Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Airdale's Bush Gear

62 posts in this topic

Posted

I still like Joey's set up the best would like to hear more peoples experience with the tk-1 set up, I see Kitfox is now selling them too. When I watch Trent's videos it sure looks like the air frame enjoys that set up as well. Its just a lot of damn money for 4 Nitrogen shocks and a very small amount of welding.

Posted

Worked like a charm!!! I had to pry the strap out of the coil that was close and the double stitch near the hook, but other than that... Awesome.. After I get it rolling, I have to install new brake lines. I also have a new double leaf and a billet pneumatic tail wheel assembly!!! :bugeyes:

So far weighing me thinks I don't think there is any need to rebalance. It is pretty much tit for tat.

Once again, thanks guys!!! :BC:

DSC01547.JPG

DSC01549.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

DSC01311.JPG

DSC01314.JPG

how did the springs workout ???

Posted

I would like to know that question as well.

Mine ain't worth a hoot.

I do think most of my issue is my plane is slightly toed out so when it rolls forward it pull the gear out. Not cool, pulls the springs totally flat ha. Try again right.

I thought I would put the original spring that came with the gear in my press on a scale.  It hit 400lbs in 3/8ths of an inch quite a difference there.

Posted (edited)

TJay,  Did you use the 390#/inch springs that Leni used?  If so, it sounds like maybe time to try some rubber or Polyurethane donuts to compare - after you fix the toe-out.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Not sure what it is per inch but its number is 503190854  Ill take them off and check them sometime

Posted (edited)

Not sure what it is per inch but its number is 503190854  Ill take them off and check them sometime

Leni posted a chart of the springs on here giving the specs for all of them - it should be on the chart.  I think I bought that one too for my nosegear.  But, I just checked it and didnt see that spring # listed.  I think it may be 325#/inch?   At least, that is what I put on a card sometime ago.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

when I set it up I made a new system that holds the spring, When I built it I set the springs up with no preload thinking I would get more travel but I guess springs don't work that way.

I stuck the springs in my press today pushing a a scale they are only reading 260lbs per inch. Wonder if they made a change in the springs over the years? Who knows but I will figure something out.

Its no wonder the highwing gear bends up these birds. Today I did the spring test with the yellow die springs my press and a bit more accuracy  the scale  was reading 402 per 1/4 inch holy crap thats 1600lbs per inch Seems a bit much but I guess when you only have 2 inches of travel you might need it high.

Posted (edited)

TJay,  Just my way of thinking, but I believe that each spring should support 1/2 of the loaded weight of the plane somewhere near the top or first inch of travel of the spring.  Maybe that is how they calculated the springs, even tho they didn't have enough travel?  I don't know what kind of leverage forces are involved there.  1600#/inch sounds like serious overkill to me.

I would think that you might be able to find some stronger springs with more travel before bottoming out?  I would think that some spring company (maybe McMaster-Carr?) would let you list your specs, and guide you to the spring that meets your needs?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I ran all these numbers when I analyzed the Highwing LLC gear (made by Lowell Fitt for me in December) that I installed. The yellow spring that he provided me  is a Danly IEM yellow spring that has 1450 Lb per inch, and compresses fully at 1.78" or 2600 lbs of force. (http://www.danly.com/cgi-bin/itemdisp.pl?item=18528). I don't know what the original red spring shown in the pics is, but the color says it is softer than the yellow, if it is a Danly.

Assuming the two gear (Airdale and Highwing LLC) have the same general geometry, the big black spring that Fly-n-Low is using appears to have about 6" of working length till it compresses fully, and if the spring rate is 325 Lb per inch, it will flatten at 1950 lbs. That spring is weaker than the flat yellow one, and will flatten sooner and turn into a hard bar sooner.

The original yellow spring flattens at 2600 lbs which equates to a 4 g landing, the black spring (if it is 325 lb/inch) will flatten at less than 3 g's . FYI, a 3 g landing is 8 ft/sec drop, a 4G landing is about 12 ft/sec. If the black spring is 375 lb/in, then it flattens at 2250 lbs, which is 3.5 g, still weaker than the yellow spring Highwing gave me.

Edited by nlappos

Posted

Have the spring bush gear and have had no issues in the rough backcountry strips.

I have put aluminum fairings over the springs and faired out the flat plate where the spring struts meet.

Avid MK4 STOL wing.

John M

Posted

Here is a shot of my wing cuffs.

20180910_084302.thumb.jpg.e7ca5d113120ba