Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotec

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone flown a kitfox or an avid with a rotec 2800 radial? Seems like a lot of weight up front. I look forward to hearing.

Rick

Posted (edited)

If that is the radial shown in the Kitfox ad pictures, I heard that they had some large problems flying it.  Donno how that worked out.  I haven't heard of any more of them being made. ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

There are a couple of Kitfox IVs with Rotec engines.  They are very heavy for that airframe.  I don't know that without a fuselage stretch it would work in an Avid.  These engines are 225# or more installed.  They also require a wood prop of pretty large diameter.  The installation in the newer (5+) Kitfoxes work a little better because these airframes are designed for a heavier engine.  Performance was mediocre at best.  

Reliability was a concern with the Kitfox SS show plane.  This is one of the reasons it was disassembled in favor of a Lycoming 233.

...but they look Pretty.

Kitfox-440.jpg

Posted (edited)

I think that the 5 cyl radial that uses the (VW or Harley?) cylinders would be more size-suited to a Kitfox 1 - 4 or Avid, but did it have a lack of HP, I think.  I have never heard any more about them since the one video.   I really don't understand why there would be a shortage of HP with them when the Hardly V-twins can get 150 HP.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

HERE is the Kitplanes magazine review article of the radial KF.

Posted

This subject came up on the "other" site a year or so ago, and  I mentioned or maybe posted this video or one like it.  Seemed it took the plane about 10 or 12 seconds to get off the ground.  When I mentioned that in my post, I was told that they had to kind of slowly add power because of the torque of the engine.  So if you have tons of take off power you can't use, and the article mentioned the 912 was faster, lighter, burns less fuel, and has better visibility,  I don't see a reason why I would want one.  My thinking is function first, fashion somewhat further down the line.  YMMV.  JImChuk

3 people like this

Posted

Because of the torque? ;)

I wonder why they put the door strut in front where you have to look around it?

Posted

I think on some of the Avids the hold-open was in the back and could poke in your shoulder?  ???  EDMO 

Posted (edited)

The Avid MK IV had the hold opens in the back.  I never used the factory hold open though.  Made a strap of aluminum with a slot in it that would hook and hold if you lifted the door high enough. Never got poked in the back with that.  Finish could have been a bit better, but it worked fine.  You did have to push the door up, and with the other hand push the bottom of the strap off the hook.  Makes closing the door in flight a bit more difficult.  JImChuk

door holdopen 001.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I converted my cupboard hinges to gas struts in the back as one of my first mods. There's a write up on here someplace. 

Posted

I think on some of the Avids the hold-open was in the back and could poke in your shoulder?  ???  EDMO 

Never been poked by mine. They lower fasteners are behind the seat cushion.