your Kitfox 1 as built from parts or as a kit?   JImChuk

Posted

I was just looking through the list of airplane kits, and see that it does not list the Kitfox 1, 2, or 3.  It starts with the Kitfox 4.  Maybe the updated list is for currently produced kits and/or from companies that are currently in operation.  The company that produced the early Kitfoxes is gone and so is Avid.  TJay, did you list your Kitfox 1 as built from parts or as a kit?   JImChuk

My is registered as built from a Kit, we'll see what I have to deal with this year too.

Posted

The reason the Avid and any other kit that has went out of business is not on the approved list is the manufacturer must apply to be on the list.  In other words there is no path to get on the list without the manufacture doing the necessary paperwork to be approved. 

My DAR had me complete the form before he came down to do the inspection.  I sugggest that you do the same, it will save you at least an hour of time with the DAR and you are the one that is required to fill out the form and sign it anyway.  It really is pretty simple once you get into the  swing of it.

the 3rd will be here before you know it that is exciting, it's getting close to that big day now!

Posted

Thanks Paul!  I did exactly what you said, filled out the form and sent a copy to the DAR.  The FAA has now delayed us to the 12th and my DAR actually got fed up and told them to either be there or too bad!  No more changing dates...

Posted (edited)

Thanks Paul!  I did exactly what you said, filled out the form and sent a copy to the DAR.  The FAA has now delayed us to the 12th and my DAR actually got fed up and told them to either be there or too bad!  No more changing dates...

Ron,  I don't know what you have done as far as runups and checking things, but you are allowed to taxi-test your plane before an inspection - Just NO FAST TAXI which could get you in trouble on the ground or possibly airborne, and that is a NO-NO!  Guess you could pass some time that way while waiting to help the days pass easier?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I fail to see how the feds have control over seeing your DAR inspection. He is qualified to do it with or without them there. This boggles my mind. 

Posted (edited)

You are right lostman...I think the DAR might be subject to some kind of FAA oversight, but not this...This was a chance for the FAA to try to understand their own rules!  My buddy had the same thing happen and they spent 2 hours explaining the 51% rule to the FAA guys.  As long as the date doesn't slip again I'm ok with it, but if they try to move the date I'm calling BS and will ask the DAR if he wants $400 or not!

If this plane is unsafe I kill myself, but that old man that goes and buys the biggest RV on the road is good to go!

I'll stop there...before the crazy train jumps the tracks :)

Ron

Edited by RDavidson
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well I got my Airworthiness certificate!  Yeah!

It was purely a paperwork drill!  I used the packet that the EAA sells and it covered everything.  The only thing that could get you is that one of the forms requires a notary.

The two Feds bailed on us after making us delay for a month...didn't surprise me...

We talked a lot about the 51% rule and he told me to expect a little bit of resistance when I go to get my repairman's certificate.  He said that it is hit or miss between someone who understands Experimentals and someone who doesn't and the person that doesn't will be a hard sell.  Whatever, you set up the hoops and  I'll jump through them!

The DAR was a great guy with a lot of aviation history, but no Experimental background.  He only had me remove the top engine cowl, then he spent about 30 minutes looking things over.  He really didn't find anything, but did ask questions about some of my mods on the plane.  Of course my buddy Jon had warned me to make sure that I had at least 2 threads showing on all of my bolts and that my cotter pins were properly bent.

The one discrepancy he found was that the certification form was filled out with my last name, first name middle initial, and my data plate had First name, middle initial and last name.  He said the FAA would not accept that if I got ramp checked.

Overall it was painless and would have taken about 45 minutes, but it was a beautiful day and the DAR was a good guy, so the airport buddies all gathered at the hangar and we BS'd and lied for about 4 hours!  It was a good day.

If you have any questions, ask me before I flush the info from my memory...that might have already happened :)

Ron

Edited by RDavidson
1 person likes this

Posted

congrats on jumping through the hoops and getting the ticket for the bird!  now its time to get out and burn some sky!

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Congratulations!! Must be a great feeling to have that behind you . . . . .

1 person likes this

Posted

Congrats Ron - Now you can post up some numbers and hopefully videos that will make us jealous!  EDMO

1 person likes this