Kitfox 3 Bushplane Project.

210 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Looks great.  Yes, I have the Ray Allen T2-10A servo on my elevator (part of the Highwing LLC elevator trim kit).  Will try to grab some specifics tonight.

Servo is specifically:  RAC T2-10A Aircraft Spruce part number - 11-02058.  If I recall correctly you will need to make your own threaded rod to connect the ends.

DSCN3107.JPG

DSCN3443.JPG

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

^Yep, thats the servo, DHolly had one and it fits right on. Going to have to play with that and get that side of the elevator covered :)

Anyhow, finished the wing. Three long days of learning how to cover, some by trial and error, but it turned out ok. Couple small things Im going to do differently on the other wing but all in all Im happy with my first ceconite wing cover job. Good news is I get to put the other wing on the rack and do it all over again starting tomorrow, Practice Practice Practice. When will it end?

3F99D211-0B9E-47A6-8D4C-6B3F67D1AAE7_zps
F410BC2B-B5E3-463B-B9E4-017544C8E68D_zps
A29A3E7A-1321-47D0-B64D-ACFDBF46692D_zps
A89F9196-9842-483F-808A-9FDFC9FD6163_zps
BC034727-FFDB-470C-A30B-4C10054B1D9A_zps

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks great!

Posted

Not sure if you have seen this one yet.

http://www.ashleyncoffey.com/182-2/

533 lbs empty weight

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks great.  Yes, I have the Ray Allen T2-10A servo on my elevator (part of the Highwing LLC elevator trim kit).  Will try to grab some specifics tonight.

Servo is specifically:  RAC T2-10A Aircraft Spruce part number - 11-02058.  If I recall correctly you will need to make your own threaded rod to connect the ends.

DSCN3107.JPG

LSaupe, Will this servo take the full wind load, without a spring or cable on both sides?

Posted

Yep

Posted (edited)

Well second wing does go quicker, but not as much as Id hoped :/. Also got my fuel valves mounted today, the gussets I put on the rear wing carrythrough were the perfect spot! 

09741B69-5353-481F-B9CA-AFEC42B789EF_zps

D2EA665A-748C-4EF0-A2F3-510451A4C45C_zps

134886BA-0250-4594-B6E0-E2D46D9981EE_zps

E2B30109-1CF6-430A-99D3-0CC605101C25_zps

165CF772-CCE7-4EE7-A132-99ED0ECD4866_zps

Edited by Neloner

Posted (edited)

Also, even bigger news, my wife informed me we are purchasing a new property with lots of room for an airstrip! Should be fun, looks lke I could clear a good level 1200 ft strip, although might not need that with a 100hp model3 :)

6BB1EE0E-A446-4E57-820A-D8D37E203BF5_zps

Edited by Neloner
4 people like this

Posted

Lucky man!

Posted

Lucky man!

Indeed, really hoping I can get the plane semi-assembled before we move. Probably only a month or so away!

Posted

Lucky man!

Indeed, really hoping I can get the plane semi-assembled before we move. Probably only a month or so away!

I hear a chainsaw running in the near future!  ;<)  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Yea, gotta pluck and burn about 50 10-25ft pines and then get a blade up there for a day or two. Also a 40x70 barn I plan on converting to a hangar at least in one corner. Im going to be a happy guy when its all done!

On another note, how do you post in the for sale section? I have wing tanks, prop/ spinner and some other randon parts Id like to post up

Edited by Neloner

Posted (edited)

Yea, gotta pluck and burn about 50 10-25ft pines and then get a blade up there for a day or two. Also a 40x70 barn I plan on converting to a hangar at least in one corner. Im going to be a happy guy when its all done!

On another note, how do you post in the for sale section? I have wing tanks, prop/ spinner and some other randon parts Id like to post up

You post on the For Sale section same as you post here, and add photos same as here.   Some put prices, others want to PM from buyers.  I think when prices are posted, you don't waste your time or others time.  You can always put "or best offer".   I think someone was recently looking for tanks.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Just an FYI...

