Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 Burn Rates

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For you guys with decent fuel flow meters on a 582, what are you typically seeing for a bur rate at cruise RPM (say 5500 to 5800)?

Going to be doing some cross country work and want to get a better handle on things.  Most of my flights have been shorter hops and, on average, about 5.0 GPH.

The book shows more like 5.4 GPH plus, but I don't think I am that high.  Just trying to figure out how conservative the book is.  Understand prop loading  and altitude etc will affect this for a given RPM.

As a general rule of thumb the carbureted 2 stroke formula is a rough start anyway I guess:  GPH = (Horsepower currently being delivered)/10

Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

This might help (excuse the metrics imperial mix) my 582 KF3 on x country uses 15 litres per hour off the Hobbs,which includes warmup etc, if I stay below 3000ft which gives an egt of1000-1100 f.Most of my x country legs are typically around 2 hours due to only having 40 litres of fuel,I fly at 5300-5400rpm in the tiny tach with an airspeed of 60 kts,if I go to 70 kts (5700) fuel burn goes to 18 litres ph,50 kts fuel is only 13 litres ph,with my Hacman type mixture control and leaned to 1150f I get around 1-2 litres per hour less fuel burn but can maintain15litre ph even up to 8000 ft to get over most of our mountain passes.My needle jet combination is non standard and has taken a lot of trial and error to get right!(I even run 35 idle jets)

as an interesting side note my 582 runs smoother than my 912 KF4 and per nautical mile travelled uses slightly less fuel but at a slower speed also I typically carry twice the fuel in the 4

cheers

Dusty

Edited by Dusty

Posted

This might help (excuse the metrics imperial mix) my 582 KF3 on x country uses 15 litres per hour off the Hobbs,which includes warmup etc, if I stay below 3000ft which gives an egt of1000-1100 f.Most of my x country legs are typically around 2 hours due to only having 40 litres of fuel,I fly at 5300-5400rpm in the tiny tach with an airspeed of 60 kts,if I go to 70 kts (5700) fuel burn goes to 18 litres ph,50 kts fuel is only 13 litres ph,with my Hacman type mixture control and leaned to 1150f I get around 1-2 litres per hour less fuel burn but can maintain15litre ph even up to 8000 ft to get over most of our mountain passes.My needle jet combination is non standard and has taken a lot of trial and error to get right!(I even run 35 idle jets)

as an interesting side note my 582 runs smoother than my 912 KF4 and per nautical mile travelled uses slightly less fuel but at a slower speed also I typically carry twice the fuel in the 4

cheers

Dusty

No problem Rusty, All we need to do is multiply liters by .264 to get U.S. gallons.  15 liters = Right at 4 gallons.   EDMO

Posted

at 5800 and sea level I am burning around 5.6-5.8 GPH  at 4,000 I am down to 4.6 GPH Most of my cruising is at 61-6200 and burning around 6.1 GPH at 4-5000'

At 6500 on take off burn is 7.2 GPH

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Good info, thanks guys!

Posted (edited)

503_invoice_2.thumb.jpeg.ec00c16a007679dSorry that engine run sheet was for a 503 Rotax but it probably slurps  fuel just as bad as a 582

Edited by zadwit

Posted

I use 5gph for an all around Wag and Flight planning. 

1 person likes this

Posted

If I kept the rpm at 5000, I would burn about 3.5 gph. with a 582.   JImChuk

1 person likes this