Wanted - Dual arm Matco 6" pneumatic w/steering arms

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Title pretty much says it all

Posted

Matco only makes a single arm 6".  They make a dual arm 7" and up.  If you even plan on flying off loose gravel or sand I would get the 8" wide.

:BC:

Posted

just saw this on barnstormers.  MATCO 8" PNEUMATIC TAILWHEEL • $120 • FOR SALE Matco 8" Pneumatic tailwheel. Bought new, lightly used. No issues. $240. new. Will sell $120. • Contact Richard A. McGarity, Owner - located Winter Park, FL USA • Telephone: 407 312-2657 . • Posted April 8, 2017 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to Watchlist

Posted

I am still a little wary about jumping from a 5" to an 8" tailwheel, but I sent the guy an offer....I guess we will if I am going to have issues with it.

Posted (edited)

Just remember, an 8" TW will only raise the tail 1.5" over the 5" TW, or 1" over the 6" TW, and takes you over the bumps a lot easier, and shouldn't bother you at all.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

After you put the bush gear and big tires on, the 8" tailwheel will seem small :-)   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

@Edmo, I think there will be a bit more difference than that because of the differences between the Matco and of the current tailwheel design.

@avid.  Unfortunately the bush gear aren't currently on the immediate list.  I have read about the various wide gear that people have suggested, but they all seem to put stresses in other places that you have to account for, or, in some cases, the gear are no longer attainable.

If you go with the spring gear, you get rid of the bungees, but put more forces on the support structure, that you need to reinforce, especially in case of bottoming situations.

In the case of the gear that mimic the currently installed ones, people keep talking about the stress on the longerons.

Which gear would you suggest and why?

What mitigations would you need to take based upon your suggestion?

Measuring my current gear, it is right at 60" from tire center to tire center.  I read another post somewhere on this forum that indicated that was already wider than normal, especially considering that the fuselage appears to be from an A model.  What sort of distance are we talking about wanting?

I have aluminum rims that are supposed to fit the current axels, that I inherited, and have hydraulics brakes, but of course that requires me to put in the rest of the equipment to support the hydraulic brakes.  This too is on the list, just not the immediate list

The other day, when I was doing an engine run on the old engine, I moved the rudder around a bit and chunks came off the current tailwheel and is the reason that it got promoted to immediate.

Posted (edited)

I capitulate on the tailwheel - actually my attorney told me to plead "No Contest"!  I was thinking of the differences in "Aircraft" tailwheels, and not "Shopping Cart" wheels!   But I still think you will be happier with the big Matco.  

I would have paid the guy what he was asking so it didn't get away, but my 600x6 nosewheel and tire are 19" diameter!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

And I plan on giving it a shot.  I haven't heard back from the guy on Barnstormers yet (Email) and will probably give him a call if I don't hear from him some time tomorrow.  Based upon his price quote, it will be a single arm, so we shall see how it goes.