Kitfox issued Service Letter #22 warning of potential issues with that fuel shutoff valve location. As I understand, it *shouldn't* pose a problem with the new tanks. The center outlets don't unport as badly while aggressively slipping as the front outlets on the older tanks did. Just didn't want someone with the earlier tanks who was unaware of the SL to do the same.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/images/serviceletters/SL-22.pdf

Posted (edited)

DOH! Good thing I added ports to the header tank today so I can monitor the level in there as well as the wingtanks!

A0B0E9D5-DFD9-4583-8A43-2FB67CBCACB0_zps

Edited by Neloner

Posted (edited)

Picked up a bunch of powdercoated parts this morning! Had the panel done in crinkle bkack and the rest in gloss black. They are sandblasting a bunch for me as well to paint green like the plane. Paint should be starting soon too!

D31385CC-832A-41C8-A85C-C3DB5F3AF186_zps

Edited by Neloner
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Panel back in. Replaced all the fuses with breakers. Going to install all new switches as well as a couple of these old ones have iffy contacts. Also have to ad onefor the facet fuel pump I added. Luckilly I have the breaker for the no longer used LORAN system to supply power for the fuel pump :). Anyhow progress...

B1550058-8DE5-4B24-A5DE-2280725B900D_zps

C0AF57D3-17E2-478F-A035-D9CCAFBA37DD_zps

Edited by Neloner

Posted

Great progress! Now about that big hole in your panel... a Garmin GPS Panel Dock fits in a standard 6 1/4” avionics stack, and allows the GPS to be quickly removed from the airplane. Cutout measures 6 1/4”w x 4 1/4”h x 2 1/2”d.

Posted

Looks like you have it going your way!!!

Posted (edited)

Progress! Wrapped 2 sides of the fuse but waiting on installing the header tank I picked up today from powdercoating to continue. Im getting excited

5CD699DF-C11C-4596-ACE6-AD5DA53C720F_zps

D7E1CE7F-FA8C-4B66-8CCE-09B8B89F38EF_zps025D0B8E-82EF-4B0B-99B7-CF2039166A69_zps

Edited by Neloner

Posted

Looks good.  Do you have current draw figure for Facet pump?  Square or Round?  EDMO

Posted

Looks good.  Do you have current draw figure for Facet pump?  Square or Round?  EDMO

square, 40105. 1 amp I believe

Posted (edited)

Got a bunch of stuff from Powdercoat yesterday so spent a little while mounting tires and installing the header tank. Ran some fuel lines out of the tank through a filter to the Facet and up to the Valve in the panel. If anyone sees anything done wrong, as always, please chime in. Also installed the sticks back in to the plane and hit some parts that were sandblasted bare with some 2k epoxy primer so they can be painted to match the plane. 

78120B6C-A5E6-4637-AB6A-560A927B9938_zps
56159362-1886-42C5-9660-F12053AD558B_zps
52F7FBD0-7BE5-4396-81CF-09A59CF755D6_zps
CBCF4071-6418-4779-8DDA-305C25F55E9B_zps

E26943F0-736E-4F64-A56C-8F808A1DE13A_zps

Edited by Neloner

Posted (edited)

I think I can tell from the photo that your pump is located down near the elevator push-pull tube.  I don't know how low others have located theirs, or with what engine, but I know that there is a "maximum lift" listed for most of these pumps.  I plan to mount mine as high as possible, just under the bottom level of the header tank.  Guess you could check pressure at whatever height your fuel line will connect to carb to see if this will work with plane in climb attitude.   I still like a gascolator or drain valve under the header tank to check for water there, to quote the FAA, "at the lowest point in fuel system".  Just getting you to take a look before going farther with fuel lines.  Good progress.  Cheers,  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I believe most facet type pumps like to "push" rather than pull, so low mounting is preferable.paper element filters aren't recommended here as any water in them soaks and can freeze causing issues.

1 person likes this