Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WTB: right side wide gear for avid/ kitfox

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Looking for a right side wide gear for an avid/ kitfox. Have an old left side wide gear from my mkiv avid and currently building a model 3 kitfox and would like to widen it up. Let me know if you know of anything, thanks! 

Edited by Neloner

Posted

The topic of Avid gear on a Kitfox has come up before, and I thought they were the same, other than the Avid MK IV ended up about 2" taller.  Last summer, I was going to put a set of Avid gear on the Kitfox 1 cause I wanted the newer style brakes.  The Avid gear did not work.  The bracing ended up being where the bungees go on the Kitfox.  I took some pictures of the belly of the Kitfox 1 and the Avid gear with a tape pulled from the same point.  The front bolt that holds the gear to the longeron.   Notice that on the Kitfox 1, the bungee sits between 13" and 15".  Look what is in the way at that point on the Avid gear.  The gear on the Kitfox are supposedly from a Kitfox 4 according to an entry in the log book.  Don't know if earlier Kitfox gear measure differently.   Might be a good time to pull out a tape and compare your gear.   Maybe my gear are not standard??? I think they are, but who knows.   YMMVJImChuk

Photo0182.jpg

Photo0183.jpg

Posted

I have put the avid wide gear on all of the KF1-4 with no issues, it will work.  The worst you may have to do is grind the tab off and take approximately 1/8" off the end of the tube.  You should take that tube off anyway and insert a tube inside it to take care of the cracking issue at the toe of that weld.

:BC:

Posted

^Wooo hooo! Glad to hear! So anybody have one? Or two?

Posted

I would think that if you have one side for a pattern that it would be fairly easy to make the opposite side.   EDMO