Hello From Canada Mark C Avid Project

85 posts in this topic

Posted

From my understanding:  For all intents and purposes, yes it's closed.

1 person likes this

Posted

Got the other wing stripped today.  It's not as bad as the other but still needs to be totally rebuilt.  Ill post some pictures soon 

Posted

Here are a couple of finished rib tails.  Got the plywood from ACS yesterday JImChuk

DSCN0219.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

Well I'm going to take my last rib tail order to the post office this morning, and then I'm figuring to clean my garage to get back to work on my Avid rebuild.  If anyone wants rib tails, I would be happy to send them one each of all the parts and give them directions on how to make their own.  I could perhaps even cut all the pieces and send them unassembled and they could glue them up themselves.  It's actually quite time consuming gluing them all up, and my Avid needs my attention.  I kind of did commit to making the set for your plane Dutchwillis, but you can definitely save some $ if you choose one of the other options I'm offering.  JImChuk

Posted

Sending me out one of each not assembled and some directions would be a huge help! My father is a finish carpenter so i can definitely get him on bored to help me build them.  

Posted

Maybe all you really need is the patterns.  You could get the plywood yourself from ACS.  For tools, you would need a router table ( or just the router and a piece of plywood to fasten the router to) the right router bit, and any old table saw.  Or a skill saw fastened to a piece of plywood and a strip of wood for the fence.  Maybe I'll snap a few pics later and post them, that will explain this better.   JImChuk

Posted

Here is what I used to make the rib tails.  Saber saw to cut the 1/4" material.  (not shown)  Router table and the type of bit to use.  Has a ball bearing that rides along the pattern, making an exact duplicate.  Jury rigged table saw for the 1/8" cap strips.  Don't laugh, it worked fine.  I have 3 different table saws. The light duty one has the motor burned out, the real big one is taken apart, and the other fairly heavy one is in the back hangar where I would have probably got stuck with the tractor if I tried to get it.  The frost had just gone out, and it was really soft.  If you don't have a router table, just take a piece of plywood, drill a hole in it big enough for the bit to poke through, and then screw the router base to the plywood.  Turn it over, screw it down to the workbench or sawhorses, and instant router table.  I use the little scale for weighing the epoxy, put the plastic cup on it, zero it out, add about half of what you want for epoxy, then add the right amount of the second bottle.  For instance, T 88 mix by weight is 1 -. 83.  I would add 10 grs to the cup, then add from the second bottle till the scale reads 18.33 and then mix.  Or half of each.   It's real easy to get accurate mixes like this, and it's not messy.  When I use scotch weld epoxy or something from a can, I use popsicle sticks to move the material.  It will slowly run off the stick, and it's easy to stop adding at the right time.  Sorry if it seems like I'm writting a book, I'm battling a good cold, and not in a big rush to get back outside.  JImChuk

Photo0141.jpg

Photo0142.jpg

Photo0143.jpg

Photo0144.jpg

Photo0145.jpg

Photo0148.jpg

Photo0149.jpg

Photo0150.jpg

Photo0152.jpg

Posted (edited)

While on the subject of rib fixing and building, I am posting a photo of the fixtures I made (4 of them) for clamping and gluing the ribcaps square to the ribs.  there are some small blocks that were put between the screws and the ribs.  Those screws are expensive.  Cost me over $100 each to make back in late 90's.  I would take that for each of them plus shipping.  I built ribs for 4 wings with these.  Using 4 of them cuts your wait time for the glue to set up.   If you are just wanting to do one wing or a part of a wing then one fixture should be enough.  These can be used for any type of rib.  Kitfox was charging $78 a rib last year.   EDMO

IMG_1678.JPG

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Ed,

What rib profile is that?  The KF IV?

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Ed,

What rib profile is that?  The KF IV?

:BC:

Leni, These were made for the Raven?/Kitfox undercamber ribs, but with a little modification or just changing some spacer blocks it could be used for KF4 or most any similar rib.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this