Avid Model A Rebuild

75 posts in this topic

Posted

I purchased a banged up Avid Flyer plane that needs repaired, This is my first project that I am attempting.......Looking forward to it.....

IMG_20170218_121359.jpg

IMG_20170218_135112.jpg

IMG_20170216_194849.jpg

IMG_20170216_193746.jpg

IMG_20170216_193708.jpg

IMG_20170216_193655.jpg

Posted

Started with repairing one of the wing panels. It has been a challenge, especially trying to free up the flaperon hinges. I ended having to open it to disassemble the flaperon. This was the only way i could  get the hinges cleaned up and moving freely. I have a bit of work left on the rib repairs, There was no instructions that came with the repair kit. So I am "Winging It"

IMG_20170302_173352.jpg

IMG_20170302_173414.jpg

IMG_20170304_103037.jpg

IMG_20170304_103204.jpg

IMG_20170304_103214.jpg

IMG_20170306_195318.jpg

IMG_20170331_131408.jpg

IMG_20170402_201635.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

This is the new spar stiffener, made of Hemlock.

IMG_20170306_172356.jpg

IMG_20170306_182710.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

You Boys in AK sure find alot of Avids, Winging it is usually fine 90% of the build is common sense, If you run into issues just ask of there is a manual on this site, I like that in your posts you add pictures, Keep it up,

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks like a cool project, good luck. Mike

Posted

Wow, you do have a project on your hands.  Not insurmountable though.  Was the lift strut bracket not glued and riveted on originally?  They're supposed to be.... We love pictures, feel free to ask questions as well.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The strut bracket was glued on, but rust was visible under the epoxy. , So i removed it, cleaned it and re epoxied it back on. Wasn't to difficult to do. Not like the flaperon.....That was a bitch!

Edited by fillmanw

Posted (edited)

You Boys in AK sure find alot of Avids, Winging it is usually fine 90% of the build is common sense, If you run into issues just ask of there is a manual on this site, I like that in your posts you add pictures, Keep it up,

I haven't seen any myself, looking forward to flying this bird......They look like a lot of fun..I got the plans off the site....

Edited by fillmanw

Posted (edited)

Anyone with a 'garage' like that has the ability to get that Avid back in the air, lol. Interesting pic of the disassembled flaperon, never seen the insides before. Kinda looks like you reskinned with fiberglass instead of aluminum? Are you chopping that motor mount off and updating FWF... Ie., what engine you planning for? Lots of suggestions onsite to help increase your M.T.O.W., not much gross on the Avid A model.

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

Anyone with a 'garage' like that has the ability to get that Avid back in the air, lol. Interesting pic of the disassembled flaperon, never seen the insides before. Kinda looks like you reskinned with fiberglass instead of aluminum? Are you chopping that motor mount off and updating FWF... Ie., what engine you planning for? Lots of suggestions onsite to help increase your M.T.O.W., not much gross on the Avid A model.

No, it was the original skin. Took a lot of extra rivets though to get the shape two cans of spray foam and epoxy. I added more rivets to the underside and had to use a little bondo to fill in some of the dents from the original owner.....it actually came out weighing the same, don't know how though......I am looking into a Hirth. Not sure what model yet, really want the 100 HP model. Hirth has been around for along time and has a great reputation. and being a air cooled two stroke, its much lighter than a Rotax 912.....So yes, the engine mount gets cut off. Ill probably play around with the Cuyuna a little though. Its actually in very good shape....

IMG_20170412_001309.jpg

Edited by fillmanw

Posted

I can get you a 100hp hirth fairly cheap but shipping is what will get you

Posted

I can get you a 100hp hirth fairly cheap but shipping is what will get you

Oh, really, New, Used, what kind of price......Like your UN.....

Posted

It's used I'll get pictures asap

Posted

It's used I'll get pictures asap

text 907-414-8570

Posted

Engine on the way. looking forward to getting it........100 hp Hirth.

2 people like this

Posted

@ chopndrag.....engine received.....appears to be as stated. Pistons look new in cylinders. looking forward to running it......What can you tell me about pump carbs. do they compensate for altitude?

1 person likes this

Posted

We have several members in the Valley.  Very interested in how that Hirth works out for you.  We have a few of us in the Kenai / Soldotna area as well that like to build, repair and get out and fly around. 

Posted

I'll look into it but your best source of info would be Matt at Recreational Power . That guy can answer any questions you have about hirth  

@ chopndrag.....engine received.....appears to be as stated. Pistons look new in cylinders. looking forward to running it......What can you tell me about pump carbs. do they compensate for altitude?

Posted

I'll look into it but your best source of info would be Matt at Recreational Power . That guy can answer any questions you have about hirth  

Thanks.....

We have several members in the Valley.  Very interested in how that Hirth works out for you.  We have a few of us in the Kenai / Soldotna area as well that like to build, repair and get out and fly around. 

Cool, Would love to see one up close. What engine is most commonly on one of these planes.

Posted (edited)

I waited 6 hours for an Avid Historian to answer you.  My best knowledge is that the A model came with a Cayuna engine.  Evidently, there was either a problem getting more of them, or Rotax came up with a more powerful engine.  Probably, most engines were replaced with the Rotax 503 -50 hp, or the 532-65 hp which came with the B model and was soon replaced with the 582-65 hp which has been the most common engine for early Avids and Kitfoxes since then.  Kitfox gave a trade-in credit for 532 engines when the owners wanted to upgrade to the 582 when the Kitfox 1 was flying.   You might find better answers in "History of the Avid" that I think C5Engineer posted.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Left wing almost finished

IMG_20170517_202551.jpg

IMG_20170517_202557.jpg

IMG_20170517_202530.jpg

Posted

What did you paint with. Also, what covering system are you using?  JImChuk

Posted

I was wondering about that too - Most systems say to sand the capstrips before gluing fabric.   EDMO

Posted

its been painted with ratle can primer from home depot, self etching, had plenty of it, got a good soaking into the wood. figured that should seal the wood just fine.....not sure what system im going to use yet, probably what is on the local store shelf here in wasilla. wing panel came out to just about 40 lbs uncovered.

kind of like the OD green color, 

Posted

Thanks.....

Cool, Would love to see one up close. What engine is most commonly on one of these planes.

@ akflyer, would like to view a avid plane, would like to meet with a owner to have a look at their plane, would help to answer questions about the plane.