Tailwheel replacement (5 inch)

37 posts in this topic

Posted

I have someone who has offered to build me an 8" with a lower profile...think that is where I am leaning.

Posted

Maybe more than that Leslie if you got ahold of a new factory spring somehow.  Mine is flattened out some I'm sure.   Another problem you will run into if you go with a double or triple spring is the channel sides the spring fits in is only long enough to capture one 1/4 or 3/8" thickness of spring.  And there is only one bolt holding the spring on.  A second hole has to be added up through the bottom of the channel to hold the second (lower) spring in place.  Not that hard to do when you have a trap door like mine does, but I'm guessing you don't have that added feature.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Here's something funny...I joked earlier about the current wheel being a shopping cart wheel....I think it actually is!!!  Looking at replacements for it and the only thing that seems to meet the specs and design is actually a shopping card wheel.

Posted (edited)

Here's something funny...I joked earlier about the current wheel being a shopping cart wheel....I think it actually is!!!  Looking at replacements for it and the only thing that seems to meet the specs and design is actually a shopping card wheel.

I was amazed and delighted at how Dean kept the costs down and made it easier for "ordinary folks" to build his plane - had a good chuckle when he said he cut strips out of a milk jug to make hanger bearings for the flaperons.   The cable trailing edge was a money-saver too, although a better trailing edge can be made from the aluminum ones that Spruce sells.  The cable brakes were another money-saver that needed upgrading too, so I guess a shopping cart tailwheel would be a cheaper way to build as well.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hi TSoftware,

note also the recent post http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/4922-time-for-a-new-tailwheel/ 

I would not be too concerned about slightly raising the tail. I can't see the entire spring on your photo but it look rather short and with a 5 in wheel you might currently be lower than many others. True, if you have shopping chart wheel on the main gear... well...

I do agree with previous comments, pneumatic is definitely the way to go. So is double spring...

Fred

Posted

Perhaps I should just knock over a shopping cart ;)

Heading to Wal-Mart to find one that doesn't wobble.

lol

Actually I recall once doing that on an UL years ago replacing it's t/w.  I had a shopping cart stashed in the back of the hanger that I found on the side of the road.  Those wheels are damn good and w/sealed bearings.

Posted (edited)

That's the one.  I called them 5 years ago and they knew exactly what I needed.  They even shipped it before they had cash in hand (I mailed them a check).  Great folks.  1 1/4" wide, fits fine in the slot of the Model C with one bolt and renders the perfect angle for the Maule assy.

Edited by allonsye

Posted

New homemade 8 inch tail wheel on original spring. 

20170423_123101.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

What's the TBO on that little pivot bolt?  EDMO

Posted

I took my spring off and went to a car spring shop, they rebent it in 5 minutes and did it for $20.

The tail wheel is at station 147.5 on my MK IV, so that every 2.6 inches is a degree (one inch per 57 inches is a degree).

I went from the 6" Maule to the 8" Matco (pneumatic, single arm) and I guess I am now a degree or so lower angle at tail touch than before, but the full stall 3 pointers are just as easy as ever, and the landings are softer, the taxiing is noiseless and easy to steer, and I love the new tailwheel.

Here is the full discussion thread: http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/4360-tail-wheel-swap-to-a-matco-pneumatic-8/

Posted

It's not hard to cold bend these springs if you have a good hydraulic press.  I've done it several times.   JImChuk

Posted

The May edition of SportAviation has a good article on tail wheel geometry, if you don't have it find someone who can loan it to you. A very worthy read. Mike