Bungee cord 3 wraps bottom and two on top

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was just looking at the bungee cords on my newly acquired Avid Flyer (Model A/B/C little bit from each).  Everything that I have read says that you should use 3/8 bungee with 7 wraps on the bottom and 6 on the top.  The current bungees on the plane look to be at least 1/2" cord with three wraps on the bottom and two on the top.  Anyone have any idea of why this would have been set up this way?

Edited by TSoftware

Posted

Maybe the cord he had on hand, maybe he didn't have a manual,  maybe he thought he knew more then Dean Wilson (the designer of the plane)  maybe, maybe, maybe.  The list could be endless.  Question is, did it work ok the way he has it?  Some times people do come up with better ideas then the designer.  Not often though.... My thinking is, when in doubt, follow the manual.   You wont get any glory when it works for knowing more then the designer, but you also won't get the "can't you read a manual" when you try it your way and now you're trying to pick up the pieces  :-)   JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The build manual, from this site, does not specify the size or length of bungee to use, I got that from reading this site.  It does however specify the 7 / 6 wraps.  One of the gear is starting to sag from the fuselage.  On one side the gear looks flush to the fuselage and on the other side I can see a gap.  I also noted a difference in the wheel stance and a difference in wing height from the ground, which is why I initially started looking for the cause.  I had already ordered the 3/8" bungee and 90" lengths, based upon what I had read on the site, but I wanted to make sure that I was going down the right path and there wasn't a valid build reason for it being the way that it was.

Edited by TSoftware

Posted

I think I just posted the other day about going with 18' of 3/8" shock cord from ACS.  Wrap the first side, tie off the loop before you cut it off.  Then you will have some thing to hold onto on the second side while your partner ties off the loop for the second side. The finished loops are supposed to be 90", not the over all bungee cord. JImChuk

Being as how the bungee cords came with the kit originally, I suppose they didn't have a reason to give a dimention

1 person likes this

Posted

I actually have already ordered, and received 20' of 3/8" and ordered the connectors because they seemed like a much nicer finishing.  Whether I will use the connectors or not, I have not fully decided.  The price on them was reasonable, so it isn't like it was a financial risk.