nose dragger mains

24 posts in this topic

Posted

I am looking for a set of prints or dimensions of nose dragger main gear.  Thanks  John

Posted

I am looking for a set of prints or dimensions of nose dragger main gear.  Thanks  John

John,  If I can ever get a set of Avid tri-gear I will try to help you somehow.  Did you figure out how to replace your elevator tube end?  EDMO

Posted

Mr.dholly gave me the part number.  thanks

Posted

I have a set of Nose dragger main gear that I am willing to trade for a set of tail dragger main gear.  I would prefer to go to taller wider than stock gear.

Dave in Western IL

Posted

I have a set of Nose dragger main gear that I am willing to trade for a set of tail dragger main gear.  I would prefer to go to taller wider than stock gear.

Dave in Western IL

I sent you a PM.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

John,  If you are going to sell the Avid, there might be more interest in it as a Taildragger with tall gear.  Wondering why then, are you wanting a nose gear? 

Oh, Sorry,  I forgot that the Avid you are selling is not yours!   Duh!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hi John,

Let me know if you want to buy the mains we talked about.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted

I'm Jim from florida, looking for a nose gear for my avid mkiv.

Did you find prints for main gear. ?

Posted (edited)

I'm Jim from florida, looking for a nose gear for my avid mkiv.

Did you find prints for main gear. ?

Since it seems like there is some increasing interest in the nose dragger gears, it would help more builders if someone has or could make some dimensioned drawings of the main gear and nose gear and post them in the Avid IV section or in Files and Forms.

Even pencil drawings or photos with dimensions would be good.  We probably have some members who could convert them to CAD pictures.

I would be interested too.  Thanks to anyone who can do that.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I can try and do the pencil drawings . I'm better at measuring and welding then making a drawing of anything. I'll be at my hanger Friday morning putting my starter back in anyway.

1 person likes this

Posted

Randy Moore is building me a set of gear.  Looks good    his number   731-589-1330  about 40 miles north of me 

Posted (edited)

Randy Moore is building me a set of gear.  Looks good    his number   731-589-1330  about 40 miles north of me 

Great - Please Post photos when you get them.   What price?  Did he have parts to copy or just TLAR?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I will try to get him on here so he can tell all about it.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I was under the impression that NG mains were conventional mains, just flipped around and mounted in the rear set of mount points under the door. 

I have a set of mains with the foot peg.  The mains on my nosedragger didn't have a footpeg and were about 6" shorter than the mains I have now.  I had plans to switch my plane to conventional using this pair of longer mains.

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted

Nose gear mains are different from tail dragger mains.  Looking from the side, on nose gear, the wheel is between the top mounting points.  On tail dragger, the wheel is at or just in front of the front attachment point.  Nose gear is also shorter.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I agree with Jim - You cant just swap sides with TD gears and make them work as ND - the tube where the bungees go will be on the back side instead of in the front.  Also, as he said, the wheel location in relation to the mounting points is different, and TD gears are longer.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I seriously need to get off my a$$ and start making landing gears . I got everything to do it then powder coat them after . 

Posted

I talked to a guy that has the mains and he measured them for me. The Nose mains were 4 5/8 shorter and 1 7/8 forward. They cant be swapped. I have a set of cabane wide gear that are moved forward 1 7/8 He said the width would take care of the height and it would be lower. Has a set in Texas he built. Building me a steerable nose gear now. He is suppose to put the information and photos on here

3 people like this

Posted

I talked to a guy that has the mains and he measured them for me. The Nose mains were 4 5/8 shorter and 1 7/8 forward. They cant be swapped. I have a set of cabane wide gear that are moved forward 1 7/8 He said the width would take care of the height and it would be lower. Has a set in Texas he built. Building me a steerable nose gear now. He is suppose to put the information and photos on here

John,  Does the fuselage tube that the nose gear tube goes thru have any kind of bearings in it, or is it just steel to steel tubing?  EDMO

Posted

No bearings

Posted

The construction manual shows bushings installed in the nose gear tube.

Jackak

Posted

I have seen tube type and original solid machined down

Posted (edited)

I would think that some bronze oilite bushings would eliminate some wear and make the nose gear easier to rotate. 

That's what I used for mine.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I agree roller bearings would help with steerable, I am waiting to see what he has built.