Hello From Canada Mark C Avid Project

85 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Doug, not sure if you meant me in your last post, but if you did, this is an Avid MK IV I'm showing.  I scratched built the fuselage widening myself.   If you look at the bare fuselage pics I posted above, you will see that Avid doesn't use standoffs like Kitfox, the 1/2" side former is welded right to the side of the fuselage.  My door widening tubing angeled back to the side former and is welded to it.  I would have gone further back, but that's where I run into the baggage compartment door.  I agree with your comment to Ed that he could maybe just move the wood former out to meet the fuselage widening tubing. 

DutchWillis,  I haven't gotten to attaching/fitting the doors yet.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I think my wood formers were used as kindling wood after they got broken in the fall from the trailer.  I modified the right side for a big baggage compartment and welded in the front part of the former in the process.  I totally forgot about the former on the left side and on the bottom until after blasting and painting, but I will figure something out.  

I scratch-built my cabin widening too, as well as about 99% of the rest of the plane - TWICE! 

I cant see paying $1150 plus shipping for larger elevators with electric trim, when you can modify yours for probably less than about $50, or at least under $100 in parts and tubing!

BTW:  Jim,  my Cabelos boat seats are 16" wide, so that two of them fit inside the 32" wide cockpit bottom - my butt has to fit in that space!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My plane has matco brakes on it already, and after going threw all of the build paper work it looks like they were purchased as an upgrade with the plane kit.

( my avid cost $18000 back in 1990 i have the original recielts )

Are these good brakes? Will i have some good holding capabilities with them?

Sorry about the horrible picture

20170326_083051.jpg

Posted

Willis,  The brakes holding static runup depend on two things:  1.  The size of tires - Larger tires usually require double-puck brakes.  2.  The power and thrust of the engine and prop - 912 engines have more than the 582 engines.  And, I will add - 3. The geometry of the pedal to brake connections makes a huge difference in braking power.  Most guys who have had a problem have modified their master cylinder to pedal link to get a 2.5:1 mechanical leverage, such as Matco describes in one of their posts on their site.  Hope this helps.  EDMO

3 people like this

Posted

Hey Jim on your pictures there is a small tube on the bottom of your door frame that runs vertical, It is about 6 inches back from the front lower opening of the door frame, this tube is inside of the fuselage what is it for?

Posted

Im ordering desser 27's so a brake upgrade is in my future i guess.  

What are your thoughts on grove gear? Is it something that'll take a little more abuse than my stock set up?

Need to decide on a tail wheel as well. 

Man and I thought my jet boat was expensive to upgrade!

Posted

TJay, if you are referring to the 5/8" ID tube that is just as high as the bottom door frame member, it's part of the door latch.  It's built like an old style screen door latch. There is a tab on the bottom of the door with a hole in it that lines up with that tube.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

My Matco brakes hold fine with the small tires. They hold a full power run up after I broke them in with a 582.

I just bought a Matco billet 8" tail wheel assembly. Very nice and light!

Edited by Fly-n-Low
1 person likes this

Posted

Did you go with the single or dual arm? 

Do you think the 8" is tall enough if i were to put on 27" desser tires?

Posted (edited)

Im ordering desser 27's so a brake upgrade is in my future i guess.  

What are your thoughts on grove gear? Is it something that'll take a little more abuse than my stock set up?

Need to decide on a tail wheel as well. 

Man and I thought my jet boat was expensive to upgrade!

I have the Grove gear - it is heavy but strong, and maintenance free.  The weakness with it is the light fuselage longerons - mine has a different, home-brew attachment to stronger cross members and larger longerons from cabin forward. 

I think that Akflyer can build a better "Bush gear" if that is the kind of flying you will be doing.  All my landings are on concrete or flat fields.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It would be a rare occurrence that my plane will see pavement.  I'll be flying out of my own grass strip in my back yard.  

The whole appeal for me buying a plane is to get into remote area's to hunt and fish so i'd like a landing gear that can take a beating. 

No matter what gear i go with i'll be strengthening the longerons. 

Does Akflyer have a kit he sells or just makes them to order?  

Would love to see some pictures of what he sells. 

Posted (edited)

It would be a rare occurrence that my plane will see pavement.  I'll be flying out of my own grass strip in my back yard.  

The whole appeal for me buying a plane is to get into remote area's to hunt and fish so i'd like a landing gear that can take a beating. 

No matter what gear i go with i'll be strengthening the longerons. 

Does Akflyer have a kit he sells or just makes them to order?  

Would love to see some pictures of what he sells. 

Send him a PM to get his attention and hopefully he will post some photos and info for you.  I am not sure of how many irons he has in the fire right now.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks EDMO!  I just send him a private message. 

Posted

Is there any build threads on the airframe stretch? Been tryig to use the searh but am not really coming up with anything 

Posted (edited)

Is there any build threads on the airframe stretch? Been tryig to use the searh but am not really coming up with anything 

There might be something on the Airdale 16" stretch.  I think there may have been an 18" stretch too - Fat Avid?  Avid+?  Doug Holly "A+" might have some info since he has one of the best libraries of anyone on here.  As far as I know, this stretch was only done at the factory.  I have a photo or two of an Airdale before it was covered and you might compare that to a photo of yours?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Here is the page form the airdale site.  JImChuk

http://airdale.com/stretch.htm

It may be hard to see, but there is a diagonal tube that spans the top of the bay where the turtledeck goes.  Since John Larson had showed a barrel being loaded thru this section in his Pursang, which was the prototype for the Airdale, I asked David Goode why that they had put this tube across that bay, and he said that "The engineers required it."  ???  If you look close at the photo of the red floatplane, you can barely see the tube thru the turtledeck.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I'd have to really decide if that is worth the effort for my application.  I definitely don't want to turn my plane into a flying brick.  Its pretty certain that i will be doing

an engine upgrade within a few years, weather its a 912 or a RX1 ( probably RX1 )  so it makes sense to do the stretch,  and i guess i will have to either get the weight in the rear end with the stretch, or with weights put into the tail .  Decisions Decisions.   If there we're build plans available it might make my decision really easy. 

I am  pretty famous for spending way to much money on projects i fall in love with, and i can absolutely see that happening with this avid as well. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I am  pretty famous for spending way to much money on projects i fall in love with, and i can absolutely see that happening with this avid as well. 

I know the feeling :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I know the feeling :)

Ditto!  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Where can a guy find a new engine cowling? Been looking but can't find anything.  Mine is pretty rough 

Posted

There is a guy in Two Harbors, Mn that bought the fiberglass molds from Ron Smith in Montana.  Not sure if he is making anything yet or not.  I'll give him a call.  JImChuk

I called and talked to him and he said I could post his #.  His name is Dan Murphy, and # is 2one 8-3 nine 1-57 five five. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I believe the guy who was making new cowls has quit?  If you cant find a used one, then best bet is to repair yours.

I forgot which engine you have - maybe the below is on the wrong post? 

With the 912 can you use a Kitfox cowl.  Kitfox still sells them.

On the 912, I see them with different colored caps - does this indicate a model or HP?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

There is a guy in Two Harbors, Mn that bought the fiberglass molds from Ron Smith in Montana.  Not sure if he is making anything yet or not.  I'll give him a call.  JImChuk

I called and talked to him and he said I could post his #.  His name is Dan Murphy, and # is 2one 8-3 nine 1-57 five five you very much

Thank you very much!

Edited by Dutchwillis
1 person likes this