Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

9460 on POWDER COAT?

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Will 9460 bond to Powder Coat?  Need to sand/scotchbrite first?  The reason I am asking is because I want to use a steel tube on the front of my ailerons for counterbalance instead of the aluminum leading edge tube I used for the flaps and I need to get them either powder coated or painted before gluing to ribs.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Sticks like craazy, scuff up and degrease you'll be fine.

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks Doug - heading to blasters and powder coaters tomorrow.  EDMO

Posted

Yessir, thanks Doug! I'll be glueing spar #8 to the spar attachments on my wing build. It was a question I was going to ask!

Wyatt

Posted (edited)

If I had been down here and known about the outfit that is doing my powder coating I would have had my spars coated before building my wings unless they cook the PC too hot - Going to check on that temperature next week.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I believe its 400 degrees, Shouldn't hurt aluminum a bit, probably make it stronger,

Posted

I believe its 400 degrees, Shouldn't hurt aluminum a bit, probably make it stronger,

Thanks TJay,  I have some 4130 stringers and leading edges for my ailerons being coated now.  When I pick them up next week I will verify the temperature and also ask if aluminum parts need to be prepped with acid and alodine before coating.  Never hurts to ask the ones who are supposed to be educated about what they are doing.   They had lots of parts there and I think some were aluminum.   EDMO

Posted

I was told by a few guys that after welding 6061 t-6 you should put it in the attic of a barn and let it cook for about 6 months, that's how you get back to the t-6 temper after welding, So I was just guessing 400 degrees for 5 minutes might do the same thing, No proof of this of course ha

Posted (edited)

We heat-treated some aluminum parts in school after forming them to shape - I forget what we dunked them in and how hot it was - I think it was melted lead?   Guess that's why we keep our school books and notes - takes pressure off of a crowded brain!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Melted LEAD! wow,now schools won't even let kids climb trees.Did you get to handle the parts with ASBESTOS gloves as well,it's a wonder you are still alive (if you listen to the experts)

We heat-treated some aluminum parts in school after forming them to shape - I forget what we dunked them in and how hot it was - I think it was melted lead?   Guess that's why we keep our school books and notes - takes pressure off of a crowded brain!  ;<)  EDMO

Melted lead is sooo much fun

Edited by Dusty

Posted (edited)

Gloves, Apron, Safety toe boots, Cap and Face shield - Guess they didn't know that Asbestos was outlawed?  It's a wonder that I ever got old enough to graduate from high school, because I was casting lead bullets and making fishing sinkers since I was about 10 years old!  And never died from the lead paint on our house either!  I think I was driving a team of mules and learning to drive the old tractor at that age too, heat from a coal stove and light from a kerosene lamp and eating food cooked in lard until someone invented Crisco!  Amazing that I could live thru all that!  :lol:  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Powder coat actually cures @ 350 for 20-30 minutes. At 400 you might get it cured around 10 minutes. If everyone was closer I could hook you up . I have a full setup with a 6'x3'x3' oven 

IMAG0211.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

I will report on the PC next week after I pick up my parts - I take mine to a big building that has conveyor lines, blasting booths, etc.  EDMO

Posted

I was a supervisor at a place with a 2500 ft line and 3 booths . Easy job but damn it was hot 

Posted

Yeh, I think the owner probably laughs about this old man bringing in a few parts that don't even pay good beer money.  EDMO

Posted

Ehh if he's got the line running and doing the same color not a big deal . The company I worked for only did there stuff and is missing out on other companies and people wanting stuff done. Oh well hopefully I can get another shop going between the powder coating, paint and welding it should be a one stop shop . Right now I pick up some stuff here and there but still do the daily 9-5 ugggh. 

20170327_132425.jpg

Posted (edited)

I picked up my aileron leading edge tubes and the fuselage stringers today.  The owner said that they bake at 400F.  He also said that they coat bare aluminum without any preps.  I think I may clean and alodine my aluminum parts anyway before getting them powder coated.  What does anyone else think about that?  

BTW:  I told the guy to make my parts White, or any color to speed up getting them - Do you think anyone will notice the Black stringers on my White fuselage?  ???  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Bare aluminium needs a chemical prep / wash to help it adhere better . Hopefully he at least put a nice thick coat on it . 

Posted

Bare aluminium needs a chemical prep / wash to help it adhere better . Hopefully he at least put a nice thick coat on it . 

All the parts I have had powder coated were blasted steel - I didn't know what the proper process would be for aluminum.  Thanks,  EDMO 

Posted

Aluminum gets washed and treated with a etching chemical to help the powder stick. Same reason you use a etch primer before you wet paint it . Steel you can pretty much sandblast , clean and put it on the line . I worked for a company that to my surprise would powdercoat over wet paint without stripping it.  This I wouldn't recommend at all . 

Posted

We always used Alumaprep to etch before treated with alodine. Not sure if alodine is compatible with powder coat.

Watch what you use as a degreaser. Some brake/electric motor cleaners will melt power coat.

Posted (edited)

We used both of those in the prop shop where I worked - Never was quite sure what good the Alodine did after etching, except make it look like gold, but that was the approved procedure.  I think the Alodine probably goes back to the days of Zinc Chromate which didn't stick too good?  ???  I just got my KITPLANES mag today and there is an article in it about prepping aluminum - I need to read it.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO