Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

identification Tag

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Have a question about the stainless Identification tag, I have heard that to get your AW ticket you need to have the stainless tag all filled out and on the Aircraft,  but I thought that Gross weight was established during phase 1 flying? so how does this work?

Posted (edited)

TJay,  Yes, It is supposed to be on the plane prior to inspection.

Evidently there are two different tags - The old style was a lot larger than the new one.  The new one is only about 1" high and 3 or 4" long.  There is no GW on experimental, and the only things required on the tag that I can think of is Name of plane, (model #?), Serial Number, Name of Builder.   It should be in FAR45 regs, I think.  If you don't have the new tag, I would get one and not use the old style.  BTW:  Stainless is mandatory - the aluminum ones being sold are not legal.   You should have W/B sheets filled out too.

Order from EAA?   The new tag don't look like the 1X4 tag I got from EAA long ago, but same data required as shown.  EDMO

1. your amateur-built aircraft, but you are not required by ...
  2. Amateur-Built Data Plate - EAAUrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/homebuilders_corner/...
  3. Amateur-Built Data Plate #2257002900000. $7.99 + Add to Cart. Share: Description; Specs; 3 5/8 “ x 1 ¼ “ Flame resistant metal. EAA logo with a space to put ...
Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

you do not have to list the "gross weight" on the tag.. there is no such thing as a "gross weight" on an experimental..

Posted (edited)

you do not have to list the "gross weight" on the tag.. there is no such thing as a "gross weight" on an experimental..

The new tag does not ask for Gross Weight, empty weight or anything except Name of plane, Serial number, Name of Builder.  As long as an Experimental aircraft has been "continuously operated" below the 1320 weight, it is LSA legal, and that would even include the Airdale at Kit makers "advertised maximum GW" of 1400 lbs, or a Kitfox 5,6,7, with a kit makers "advertised maximum GW" of 1550 lbs, as long as you never log it as being flown over 1320 lbs weight in Phase 1.  If you are flying under the Sport Pilot limitations, I would not show more than 1320 on the Weight and Balance sheets either.  At least you would have grounds to argue if they ever question your LSA "Lead Sled" at a ramp check!  I am not an attorney, but that is my take and 2 cents worth of thoughts.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this