Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Airdale's Bush Gear

62 posts in this topic

Posted

You are right Ed!!! Thank you. Going to the city tomorrow to hopefully find some tubing I can spot weld on the washers to hold the springs in place.

Thanks for the support!!! :)

DSC01130_zpscpf738a4.jpg

Posted

Spot-weld tubing to washers?  Guess you know why?  The setup with washer under original cap spot welded as you show in the photo looks like it would work?   EDMO

Posted

Making the slots longer is easy to do with a cut off wheel in the dremel and a couple files.  Round and flat.  Took me about 10 minutes to do.  I can't tell you that you can't bottom the springs out, I can say that I have not yet done it.  Hopefully when I get home the weather will cooperate and I will mount the gopro under the plane and see if I can get some video or giving the springs a work out.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Spot-weld tubing to washers?  Guess you know why?  The setup with washer under original cap spot welded as you show in the photo looks like it would work?   EDMO

What he wants to do is take a piece of tubing that fits inside the spring and cut it about 1 inch long, then weld them to the washers, that way the spring slides over the tubing and holds it in place  and does not flop around, I know this because I have a piece of tubing sitting on the bench right now to do the exact same thing. Great minds think alike Mr.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

What he wants to do is take a piece of tubing that fits inside the spring and cut it about 1 inch long, then weld them to the washers, that way the spring slides over the tubing and holds it in place  and does not flop around, I know this because I have a piece of tubing sitting on the bench right now to do the exact same thing. Great minds think alike Mr.

Ha!  Guess I don't have one of the "Great minds", because I didn't see that! - Maybe just poor sight?  ;<)  Guess there is also some way to combine that with "hats" and reduce the preload pressure too?   I got a tentative price on what the Poly-Donuts cost for the Skyote88 landing gear:  about $14 each.  Don't know if that is priced for "stock" rubbers, or custom-made.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
3 people like this

Posted

Ha!  Guess I don't have one of the "Great minds", because I didn't see that! - Maybe just poor sight?  ;<)  Guess there is also some way to combine that with "hats" and reduce the preload pressure too?   I got a tentative price on what the Poly-Donuts cost for the Skyote88 landing gear:  about $14 each.  Don't know if that is priced for "stock" rubbers, or custom-made.   EDMO

Ed,

Do you have any dimensions on the donuts or how many per side he is using?  I am really interested in these!

Posted (edited)

Ed,

Do you have any dimensions on the donuts or how many per side he is using?  I am really interested in these!

Leni,  From the photo in Kitplanes, he has two of the lighter, 60A shore Yellow donuts on the top of each strut, and three of the blue or green 80A shore donuts on the bottom.  He gave me a dimension of 2.5" (OD?) x 1.75", and I don't know if that is ID or length of each.  If you go to "Polyurethane Products" site, and click on "Open End Punch Strippers" they only show ID of 1", length of 1" and OD max about 2.6" if I read it right for standard donuts.  Maybe his was custom made - and the site talks about doing that too.  He said he experimented with 60 to 90 shore donuts to get his landing gear tuned.  I think there is a load chart on there too.  I have not taken the time to study it farther.  Hope this helps.  I wrote to the company for info and prices about 10 days ago and never got an answer - John gave me price he paid of $14 each.  Let me know if you find out more on these.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Progress. I found a local machine shop (50 miles away) and with in 15 minutes he had me fixed up, once I conveyed what I wanted. He has a CNC plasma torch table. He cut out of 1/4" plate the spring locators. I also have him cutting the slots and drilling the holes.

To further explain why I wanted it light, I told him it was for an airplane. Most people balk! He didn't flinch... Next week I will be putting it together. Lord knows I am ready!!!

2 people like this

Posted

I have the parts welded and painted... I have  to compress the springs... Any ideas? I was thinking a vise with large zip ties.. I only have  to compress them an inch and a half or so...

DSC01307.JPG

Posted (edited)

DSC01311.JPG

DSC01314.JPG

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

And the elongated slot. Everything has been deburred and polished, painted, etc. I'll have to repost the photos of when I started this since photobucket crapped out.

Thanks for the input, guys!!!

DSC01315.JPG

Posted (edited)

You probably wont find a zip-tie that will hold the pressure - spring compressor is threaded rod or rods with hooks or bars on each end - need one for each side of spring.  You can probably make them.  Be careful.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I used a 10" vice.  I have also done it with a pipe clamp but you should really use 2 of them and its sketchy at best :lol:  I need to come up with a way to change these out without risking your life with flying springs.

Thinking maybe 2 slotted plates with all thread on each side to slip over the collars and then use the all thread to compress the spring.  Should be a pretty easy tool to make.

:BC:

Posted

My welding skills... It was a bitch to get in place. I had to redo one... Some weld... and are welders.. Some grind... and are GRINDERS!!! :lmao:

I didn't have to grind much. And the zip ties I was planning on using are 3/8" wide industrial type. I am sure they can handle a couple hundred pounds apiece.

DSC01492.JPG

DSC01491.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

My only problem is the zip ties may slip. Through my travels I have compressed springs on my old Z28 many times trying to find the right set.

A google search yields: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=motorcycle+spring+compressor&oq=motorcycle+spring+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l4.1741.14699.0.19257.25.22.0.0.0.0.1270.3526.7-3.3.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..22.3.3522.0...0.flj3gCg0cbw

Posted (edited)

My only problem is the zip ties may slip. Through my travels I have compressed springs on my old Z28 many times trying to find the right set.

A google search yields: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=motorcycle+spring+compressor&oq=motorcycle+spring+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l4.1741.14699.0.19257.25.22.0.0.0.0.1270.3526.7-3.3.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..22.3.3522.0...0.flj3gCg0cbw

Spring compressors with hooks can slip too - You want the kind bolted on each side and bolted thru two slotted plates, like Leni said - Very easy to make using threaded stock - holes for the bolts and a U-shaped slot in each plate, to clear the center tubes.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ok Ill show you guys how to do it. I have used this method for years and years. And don't cost anything. The straps stay out of the way for complete assembly of the parts. These little springs, I could squash them down all the way if I wanted to.

100_1282.JPG

100_1284.JPG

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

KISS method!  ;<)  Jolly Good Show TJay!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ok Ill show you guys how to do it. I have used this method for years and years. And don't cost anything. The straps stay out of the way for complete assembly of the parts. These little springs, I could squash them down all the way if I wanted to.

100_1282.JPG

100_1284.JPG

I like it, and I also like seeing the box of nails behind the springs.  Now a days with nail guns and all lots of people don't know that nails came in a 50 lb box.  Wish I had a buck for every 16 sinker I pounded in.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Thank you sir!!!! :BC: That beats the vice and industrial zip ties ( I think they would work... they are 3/8" wide, but...)

I see those don't have a hook and strap on the winch end... I have to hunt a couple of those up.

Posted

What are those for? I have several but they all have and tail with a hook on the winch ....

Posted

Paul,  can you fold your straps over and shove that folded end into place?  Then crank it up as if that was the end of the strap.  Make sense?  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

What are those for? I have several but they all have and tail with a hook on the winch ....

I have several of both types - buy most of mine at Harbor Freight - Donno what you might find, but my yellow ones have hooks on both ends and red ones don't - there Is another short piece with a hook on some of mine - Like he said, you can double-back on a strap and use it without hooking.  EDMO

Posted

Paul,  can you fold your straps over and shove that folded end into place?  Then crank it up as if that was the end of the strap.  Make sense?  JImChuk

Yea, I'll try that! Thanks...