Hello From Canada Mark C Avid Project

85 posts in this topic

Posted

To each his own, but I would never put a Kitfox cowl on an Avid.  Actually if I ever get around to finishing my Kitfox 4, it will be the other way around.  Avid cowl on a Kitfox.  It is way, way easier to see over the nose on an Avid than a Kitfox.  Flying or three point.  You can get used to the Kitfox cowl of course, but fly an Avid first, and you won't want to.  YMMV.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

To each his own, but I would never put a Kitfox cowl on an Avid.  Actually if I ever get around to finishing my Kitfox 4, it will be the other way around.  Avid cowl on a Kitfox.  It is way, way easier to see over the nose on an Avid than a Kitfox.  Flying or three point.  You can get used to the Kitfox cowl of course, but fly an Avid first, and you won't want to.  YMMV.  JImChuk

Raise your seats Jim!  :BC:  I wonder if raising my wings 6" will keep me from breaking Mach 1. ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My cowl is definitely repairable but its an odd design. I have a 582 blue head with a C gearbox and the gearbox actually sticks out of the cowl. Take a look at the pictures on page 1 and you'll see what I mean.  Doesnt give the plane a very sleek look.  I didn't realize the info posted was for a kitfox cowl, definitely want to stick with the avid. 

Posted (edited)

My cowl is definitely repairable but its an odd design. I have a 582 blue head with a C gearbox and the gearbox actually sticks out of the cowl. Take a look at the pictures on page 1 and you'll see what I mean.  Doesnt give the plane a very sleek look.  I didn't realize the info posted was for a kitfox cowl, definitely want to stick with the avid. 

Maybe we are mis-communicating here, The info and contact that Jim put on his post was for the AVID cowl maker.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Doug, not sure if you meant me in your last post, but if you did... [snip]  JImChuk

Sorry for the confusion Jim, I was actually replying @Jim T (Neloner). He and I had discussed how best to add Murle's Kit to his KF-3 and I got the threads mixed up. Sometimes I try to login and post with my phone and it's a real PITA. Used to be able to select a 'Full Website' option on the opening splash page when logging in on a phone, which I actually find waaaay easier to navigate even on the phone, but now it only defaults to the mobile site version which severely limits options IMHO.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well......i think my wings are beyond repair. The trailing edge on basically every "spar"?  Is rotten from sitting outside. 

What options do i have here? New kf wings fit?

Posted (edited)

You can buy 1/4" (5 or 6mm) Finnish plywood and 1' capstrips and make your own ribs - I have 4 fixtures I used to make mine with and can post a photo for you.  Or, Kitfox 1 thru 3 wings with tails would fit, but you have to use the struts for them and modify the fuselage end of the struts to fit yours.  Kitfox 4 and up (New ribs were $78 each from Kitfox) used a different type of flaperon hanger and didn't have tails, so you might have a problem using them unless you make a hanger that would work with your flaperon hinges.  You can make and modify new ribs to take the Kitfox 4 profile and still have tails on them and that gets you past the 90 mph wall that the undercambered ribs seem to hit.  I modified my undercambered ribs to the KF4 Riblett style while keeping the tails.  I posted the rib patterns in Files and Forms, and there are some photos of my modified ribs in Kitfox 4 section "FOXY FLAPPER PHOTOS".  If you were close, I have a set of Kitfox 3 wings with 12 gallon tanks and droop tips that need slight repair and recovering and struts to go with them.   Complete new KF4 wing KITS were selling for about $5500 from Kitfox about a year or more ago.

If the ribs are still solid, except the trailing edges (tails), then it is fairly easy to replace the tails. There were some posts on doing that.

Hope this helps.  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My cowl is pretty hacked up. I even rocked a piece of cardboard for a while. You really have to open up a B model cowl to run a E box and blue head. 

IMG_7904.JPG

IMG_8088.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I hate to admit it cause I have to many things to do, but right now I am making all new rib tails for an early Avid for another guy.  I might be able to make more of them.  I'm making them the way Airdale did, which means everything behind the rear spar is removed, and a new piece is installed.  New cap strips are attached to these rib tails and extend forward of the rear spar about 10" or so.   (22" of cap strip)  I have some new T88 epoxy on order, so I can't post a picture of a finished rib tail right now.   Post up some pictures of what your ribs look like.  JImChuk

PS  ran out to the garage, and snapped a few pic.  Pieces are just clamped together to show what I'm talking about

Photo0110.jpg

Photo0111.jpg

Photo0112.jpg

Photo0114.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
added pictures

Posted (edited)

I hate to admit it cause I have to many things to do, but right now I am making all new rib tails for an early Avid for another guy.  I might be able to make more of them.  I'm making them the way Airdale did, which means everything behind the rear spar is removed, and a new piece is installed.  New cap strips are attached to these rib tails and extend forward of the rear spar about 10" or so.   (22" of cap strip)  I have some new T88 epoxy on order, so I can't post a picture of a finished rib tail right now.   Post up some pictures of what your ribs look like.  JImChuk

absolutely something i would be interested in. Ive only taken the fabric off the one wing so far and a few are so rotten they actually broke off. All of the leading edges seem pretty good.  Ill get some pictures right away

Edited by Dutchwillis

Posted

Since you may be going into production on the tails, I could use 5 for my KF3 wing.  Just figure out a price.  I am making flaps and ailerons.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Ed, The Kitfox ribs are not exactly the same as the Avid tails.  Mostly near as I can tell, the rib on the Kitfox is about 1/4" thicker height wise at the rear spar.  Avid rib at that point is about 2 3/4", Kitfox rib is 3".  I do have a kitfox rib I could copy though.   I should have mentioned this before I ordered plywood from Aircraft spruce the other day.  I maybe will need to order more, and could have saved with shipping charges ordering it just once.  If my memory is correct, Airdale was getting $25 each for his rib tails.  I know the plywood went up a good bit from the last time I ordered some, but I suppose I will do them for $20 each plus shipping.   On the other hand Ed, if you don't have rot, just broken off tails, you might want to fix them like I did with my Avid MK IV.  JImChuk

PS  The plywood I'm using is 12 ply 1/4" for the center part of the rib, and 5 ply 1/8" for the cap strips

Photo0110.jpg

Photo0111.jpg

Photo0112.jpg

Photo0114.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Trying to upload pictures from my phone and its not cooperating.  If you are able to text shoot me a message at 780-905-8901 otherwise ill have to wait until tomorrow when im around a computer to upload them.  

I think i will be needing to replace them all. 

The plane was hit with hail and then left to sit outside with punctures in the top of the wings. Every rib is weak and has signs of rot ( about 4" up every one ) 

Infront of the rear spar everything looks fine 

It sat with the wings open so as you can imagine it allowed water to collect 

Edited by Dutchwillis

Posted

Best to put the pics on the computer.  My phone has a real small screen, and it's hard to see much in the pictures.  If your wing a Heavy Hauler wing?  That would be with ribs 12" or so on center.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

No problem ill upload them tomorrow.

heavy hauler wings. Center to center is about 11 1/2"

Each wing has 13.  Would be a nightmare doing the 4 that are around the fuel tanks 

Edited by Dutchwillis

Posted

Sorry for the bad pictures, not much light in my garage at night and my camera isnt the best.  Tried to highlight some of the bad area's. If better pictures are needed that is no problem. Will take some in the daylight. 

what a horrible job stripping fabric! and what a mess!

WING 3.jpg

WING 4.jpg

WING 2.jpg

WING 1.jpg

Posted

Good time to replace the trailing edge wire with the metal edge. That adds a significant amount of strength to the rib ends IMO. Also doesn't look like the fabric adhered to the rib caps very well on your wings. Might not be mentioned in the Avid builder manual but rib lacing is not not hard and provides a great deal of comfort for many for just this reason.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

x2 on metal trailing edge.  and epoxy spar varnish on ribs.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Good time to replace the trailing edge wire with the metal edge. That adds a significant amount of strength to the rib ends IMO. Also doesn't look like the fabric adhered to the rib caps very well on your wings. Might not be mentioned in the Avid builder manual but rib lacing is not not hard and provides a great deal of comfort for many for just this reason.

I'll have to look into that.  I dont believe I have ever seen that mod to replace the wire. 

Posted (edited)

I'll have to look into that.  I dont believe I have ever seen that mod to replace the wire. 

The metal trailing edge is standard on the Kitfoxes.  Figure out what is the longest lengths under 8' that you can use, call Spruce and order cut to size.  Be sure and add a couple of inches for overlaps.  You notch it to go over rib tails and glue it on with 9460.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Here is the trailing edge material from ACS.  Looks like it has doubled in price since the last time I got any.  You can actually have them cut it to 3' 4" long to save more on shipping.  You will end up cutting it between the rib tails anyway.   You could even maybe bend it up yourself if you have access to a sheet metal brake.  A siding brake might even do it, especially if you do the bends in short lengths.  In fact, I think the early Kitfox only had 2 bends in their trailing edge, at the back, and then one end was turned about 90 degrees for a stiffener.  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/trailedge.php?clickkey=25473

Here is a picture of the trailing edge glued onto my Avid MK IV wing.  JImChuk

Photo0034.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yes, the early kitfox trailing edge had only one side bent 90 degrees at the front, and the new stuff has a bend on both sides - looks stronger.  I just bought 40 feet for my flaps and ailerons.  I think it sells in 10' lengths, but they will cut to any size.  I didn't splice mine for the flaps - just used a single piece about 76" long and notched it for each of the 10 ribs to go into it.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You Guy's are Gold, Dont know what i would do without this site!   I'll definitely be ordering that!

Does anyone ever extend the STOL wings?  

Posted (edited)

You Guy's are Gold, Dont know what i would do without this site!   I'll definitely be ordering that!

Does anyone ever extend the STOL wings?  

Never heard of that with the STOL wings, but often with the Speedwings.  Avid used to make a kit for that. 

The Magnum and Catalina have longer wings.   Kitfox wings are about 18" longer on each wing than the Avid STOL wings.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Is Airdale out of business? You think he would shut down the site if that was the case