Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying the Tail

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I know what this means, but what is the advantage other than picking up your "third member" out of the dirt?

Mark IV built light, rope start, etc. I can fly the tail NO problem... And the brakes even hold! :o

Is this a power issue, a weight and balance issue, or a elevator authority issue?

I think my tail weight will be close (dropping the Maule TW and single leaf to a twin leaf light weight MATCO), so I should be good.

I will weigh all the parts I change out.

Posted

Is this a power issue, a weight and balance issue, or a elevator authority issue?

IMO, it's a combination of all three.  The Mangy has almost 70# on the tailwheel.  

With it's power and enlarged tail, I have no problem doing the "Steve Henry" taxi, up on the mains tail up with power, elevator and brake coordination.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I always wondered that to. My Bandit takes off just as fast with the tail held on the runway as compared to raising the tail on take off roll.

Edited by Bandit
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

As I understand the book theory, and this could all make little sense:  "Raising the tail early produces a more neutral incidence to the wings and tail (and stops friction of tailwheel?), which lowers the amount of drag, and lets the plane accelerate faster, reaching the speed needed to produce the required lift for takeoff quicker."  Now, can anyone verify how many milliseconds that amounts to? 

Now, I imagine that someone will ask about adding flaps, so then you have to figure which coefficient of either lift or drag increases faster.  Have fun!

Nose draggers start out with the tail up and "neutral incidence to wings and tail", so I guess they take off quicker?   ??? EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I always lift the tail then pop flaps and  yard on the stick. 

Posted (edited)

Edited by C5Engineer
3 people like this

Posted

I am a fan of getting the tail out of the dirt as quick as possible,not sure if it makes a real big difference to the takeoff distance but visibility is better.i have found applying flaps before rolling gets the tail up quickest.