Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Folding wings an Avid idea?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Is the folding wings idea a Avid first? Not realy! I found this picture of a Sopwith 807 tabloid Naval biplane 1914 circa. Seems almost the same design as our Avid/Fox planes! Did Dean get the idea from designs of the past? Many things that worked before seems to come back again. Now flat head engines are coming back, the "D" motor engine, the radial engine, bicycle parts on the Harrier to control the engine rotation. What else??? Humm! Oh ya Ed! They had a Nose dragger to! Probably the first, It was a Sopwith Schneider with out floats.

sopwith_tabloid_807_500.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Is the folding wings idea a Avid first? Not realy! I found this picture of a Sopwith 807 tabloid Naval biplane 1914 circa. Seems almost the same design as our Avid/Fox planes! Did Dean get the idea from designs of the past? Many things that worked before seems to come back again. Now flat head engines are coming back, the "D" motor engine, the radial engine, bicycle parts on the Harrier to control the engine rotation. What else??? Humm! Oh ya Ed! They had a Nose dragger to! Probably the first, It was a Sopwith Schneider with out floats.

sopwith_tabloid_807_500.jpg

The 1903? Wright Flyer was a nose dragger - they just didn't put a wheel on the nose skid.  :BC:  I think most everything has been tried on airplanes at one time or another.   I like folding wings and nose wheels!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Nice 2-1/2-cell sesquiplane design.  Spars can be quite minimal as they don't really have to support much bending.  Optimal airfoil thickness for fabric-covered wings (no laminar flow) is around 13%, though, which of course favors monoplanes where you can take advantage of deeper spars.