Avid Model A Rebuild

75 posts in this topic

Posted

One thing I would maybe be concerned about is the paint on top of the cap strips. Unless you ribstich the fabric, the fabric is glued onto the 1" cap strips on the ribs.  (Actually it's fine to glue and ribstich)  My concern is will the MEK solvent in the glue lift the paint and give a poor attachment to the rib?  (that is, if you are using poly fiber system, although the concern is valid with other systems as well)  Like Ed mentioned, usually bare wood is best on the capstrips where the glue will attach.  Actually same goes for trailing edge and front spar.  JImChuk

Posted

One thing I would maybe be concerned about is the paint on top of the cap strips. Unless you ribstich the fabric, the fabric is glued onto the 1" cap strips on the ribs.  (Actually it's fine to glue and ribstich)  My concern is will the MEK solvent in the glue lift the paint and give a poor attachment to the rib?  (that is, if you are using poly fiber system, although the concern is valid with other systems as well)  Like Ed mentioned, usually bare wood is best on the capstrips where the glue will attach.  Actually same goes for trailing edge and front spar.  JImChuk

good point, was thinking of sanding it off....I will be ribstiching for sure.

Posted

will test out. the primer is oil based, most likely mek as a solvent in it....ive seen plenty of instructional vids of faberic going on over primed metal

Posted

Update....Continuing along. One wing ready for paint. Firewall almost finished. 

IMG_20170911_172907.jpg

IMG_20170917_183647.jpg

IMG_20170920_051609.jpg

IMG_20170813_183914.jpg

IMG_20170813_183923.jpg

IMG_20170813_183931.jpg

IMG_20170816_201744.jpg

IMG_20170816_201809.jpg

IMG_20170817_181828.jpg

IMG_20170821_051150.jpg

IMG_20170821_051200.jpg

IMG_20170906_194511.jpg

IMG_20170906_194536.jpg

Posted

will test out. the primer is oil based, most likely mek as a solvent in it....ive seen plenty of instructional vids of faberic going on over primed metal

well, tried several glues, the best was the water based glue, , the worst was Superflight. Superflight dissolved almost every finish put on the air frame. 

Posted

Good to see you are making progress.  Keep at it!  JImChuk

Posted

Firewall  rebuilt, Motor mount mocked up. Has been a challenge, The Hirth F30 is a big engine for this plane......

IMG_20171011_174951.jpg

IMG_20171011_174931.jpg

IMG_20171010_191049.jpg

IMG_20171010_191041.jpg

IMG_20171011_190436.jpg

IMG_20171011_190422.jpg

IMG_20171011_175001.jpg

Posted

Looks good makes me wish I kept the motor . That plane is going to be fun to fly that's for sure . 

Posted

Motor Mount primed and painted. Tin installed for firewall. Need to buy a prop, figure cg, battery placement, ect......

IMG_20171021_165159.jpg

IMG_20171021_165329.jpg

IMG_20171021_165306.jpg

IMG_20171021_165224.jpg

IMG_20171021_165207.jpg

Posted

With a 582, your CG would probably end up near the front of the envelope.  With the heavier? engine even more so.  I would make a provision for mounting the battery as far back in the tail as you can.  JImChuk

Photo0217.jpg

Photo0218.jpg

Photo0219.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah I intend to put the battery as far back as I absolutely can. I chose a motorcycle battery that was used to start equivalent cc engine. So it's not that large. I also have 5 gallons of fuel that's just behind the trailing edge of the wing. Will be interesting no matter how you look at it to get it balanced 

Posted

Actually the hirth is close in weight to a loaded 582 . It'll be close but you shouldn't have any problems with cg . 

Posted

Making progress. IMG_20180204_161213.thumb.jpg.8c94577bfaIMG_20180204_213242.thumb.jpg.0195170bd4IMG_20180204_161150.thumb.jpg.784d89816b

IMG_20180204_212919.jpg

IMG_20180204_161226.jpg

IMG_20180204_212913.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Making progress. Landing gear will eventually be replaced, one is a original and the other is a new one. One wheel is about 2 inches farther forward.....The wing tIMG_20180204_161213.thumb.jpg.8c94577bfaIMG_20180204_213242.thumb.jpg.0195170bd4IMG_20180204_161150.thumb.jpg.784d89816b

IMG_20180204_212919.jpg

IMG_20180204_161226.jpg

IMG_20180204_212913.jpg

Update....Continuing along. One wing ready for paint. Firewall almost finished. 

IMG_20170911_172907.jpg

IMG_20170917_183647.jpg

IMG_20170920_051609.jpg

IMG_20170813_183914.jpg

IMG_20170813_183923.jpg

IMG_20170813_183931.jpg

IMG_20170816_201744.jpg

IMG_20170816_201809.jpg

IMG_20170817_181828.jpg

IMG_20170821_051150.jpg

IMG_20170821_051200.jpg

IMG_20170906_194511.jpg

IMG_20170906_194536.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Great progress on your Avid!  Sorry I am so late to comment on it; I have been pretty involved in building new wings and getting ready for a motor change on mine that I have not been on the website much and was not aware of your post.  I'll PM you, we need to get together and see each other's birds since we are nearly neighbors.

Will talk soon,

Randy

Posted

Looking good.  I do have one thought though.  With the sticks being straight I don't think you will be able to get full deflection on the roll especially if you have a passenger.  They are curved and offset for a pretty good reason.  I do have a spare stick and a tubing bender that will bend them without deforming the tube so I could make a couple sticks for you if you would like.  I would hate to see a lot of work go down the shitter and you get hurt because you could not get your leg out of the way to give full input on short final and a gusty cross wind.  Mine only had 1 stick when I got it and I tried using a straight stick on the passenger side so my son could fly... that lasted about 1 minute into the flight and I pulled the pin and the stick.

