Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PRIVATE FORUM - Think Again!

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

We think we are secure on the internet, but we are certainly being watched by our own computers!  This week I wrote on the forum about a trip from MN to Michigan going by way of Mackinaw Bridge, and today I am getting an article on Yahoo about "Hotel rooms in Mackinac"!   Also, this week I searched for some info on a little "Po-dunk" mining town of Royalton, Illinois, and now I am getting posts on Yahoo about "Death records in Royalton"!  Now I am just waiting to hear about "Discount Air Fares to Russia"!   Our computers are snitches, believe it or not!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Get ready, your Hero has decided that our ISP can sell our browsing histories to advertisers (and spy networks?) to make more money. 

Posted (edited)

Online privacy will never happen IMO, always a technology to circumvent. And since when does more gov't regulation insure success anyways? Adding the new FCC guidelines would still require voluntary ISP compliance and the FCC would do likely as piss-poor and ineffective a job enforcing just like the FTC does. Bite the bullet and pay for a good VPN.

Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2017?

Edited by dholly
Add link
2 people like this

Posted

Get ready, your Hero has decided that our ISP can sell our browsing histories to advertisers (and spy networks?) to make more money. 

So you think this is something new? LMAO!!! This has been going on forever. Your browser and search engine you use spy on and track you.

So since this was going on well before Trump was elected, it is Obama's fault, right? Oh no... Wait, it is Bush's fault!!! Yea, that's it. That's the ticket! :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

You think that's bad, When I look something up on Ebay it some how cookies my computer and sends it through the router and back into my wife's computer, now that's crazy, I learned that a while back when I was looking at a few ebay items and my wife sitting on the other couch says, Huh it says I need a new drill, been happening alot lately,   And we are both running high end Mac computers,

1 person likes this

Posted

You think that's bad, When I look something up on Ebay it some how cookies my computer and sends it through the router and back into my wife's computer, now that's crazy, I learned that a while back when I was looking at a few ebay items and my wife sitting on the other couch says, Huh it says I need a new drill, been happening alot lately,   And we are both running high end Mac computers,

'high end Mac computers' - that's an oxymoron.... :-)

If you want to solve your angst over advertisers tracking you, go buy your wife/girlfriend something cheap at Victorias Secret.  You won't be nearly as upset at the ads you get anymore! :P

2 people like this

Posted

'high end Mac computers' - that's an oxymoron.... :-)

If you want to solve your angst over advertisers tracking you, go buy your wife/girlfriend something cheap at Victorias Secret.  You won't be nearly as upset at the ads you get anymore! :P

:lmao::lmao::lmao:Hilarious. Well, the Apples are cute! :P

Yea, I can google something and it will show up on the ads on my FB page. Yahoo is the same. I do have Adblock Plus and that does help. For me anyway.

1 person likes this

Posted

If you use Google, everything about you is online.  Same with Scam-Bay, Amazon or any other major online player.  What's laughable are people who put their entire lives on FaceBook and then still attempt to keep their info private.  To think you can avoid this with a certain type of computer or antivirus is delusional.  Just like every phone, cell, email and text transaction you have ever made is recorded metadata, kept by our (and many other) governments.

This is the way of things.  Now and forever.

1 person likes this

Posted

To be clear, that is different than an ISP selling a subscribers browsing history to advertisers or whomever without the subscribers prior consent as Nick mentioned. Fears that ISPs will use consumer data to insert additional ads on top of the ones that content providers sell, or insert spyware to improve their ability to track customers on different platforms (for example on smartphones as well as home computers) prompted the legislation which was scheduled to go into effect at the end of 2017. Basically, the proposed bill would have prevented ISPs from selling bulk aggregate data, which is what they already do now. So to be clear, the ability to sell your browsing history doesn't suddenly become legal on the date the bill is not passed. As always, it is important to note WHY the Senate then House both voted to scrap the proposed FCC plan before sending it for Trumps signature. It was considered flawed legislation by some (including the FTC Chairman) because it did not update FTC privacy rules that govern other service providers such as Google and Facebook who collect as much or more personal data than ISPs do. Maybe that's a good thing if it forces them to put a tougher bill together.

