Avid wide/ tall gear install from mark IV on c model

22 posts in this topic

Posted

I found some taller gear for my avid c model on barnstormers the owner had it on a mark IV and said it was made at the avid factory before they closed.  I was hoping it would be a direct bolt on but the owner said it would need some welding of a gusset in the center. Is anyone familiar with this gear and the gusset he was referring to. 

Enclosed are pictures of the gear  

Thanks 

jamie

IMG_7366.JPG

IMG_7369.JPG

IMG_7365.JPG

Posted

I believe usually the cabane is bolted in place with the front landing gear bolts.  I do think that if the center of the cabane was fastened to the seat truss, it would make for a stronger set up.  Haven't seen any other Kitfoxes or Avids done that way though.  JImChuk

Posted

I think that is sort of what's done here

the previous owner said to use light bungees on it.  He didn't know what size though.   What does everyone else run 4 or 6 mm?

thanks

jamie

Posted

Looks to me like he just cut the tops of the cabane vee off instead of unbolting it from the plane.  You will have to fab a new mount for the tops.  If I were you, I would make a bar that went all the way across on the top of the vee and then put your tabs onto that to bolt into the front fixture.  This gives you additional strength when / if they ever bottom out. 

Posted

Leni

Is this what you are referring to

thanks

jamie

IMG_7374.JPG

Posted

umm.. yes sir, exactly :lol:

Dont forget to install a safety cable on that as well in the event that you ever break a bunjee!

:BC:

Posted

That was on my list of things to do after I finish the gear do you know anyone who has those tabs in stock or an extension that would fit inside the tube or do you figure all of that has to be fabBed 

thanks again

Posted

I would say it all has to be fabbed.. If I were you, while your fabbing that I would make a whole new cabane vee and drop that center point down about 3 or 4"

Posted (edited)

Ok what would be the advantage a gain in height?

IMG_7412.JPG

Edited by THE MACHINIST

Posted

More important than the increases AOA is the wider gear makes it a lot more stable on the ground.

Posted

I think that the further down the center of the cabane is from the bottom of the plane, the less leverage is there to try to pull the sides of the plane toward each other.  There have been pictures posted of that happening, with the bottom tube of the seat truss being buckled inward.  Of course if you lower the cabane, the arms with the bungees on them will need to be shortened as well so the wheels aren't splayed out.  JImChuk

Posted

I have read all I can find on all this and still feel very uneducated and confused. Everyone has a different answer on what works or should work very much like the correct amount of toe in or toe out.  I found the thread that showed pops dory's now machine as well as some others. 

Thanks everyone for your thoughts 

jamie

Posted

It would be a complete diffferent airplane on the ground with the wide gear.

1 person likes this

Posted

I know nothing about cabane gear design, other than all taildraggers need main gear toed out. Not sure how accurate, but its the best explanation I've seen for exactly how much toe out on a KF/Avid:

When setting toe in or out remember it doesn't take much. Just 1 degree would track 1 foot off for every 60 feet traveled. That's a lot of scuffing. Typical toe out is about zero to 0.25 degrees.

Posted

As a data point; for the High Wing gear (somewhat similar cabane style), the factory setting is 1.24 degrees of toe out.

Posted

Is that when the tail is up or sitting in a three point, I believe it changes quite a bit from one to the other,

Posted

I would assume leveled? I should also add that I believe the measure I quoted was in regard to a conversation of Grove spring gear. Maybe the recommended toe out increases with the gear travel?

Posted

Machinist - what was the final outcome on this? I don’t seem to find a completion post

Posted

I thought "Toe-Out" was a bad idea on Taildraggers?  Seem like most say it worsens groundloops - either no toe or slight toe-in mostly recommended?  EDMO

Posted

Toe in will tend to steer into the turn/ground loop, toe out wants to steer it out.  At least that's what I've always thought.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Toe in will tend to steer into the turn/ground loop, toe out wants to steer it out.  At least that's what I've always thought.  JImChuk

Weight is on the groundloop wheel - You may be right about toe-in?  (Too much deep-thinking for my Chemo brain right now!)  Either way, looks like straight - no toe, would be best?  I have no real experience with full groundloops - that's why I went Nosedragger when legs got unstable!    ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I still haven’t put the tall gear on I need to weld up the top part of the cabane.  Life is too busy hope to get it on in the spring.