That leads me to thought #2 on the passenger stick using a quick pin to hold it in will make it really easy to the passenger to get in and out and put the stick in place once in the seat.  Or if its a larger person with meaty thighs you can pull the stick and shove it under the seat.

I am very interested in how it performs with that engine as well.  Akflyerbob has one being rebuilt at the factory right now to put in his Mod II KF.  I am hoping it perfroms like I think it will!

Keep at it, you are getting close to getting her in the air.

:BC:

Posted

Dude...The amount of (quality) work you are getting done and the speed you are doing it amazes me. I am jealous. Your shop isn't bad either :-)

BTW, how difficult was it to remove your spar stiffeners? I'm about to tackle that on my plane. I want to replace the existing stiffeners with longer to hopefully reduce wing flex.

Thanks!

Chris

Posted (edited)

Well that is looking damm nice and fast work.  My KitFox is comin along well also. By the way is ur lookin for some Avid A parts i have one here im parting out, (with 3 KitFoxs #0021,0038,0048 i dont need to build the Avid,  have set of builable wings,doors,flaperons,turtledeck,cowl,fuseloge w/tail cut off but have tail,control surfaces,think a set of gear,wing struts w/wood farings, and lots of mis parts, cockpit control stick and linkages, foot controls if anyone lookin for stuff its all cheap or trades work to, and i belive Avid A build book/paperwork planns 

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Well that is looking damm nice and fast work.  My KitFox is comin along well also. By the way is ur lookin for some Avid A parts i have one here im parting out, (with 3 KitFoxs #0021,0038,0048 i dont need to build the Avid,  have set of builable wings,doors,flaperons,turtledeck,cowl,fuseloge w/tail cut off but have tail,control surfaces,think a set of gear,wing struts w/wood farings, and lots of mis parts, cockpit control stick and linkages, foot controls if anyone lookin for stuff its all cheap or trades work to, and i belive Avid A build book/paperwork planns 

Yea, im interested in parts. message me with a price, Ill probably take the lot.....Got a set of the original

Dude...The amount of (quality) work you are getting done and the speed you are doing it amazes me. I am jealous. Your shop isn't bad either :-)

BTW, how difficult was it to remove your spar stiffeners? I'm about to tackle that on my plane. I want to replace the existing stiffeners with longer to hopefully reduce wing flex.

Thanks!

Chris

The spar stiffeners pretty much were rotted out. replaced with hemlock. the original was plywood.

Posted

Yea, im interested in parts. message me with a price, Ill probably take the lot.....Got a set of the original

Thanks!

Chris

The spar stiffeners pretty much were rotted out. replaced with hemlock. the original was plywood.

Im not sure about quality.....This is the first plane ive ever done. Im cutting my teeth on this one. Its a learning project. Looking forward to building a bigger plane. Trying to save every dime i can. Paint is rustolium enamel. I experimented with catalyst from super flight. it worked to my surprise. I just rolled it on. did not feel like spraying.....

Posted

Thanks!

Chris

Im not sure about quality.....This is the first plane ive ever done. Im cutting my teeth on this one. Its a learning project. Looking forward to building a bigger plane. Trying to save every dime i can. Paint is rustolium enamel. I experimented with catalyst from super flight. it worked to my surprise. I just rolled it on. did not feel like spraying.....

Ive also decided to build some wing tanks and get rid of the dash tank....

Posted

Looking good.  I do have one thought though.  With the sticks being straight I don't think you will be able to get full deflection on the roll especially if you have a passenger.  They are curved and offset for a pretty good reason.  I do have a spare stick and a tubing bender that will bend them without deforming the tube so I could make a couple sticks for you if you would like.  I would hate to see a lot of work go down the shitter and you get hurt because you could not get your leg out of the way to give full input on short final and a gusty cross wind.  Mine only had 1 stick when I got it and I tried using a straight stick on the passenger side so my son could fly... that lasted about 1 minute into the flight and I pulled the pin and the stick.

That leads me to thought #2 on the passenger stick using a quick pin to hold it in will make it really easy to the passenger to get in and out and put the stick in place once in the seat.  Or if its a larger person with meaty thighs you can pull the stick and shove it under the seat.

I am very interested in how it performs with that engine as well.  Akflyerbob has one being rebuilt at the factory right now to put in his Mod II KF.  I am hoping it perfroms like I think it will!

Keep at it, you are getting close to getting her in the air.

Absolutly. Would love sticks that are bent.back. Would love to see your  plane close up maybe even a ride......This engine should go like a raped ape. Do you have a opinion on props, 3 blase vs 2 blade brand, Ive been really looking at ivoprop.

1 person likes this

Posted

Absolutly. Would love sticks that are bent.back. Would love to see your  plane close up maybe even a ride......This engine should go like a raped ape. Do you have a opinion on props, 3 blase vs 2 blade brand, Ive been really looking at ivoprop.

I will get on it when I get home then. 

I am torn right now.  I love how smooth the IVO runs but I keep hearing from guys that say the warp pulls harder and the kool prop discussion on here really has my attention.  I am really thinking of getting the kool prop and trying it out to see if its really that much of a difference.

I tried mine as a 2 and 3 blade and the 3 blade was much better.  Opinions on this varies.

Posted

What I like about the Ivo prop is if you have a 3 blade and you ding one you can change it to 2 blade really easy

Posted

What I like about the Ivo prop is if you have a 3 blade and you ding one you can change it to 2 blade really easy

Don't you have to have a 2-blade hub to do that?  You could do the same with Warp Drive and 2 hubs.  EDMO