Subaru exhaust pipe

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Wanted:  Right EA81 exhaust pipe.  Mine has the EGT connection, but I could drill that if you have one without it.  Mine broke right below the flange and might be able to have it welded (my welding leaves much to be desired), but would rather have a new or good used one.  Having one break in flight really gets your attention! 

exhaust pipe r.jpg

Posted (edited)

Don, you are probably looking for something as scarce as hen's teeth.  Other than getting an auto exhaust shop or aircraft shop to weld your pipe, the only other option would be to get a new one made.  Stratus used to claim that their exhaust-muffler system added 10 hp to the engine, but they are out of business.  I have seen some articles in Kitplanes or Sport Aviation mags about shops that make aircraft exhausts, but have not saved any of the info.  I have similar pipes on my EA-81.  You might contact RAM engines in North Carolina to see if they sell the pipes.  I would be interested in hearing what you find out from them. 

Added:  I was thinking about putting 12" long glaspaks on mine - wonder how that will affect them?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Send it over, Ill weld it up for ya,

Posted

Have some gussets tig welded In you'll be fine

Posted (edited)

If I was closer I would weld it it up for you no problem . I'm sure there's a local weld shop in your area that can knock it out quick . 

Ed if you don't have a muffler on your plane now putting glass packs should give you a little boost in performance. Back pressure helps a little and you might have to readjust your carb . 

Edited by chopndrag
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

If I was closer I would weld it it up for you no problem . I'm sure there's a local weld shop in your area that can knock it out quick . 

Ed if you don't have a muffler on your plane now putting glass packs should give you a little boost in performance. Back pressure helps a little and you might have to readjust your carb . 

I was thinking about the "2 Evils" of valves, plus some noise reduction:  "Wrapping the exhaust does not dissipate heat as fast and can cause burned valves."  "Short, open exhaust stacks can cause too fast cooling after shutdown and warping/cracking  of valves"  Seems like both would be abated by addition of short glaspaks.  Thanks,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Took the pipe to a local muffler shop and had the crack welded.  Thanks for the idea.  The tech said metal fatigue was evident in the upper part of the pipe, probably due to vibration.  I'm going to set a brace about 6-8" below the manifold to try to alleviate the vibration on both pipes.  Will post a pic afterwards.  This forum has saved me a bunch of time, and probably money too.  Appreciate all you guys.

1 person likes this

Posted

Took the pipe to a local muffler shop and had the crack welded.  Thanks for the idea.  The tech said metal fatigue was evident in the upper part of the pipe, probably due to vibration.  I'm going to set a brace about 6-8" below the manifold to try to alleviate the vibration on both pipes.  Will post a pic afterwards.  This forum has saved me a bunch of time, and probably money too.  Appreciate all you guys.

Don,  Please post some photos of your exhaust braces when you get it done - I probably will be doing the same.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

muf_strap2.thumb.jpg.0f45a8e91f03533ef87Exhaust pipe braces:  The straps and muffler clamps probably added 4-5 ounces to the bird.  Still, since they're so far up front, I'll redo my w&b sheet next weekend.  Didn't see any difference other than (maybe) a skosh more trim.  Not sure about that.  At least this way, if the other one does break off, it won't fall on somebody's cat.  (Can.t make the one pic show vertical.  You're just going to have to look at it sideways...date is on the bottom.   sorry).

muf strap.jpg

muf strap3.jpg

muf strap2.jpg

Edited by donhallwr
pic

Posted (edited)

Don,  Thanks for the photos.  As far as WB goes, this is not a "significant weight change", so no need to refigure as I read the FARs.  My weight changes more than that depending on clothes and meal prior to flight!  ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO