Kitfox 3 Bushplane Project.

210 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I believe most facet type pumps like to "push" rather than pull, so low mounting is preferable.paper element filters aren't recommended here as any water in them soaks and can freeze causing issues.

Agree on both, but those pumps have a limit on how high they can push a certain pressure  - each model lists a different limit - That's all I know.  As long as they are just below the fuel level in the header they don't need to "pull".   Paper filters are not a good idea.  If you use the filters that Akflyer uses and put a shutoff valve between the header and filter, then the filter can be removed and cleaned easily.  You can always safety the valve each time you clean the filter if you are concerned about it being left "off".  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Little bit more progress, ran electric to the new fuel pump and trim tab (still waiting on my new switches to completely get wiring done) got the left side wrapped, and window installed. Also covered the rudder. 

3F453B0D-DEEC-44BE-A60E-A65C55685565_zps

201EED93-FB1E-4147-A217-CCA2E5CE8519_zps

2C7D9063-5AF0-4A60-B3B8-9377B25413F6_zps

Also going to need a new battery. What is the best route that will fit in the kitfox box? Would like more capacity vs/ lightweight

C47BE2E0-09CA-474D-A413-FF1ECB3C39EE_zps

Also this is for sale if anyone wants it. Sat for a couple years in a climate controlled shop but is in fantastic shape, just needs to be gone through quick and a couple things installed/ replaced. (Filters/ fuel lines etc..)

$13k

8D6634DF-847D-4C64-8549-ADBA822FDC8F_zps

5761BFFD-9A60-47CD-8BAD-B404BA5AF00C_zps

3BF0D4A5-F801-45BE-9CF7-C5CCD5B3D736_zps

0BAB911C-CEDD-4346-A56E-B29F4F5B882D_zps

Edited by Neloner

Posted (edited)

Well life has gotten busy the last few weeks so very little has been done on the kitfox. Trying to change that though and get the final fiselage finishing tapes done this week, then its off to the paint shop for everything. Had some fun the other day though flying another plane and took pictures of the reason life has been so busy lately. You can almost see the airstrip already

8F807710-C70C-4339-92E5-A74CC6DB4896_zps

EBD398FF-ABBC-46ED-800B-11CCC3BF846B_zps

Edited by Neloner

Posted

Nice place hope them neighbors don't shoot you out of the sky,

Posted

Painting is the funnest part of the covering process.  All the hard, tedious work of gluing and fitting finish tapes, rib stiching, ect,  that take so long to do.  I can't wait to start spraying chemicals.  Then if a half hour, you really see progress.  That's how I see it anyway.  YMMV  JImChuk

Posted

Painting is the funnest part of the covering process.  All the hard, tedious work of gluing and fitting finish tapes, rib stiching, ect,  that take so long to do.  I can't wait to start spraying chemicals.  Then if a half hour, you really see progress.  That's how I see it anyway.  YMMV  JImChuk

Wish you lived next door to me - You could have more fun!  :BC:  EDMO

Posted

^Amen. And not so much with stewarts. Waterborne paint is a pain

Posted

I've only used poly fiber systems.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Well it appears photobucket has ruined my thread. O well, progress being made. Wings are painted and coming home tomorrow, new roof going on the hangar amd got a dozer to try to get the strip graded right. 

e0e9b69cba0dbdc205d2.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

65a1b450dab6a966ef71.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

b2856d6480a456433292.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

Edited by Neloner
2 people like this

Posted

Wow!  You've been busy.  I wondered what had happened to you, no posts in I don't know how long.  Good to see the progress.  JImChuk

Posted

Wow!  You've been busy.  I wondered what had happened to you, no posts in I don't know how long.  Good to see the progress.  JImChuk

yup, still pluggin along. Project sat for a couple months as I worked on the airport/ barn (hangar). Many trees cut, many steel panels removed. Gotta get it all together because right now I have nowhere to bring the plane once paint is done!

6f8884bb7a45803f2c5c.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

b92edabee8d302ab38c3.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Roof is on ( still have to do the trim) and strip is muddy! Buddys loaning me a 20 ft disc so I can disk it all up and then drag/ roll it. Got the grade pretty close with the dozer though

8d74097b8d5dd486a53b.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

501c361fb6e502690988.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

Edited by Neloner
2 people like this

Posted

You are one lucky man!  Good luck with the field and the finish build!

Posted

You are one lucky man!  Good luck with the field and the finish build!

well Im one excited man, thats for sure. Barely flown at all this year but hoping that sacrifice pays dividends next year, I plan on flying every day! 

Dozer work is done, just needs a final drag and roll with the cultipacker. Prepping the forms for a concrete slab in the shop now, and installing a solar system as well to power the whole airport 

534cea4cb5ede53040d9.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

3 people like this

Posted

Very nice!

What are the final dimensions of the strip?

Posted

Roughly 1,300 by 100. Plenty for a kitfox fly-in

3 people like this

Posted

Absolutely!   Very nice!

Posted

Looking awesome! 

For those of you who have large areas like this to keep graded or if you want to groom them for ski flying in the winter, I have made up some CAD plans for a drag / groomer than can be made in a day easily and is around 300 to build, around 500 if you put the electric winch on it to set the cutting height on the fly (worth every penny to be able to adjust height on the fly).  It works VERY well for dirt. gravel and snow and depending on which one you build (have made a 4'X6' and a 5'X8' groomer) can be pulled with a "normal" snowmachine, 4 wheeler or side X side.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Little update, hope everyone had a nice Christmas. I havent accomplished anything in the plane in the last month or more, but hoping to get back to it this month. The goal is to have everything painted and home by march. Progress on the airport continues though, got the solar system up and running to power the property and also got a couple concrete pads poured as well. Bought a bigger mower Im fixing up since Ill be looking at 10+ acres of mowing once the strip is seeded and growing and hoping to buy a 30' wide roller at a farm auction tomorrow if Im lucky. Excited to get to the point where Im mowing and flying!!

637a2784cba479ffdc5a.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

106f7261dfd90b4475bd.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

0b9d8db2b93a4c46d5db.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

Edited by Neloner
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Livin' the dream.  My wife and i spent a good part of last Summer looking at property to put a house and strip on.  We have over 320 days a year here when the sun shines at least part of the day.  What we don't have much of is water, and land that does have irrigation rights would gobble up the budget too quick.  So we remain in an HOA and rent a hangar.  Oh well.  It sure is nice to see somebody who's broken away from the world a bit.  Good on you. 

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

Very nice set up.  It's good to see all your hard work coming together!

Posted

thanks guys, Just gotta wrap up this paint job and get her home to start final assembly. Paint has taken wayyyyy longer than I would have ever guessed. Thank goodness a friend from the local EAA has been helping me or it would have never gotten done

Posted (edited)

Flew around with a buddy the other day and got some pics of the strip, looks better than last time I flew over since I took down some more trees

f3d7c3521211e9154d32.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

7598a3cfaf055530f2e2.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

Edited by Neloner
3 people like this

Posted

Do you have an update on this build project, or some pictures of it?  Also, DHolly said this airplane is now for sale?  If so, I would definitely like to see some pictures.  Thanks

Posted

It is for sale. Im on vacation still until midweek but I will get in touch with those interested when I get home