Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Grass runway mower

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have a 1300' strip behind my house. This this thing is F'ing awesome... Oh yea, I can mow my yard and shop yard with it... EFI and full independent suspension... :o

DSC00818_zps8uelsffo.jpg

DSC00816_zpsjgjl2box.jpg

https://www.ferrismowers.com/na/en_us/home.html

Edited by Fly-n-Low
1 person likes this

Posted

Those front springs look like what I need!  Nice ride!  Does anything besides grass grow in those fields?   EDMO

Posted

Independent suspension is a must on those big, fast zero turns if you value your kidneys!

2 people like this

Posted

I have a 42" wide trailmower I pull behind my mowing machine.  Easy extra 3' + to each pass.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a 42" wide trailmower I pull behind my mowing machine.  Easy extra 3' + to each pass.  JImChuk

I have been looking at one for trail maintenance around the cabin.  I think I need to take an actual brush hog and put some wheels under it and engine on top.  The alders are getting a bit unruly since the fire came through a few years ago and trails that have always been wide open are now trying to rake us off the wheelers of the snogo's.. How heavy duty is your trail mower?  do you think it would eat up brush that is 1-2" in diameter?

:BC:

Posted

This is pretty much what my trail mower is.  (older, different color)  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Swisher-44-in-10-5-HP-Briggs-Stratton-Finish-Cut-Trail-Mower-California-Compliant-FC10544BS/204799491

Swisher also makes heavier mowers that will mow and bush hog.  I've never used one or seen one work myself.  JImChuk

http://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/p/swisher-44-inch-rough-cut-tow-behind-trail-cutter/

1 person likes this

Posted

Those front springs look like what I need!  Nice ride!  Does anything besides grass grow in those fields?   EDMO

Thanks! That field is where I plant my soybeans!

Posted

I have been looking at one for trail maintenance around the cabin.  I think I need to take an actual brush hog and put some wheels under it and engine on top.  The alders are getting a bit unruly since the fire came through a few years ago and trails that have always been wide open are now trying to rake us off the wheelers of the snogo's.. How heavy duty is your trail mower?  do you think it would eat up brush that is 1-2" in diameter?

:BC:

Never seen a brush hog (I assume you are talking about the type with the swinging blades) with its own power. All of mine are run off the PTO. If you find one, make sure it has a shear bolt, clutch, or belt that can slip if you should hit something solid.

Posted (edited)

Thanks! That field is where I plant my soybeans!

OMG - I just had a flashback to early years riding on an old tractor-pulled Allis Chalmers combine and standing, sacking, lifting, stacking, bags of soybeans in all that dust!  At least that was a step up from picking corn by hand and filling an old wagon pulled by some farting mules in the hot summer!   We got the modern type of combine just before I left for the Army - The next guy had it made, with enclosed cab, power steering, AC, radio, - all the things I never imagined in a combine!  Ha!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Ed,

Now they steer themselves too.  I guess the 'farmer' can just take a nap while harvesting! :-)

I remember harvesting soybeans - I usually ran the tractor pulling the wagons (no mules thankfully).  While waiting for it to get full, I'd chase the mice that made it all the way through the combine somehow, and were trapped in the wagon.  Used to see if I could get them going fast enough to stick to the walls while running around the top, like those motorcycle guys at the carnival! 

When I got older and interested in flying, I decided that harvested soybean fields were the best emergency landing spots, harvested corn probably the worst.  If I had to land in a 'growing' field, corn way my choice.  The tall plants should absorb a lot of energy, without tipping the plane over.  A harvested corn field was full of things to catch the wheels and flip it right over though.

Mark

Posted

Unless you have to go into the trees, The biggest tires you can put on are usually a health benefit.  EDMO

Posted

What are you guys mowing for? Joey makes it look like all you need is two tire tracks, :)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

What are you guys mowing for? Joey makes it look like all you need is two tire tracks, :)

Probably so they don't run over the gators and armidillos and get animal rights organizers all upset!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

The way I land, my prop could do the job.....;-)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The way I land, my prop could do the job.....;-)

I believe when I land, the animals think an earthquake is happening, and they duck into their burrows!  Just guessing, but the FAA rule on prop to ground clearance is to protect the animals, and not your prop?   ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

Probably so they don't run over the gators and armidillos and get animal rights organizers all upset!  ;<)  EDMO

I shoot every dillar I see! And let that 12' gator cross the hwy in front of my house into my yard and I will shoot him too!!! :flamegun:

1 person likes this

Posted

Lotsa rain and sun here, grass is starting to explode. If I had one of those in my toy shed I'd probably have 25hrs on it already.