Posted

So you think this is something new? LMAO!!! This has been going on forever. Your browser and search engine you use spy on and track you.

So since this was going on well before Trump was elected, it is Obama's fault, right? Oh no... Wait, it is Bush's fault!!! Yea, that's it. That's the ticket! :lmao:

No, no......  Gore did it!

3 people like this

Posted

I think its elnineo's fault.

Posted

Well...Gore did INVENT the internet

Posted

Climate change... er Global warming... er Climate disruption... What is the new jargon? :lmao:

Posted

Climate change... er Global warming... er Climate disruption... What is the new jargon? :lmao:

Ask the folks treading water right now, bet they can help you.

1 person likes this

Posted

That comment is exactly why anthrogenic climate change has zero credibility.  Every 'bad' weather event is immediately pointed to as evidence of climate change.  Any weather event that contradicts climate change is dismissed with 'weather is not the same as climate'.  You can't have it both ways, not and have anyone with a brain believe you.

Fact is hurricane activity occurs in cycles, and we are on the upswing of that cycle, so increased hurricane activity is evidence of a lack of climate change.  Every year in the geological microsecond we've been keeping records some new 'record' or another has been set.  We haven't even begun to gather sufficient data to accurately model climate, nor are we gathering any data on many acknowledged drivers of climate.

So far every prediction of massive global warming has been wrong.  When I was in school we learned the story of chicken little.  Apparently that isn't taught anymore.

I do not deny the climate changes, it always has, and it always will.  I just don't believe (at least from tainted data presented so far) that we puny humans have had any significant impact on that change.  If data that hasn't been altered to fit the theory is ever presented, perhaps I'll change my mind.  When I was taught the scientific method, you made a theory, tested that theory, observed the results, and then modified the theory on the basis of the observation data.  You didn't change the observation data to fit the theory.  In my world, doing that is called religion, not science.

4 people like this

Posted

When I was taught the scientific method, you made a theory, tested that theory, observed the results, and then modified the theory on the basis of the observation data.  You didn't change the observation data to fit the theory.  In my world, doing that is called religion, not science.

Still the same method. But not to republicans

1 person likes this

Posted

Funny, I'm nominally a republican, but I'm not the one hyping climate religion.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ask the folks treading water right now, bet they can help you.

Where is the proof? Do I smell a liberal?

BTW I live in Louisiana and have lost over half my crops due to the hurricanes... Plural for you, moron!!! You don't know shit!!! I have people down there and am sending them support. Fuck your better than thou attitude!!!

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

Ah, a true liberal. So PROVE to me "man made global warming". You cannot. HA!!! Moron!!!

Posted

Ah, a true liberal. So PROVE to me "man made global warming". You cannot. HA!!! Moron!!!

Yep, name calling is the right way to prove your point! Any time you want to match credentials, let me know.

Posted (edited)

Yep, name calling is the right way to prove your point! Any time you want to match credentials, let me know.

Is there room in-between the Climate Change "Believers" and "Non-Believers" for an "Agnostic"?  What does "Computer Spying" have to do with Climate Change anyway - Because Al Gore is responsible for both?   I doubt that he is that important - He just cashed in on both!  Oh Bummer ripped-off the taxpayers with his "Green Energy Solar Panel Company" and Gore and Pelosi each pocketed millions by selling their stocks before it folded.  (Insider Trading)?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Congress members can not commit insider trading.  A perk of their elite class.

Posted

;) Follow the money!

al gore.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

You disrespected the "Repcons"... :rolleyes: Have you looked up the term "moron"?

Credentials? Prove to me "Man made global warming."

You are so smart, how much do you pull down a year?