Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Airdale's Bush Gear

62 posts in this topic

Posted

For starters I would like to say... I would have chosen some other manufacture... What a PAIN! 

I thought I would post an update with the modifications. Also a few were asking how the struts worked.

Here is one assembled and one apart. The spring is installed with the "hat" and bolt through the hole in the hat and though the slot. So it "pulls" instead of "pushes".

DSC00730_zpskqsferw1.jpg

The difference in the springs (long travel mod) thanks to Leni!!! :BC:

DSC00733_zpsrjbnsacf.jpg

So now I have to cut the slots 2" and build the fixtures to hold the larger diameter springs.

DSC00735_zpsmzdpohuw.jpg

I have a source for the metal and a machinist with a Bridgeport to cut the slots...

Posted (edited)

What is ID and cost of those black springs?  Are they same ID top and bottom?   I may need one for a nosegear.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

What is ID and cost of those black springs?  Are they same ID top and bottom?   I may need one for a nosegear.  EDMO

The ID is 1.8" top and bottom. 7.5" long with no preload. And it looks like I will have to compress the springs 2" to get them in. $50 bucks apiece less shipping. They make a lighter spring (I might try if these are too stiff) also. That might be better for the nose. The part number is 503190854 for what I have.

Posted (edited)

The ID is 1.8" top and bottom. 7.5" long with no preload. And it looks like I will have to compress the springs 2" to get them in. $50 bucks apiece less shipping. They make a lighter spring (I might try if these are too stiff) also. That might be better for the nose. The part number is 503190854 for what I have.

Are these the 325 pound springs?  What is the lighter ones?  Who sells them?   If you compress them 2", then aren't you losing gear travel?   I would think with that rating, about a 1" static compression should be right for your plane weight?  Can you modify one or both of the spring caps to give you less static compression?  My estimated Static weight on nose should be 120 to 150 pounds, depending on GW.

Thanks, EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Assuming you bought this gear some time ago?

Posted

I don't know. It is for a Skidoo.. rear spring I think. Leni might know the other part number.

If you look at the red spring compared to the black, look how far the coils are spaced. The red will coil bind in 1.8". I should be good. It has to be a big improvement.

Yea, I bought these sometime back. It several months for Bret to get it to me. So long I was frustrated and told him to give me my money back.. LOL! Then one had the brake mounting plate clocked wrong so I had to send it back. I will say his turn around on that was a lot better.

No doubt I would have been a lot further ahead if I had bought something that was pretty much ready to bolt up. I would be done by now! :rolleyes:

Posted

looks good.  I think you will find this spring much better than the previous spring in them.  Compression rate is much more suited to our planes and the extra travel should keep you from bending up the bird.  I have beat the crap out of mine and no more bent axles or sharp thumps of metal to metal when rolling over rocks and snow banks.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

I also redrilled the hole in the top "hat" so I would have less preload on it.  I drilled it as close to the flat plate as I could and still get a wrench on the bolt.  remember the spring rate on them is 325 per inch of load so in order to run out of spring and do metal to metal your going to have to hit hard enough to more than likely set off the ELT :lmao: 

2 people like this

Posted

Oh fine, I finally ordered a pair of springs,

Posted

I also redrilled the hole in the top "hat" so I would have less preload on it.  I drilled it as close to the flat plate as I could and still get a wrench on the bolt.  remember the spring rate on them is 325 per inch of load so in order to run out of spring and do metal to metal your going to have to hit hard enough to more than likely set off the ELT :lmao: 

So did you preload this spring 2 inches or did you build a whole new mount to hold the spring, I'm in the designing stage right now, Thinking about building a whole new setup that holds the spring, I guess my question is, if you preloaded the spring 2 inches do you regret it or does it work great the way it is?

Posted

I put the preload on them and they work good.  no issues so far.

Posted

I was thinking about making a mount that I could put the top adjuster off the sled shocks on it so I could adjust the preload.  not sure if that's complete overkill or not though.

Posted

Ha that is exactly what I was thinking, but didn't want to waste my time if yours work fine with a bit of preload, thanks

Posted

I can do that, but I was thinking about moving the slot upwards a half inch or so to help also. I will still have to compress the spring to get it in.

1/2" on one end of the slot and 1 1/2" slot added on the lower end? Then I can spin and drill another hole on the hat and gain another 3/8" maybe.

:huh:

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I don't think these springs are going to work. One thing is the springs are too long. After I make the bushings to keep them in place, they will have over an inch of preload. At 325 per inch per spring that is just too much IMO.....

So I found a guy that has a collection of springs. He is bringing me some that will install this afternoon. Bringing two pair, heavy and medium, springs to try.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well I don't think these springs are going to work. One thing is the springs are too long. After I make the bushings to keep them in place, they will have over an inch of preload. At 325 per inch per spring that is just too much IMO.....

So I found a guy that has a collection of springs. He is bringing me some that will install this afternoon. Bringing two pair, heavy and medium, springs to try.

Paul,  I just sent a price request for two types of Polyurethane Donuts like the kind used for the Skyote88 landing gear shown in this months Kitplanes mag.  Stay tuned.   Let us know what strength of springs you find will work.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I will Ed. Believe me, if I would have known how much a PITA this would be, I would have bitten the bullet and bought something else!

Posted

I will Ed. Believe me, if I would have known how much a PITA this would be, I would have bitten the bullet and bought something else!

You have to give them credit for trying - Just too bad that they didn't make a better spring selection before selling them.   EDMO

Posted

Who makes other gear that will fit my M4? Anyone?

Posted

Have you checked with High Country on this site?  He made Dynomike's gear.

Jackak

Posted

I don't have any issues with the preload on the springs as it.  And yes, they are compressed over and inch.  How much preload to you think the stock bungees had on them?? 

325# or 400# preload.  Weight of plane full fuel and passengers.  Add it up and you will see that the preload using these springs is just fine :) 

Nothing looks dumber that splayed out gear taxiing to the runway, not to mention that saggy gear already takes up part of your travel when you do hit a bump.

I used a 10" vice to collapse the spring and get the bolt in on it.  No complaints on wheels or skis hitting rocks, ruts and snowmachine tracks that would have folded the gear with the stock die spring in it.

2 people like this

Posted

No idea what the bungees preload.

Hell I don't know. I got this guy helping me, an IA (AKA know it all), if that tells you anything. The other "spring guy" said that BRP spring would bottom out in less than 4 inches. although I don't know how. Did you check the coil bind, Lenny? Neither one thought elongating the slots was a good idea. I tried to explain that it was a pull thing instead of a pull..... I was going to get one of them to machine it, but neither one acted like they wanted to do it.

Needless to say, I hate projects like this.

Posted

And what in the hell is a die spring and what do they use them for?

Posted

And what in the hell is a die spring and what do they use them for?

the die spring is the hard one that comes with the suspension system, 

Posted (edited)

I WOULD take the word of someone who has done the modification and spring changes, like Akflyer who actually flies with his Avid, over any number of statements like, "Manufacturer says Remove and Replace part with certified, approved part #1234", which is what A&P and IA are taught - You are not going to get much "Experimental Advice" from them.

and Eye R 1 Too, plus AMT "Aircraft Maintenance Technician", but I am also an Experimental Builder.  

Oh yeh, I served a 4-year Toolmaker apprenticeship on Tool&Die Springs too!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO