Avid Model A Rebuild

75 posts in this topic

Posted

If you drop one blade, (from 3 to 2) you probably don't have enough pitch adjustment without changing the gear ratio.  Ed,  an IVO uses the same hub, 2 or 3 blade.  Spacers are used to make up the difference between 2 and 3 blades width.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

What I like about the Ivo prop is if you have a 3 blade and you ding one you can change it to 2 blade really easy

Don't you have to have a 2-blade hub to do that?  You could do the same with Warp Drive and 2 hubs.  EDMO

Ivo uses the same hub i believe.There are spacers needed. Thrust issues may be a issue with the ultralight model, I think the medium model would do ok repitching......

Posted

more pics..........found some red lawn chair cushions at Walmart....Elevator trim servo works great. digital readout on the display 1000 to 2000, 1500 worked out to be direct center.Controller is a servo tester.

IMG_20180214_114131.jpg

IMG_20180213_215354.jpg

IMG_20180213_215318.jpg

IMG_20180213_214929.jpg

IMG_20180214_194336.jpg

IMG_20180214_114142.jpg

Posted

Well i dont know what price to put on the parts. About only thing i think i could use is the Avid wings and wing tanks on my KitFox. The rest is not to useable to me and fuseloge still has one control stick in it (Leni got the pass side one) hahaaaa if u need stuff let me know and we can talk.  (907)460-9591 call or text bucky

Posted

Jim is looking for Avid parts

Posted

Got the prop installed, Attempt to rebuild carbs....come to the conclusion Mikuni pump carbs suck.....My motor mount is probably not sufficient....anyway, it did run!

VID_20180324_191107.wmv

Posted

I wouldn't go that far ha.

I think its the engine design we had one of those engines local on a kitfox. It flew twice and both times the # 1 piston melted. Didn't want to say that earlier because I was really hoping yours would be a turn key machine. Those engines have gotta be out there flying. Some one must have figured it out by now.

Posted (edited)

engine engine in prop on plane running. Carbs aren't worth a damn. But engine runs. I don't think motor mount will be strong enough

Hirth made a lot of those f30 engines. I think most were the two carb design which I think would have a whole lot less issues. I believe I'm going to try to modify and have one single carburetor. Matt at recreational power has a lot of parts for the f30. For individual carburetors I think is a really bad design for a 2 stroke

Edited by fillmanw
1 person likes this

Posted

engine engine in prop on plane running. Carbs aren't worth a damn. But engine runs. I don't think motor mount will be strong enough

Hirth made a lot of those f30 engines. I think most were the two carb design which I think would have a whole lot less issues. I believe I'm going to try to modify and have one single carburetor. Matt at recreational power has a lot of parts for the f30. For individual carburetors I think is a really bad design for a 2 stroke

I have even been thinking of an aftermarket fuel injection.

Posted

Fabricated exhaust .....Changed the four carb  setup to dual carbs.  Seems to idle much better. Got some brain storming to do to figure carb heat.....

IMG_20180504_112912.jpg

IMG_20180504_193942.jpg

IMG_20180504_194006.jpg

IMG_20180504_112919.jpg

Posted

Really, really nice build sir. Kudos as well to most excellent photos and updates of your progress. 

May I suggest (if you've not considered it already), replacing the inadequate 1 leaf tail spring and updating to a 2 or 3 leaf tail spring.  www.wausauspring.com offers a nice 2 leaf and supplied to the early kits back in the day I believe.  

Posted

Really, really nice build sir. Kudos as well to most excellent photos and updates of your progress. 

May I suggest (if you've not considered it already), replacing the inadequate 1 leaf tail spring and updating to a 2 or 3 leaf tail spring.  www.wausauspring.com offers a nice 2 leaf and supplied to the early kits back in the day I believe.  

I have the extra leaf. Have considered installing it.

Posted

Latest Update....Left wing finished with new fiberglass tank!

IMG_20180611_202113.jpg

IMG_20180611_202106.jpg

IMG_20180608_151420.jpg

IMG_20180608_151407.jpg

IMG_20180607_163633.jpg

IMG_20180607_163626.jpg

IMG_20180615_120133.jpg

Posted

IMG_20180611_202113.jpg

IMG_20180611_202106.jpg

IMG_20180608_151420.jpg

IMG_20180608_151407.jpg

IMG_20180607_163633.jpg

IMG_20180607_163626.jpg

IMG_20180615_120133.jpg

trying out the fuel tank....

Posted

IMG_20180611_202113.jpg

IMG_20180611_202106.jpg

IMG_20180608_151420.jpg

IMG_20180608_151407.jpg

IMG_20180607_163633.jpg

IMG_20180607_163626.jpg

IMG_20180615_120133.jpg

trying out the fuel tank....

The first pic is the right wing, Getting started on it!

Posted

Hey fillmanw,

I have installed an electric carb heat on my dual bing carbs..light, easy to install and can be left 'on' without power loss....

Have a look here 

http://www.aircraftgraphix.com/jabiru carb heat.htm

Posted

Hey fillmanw,

I have installed an electric carb heat on my dual bing carbs..light, easy to install and can be left 'on' without power loss....

Have a look here 

http://www.aircraftgraphix.com/jabiru carb heat.htm

will do, was wondering how ill tackle this...

Posted (edited)

Engine running on new fuel tank. Don't really like the centrifugal clutch, it sure is rattly sounding. Going to have to turn my idle up a bit!

FB Link, Cant upload, file to big....

Edited by fillmanw

Posted

i have no knowledge of Hirth engines. At idle I thought it sounded like a radial engine. I thought it was exhaust but when you powered up it sounded like a 'normal' engine does. Hard to get an accurate feel for tone in most videos but it does sound like it runs very well. Now I wonder if all clutches are noisy, I have no personal experience with those either. Good progress!

Posted

sounds really good. Also sounds like it swings that prop well. Lots of power there gonna make a back country monster.

Posted

This is an AWESOME build, can't believe I just now saw it. I'm down in Valdez, would love you check out your plane sometime. I'm curious about the heads, looks like they are clocked a bit off? The head bolts look symmetrical. Wondering if they weren't meant to have the cooling fins flat so the air can easily go across them. Only other concern with it other than cooling would be if the combustion chamber is designed with the porting in mind. Anyway great job, I've also been looking at Hirth engines and have been hoping someone up here would get one I could check out. 

Ken

Posted

This is an AWESOME build, can't believe I just now saw it. I'm down in Valdez, would love you check out your plane sometime. I'm curious about the heads, looks like they are clocked a bit off? The head bolts look symmetrical. Wondering if they weren't meant to have the cooling fins flat so the air can easily go across them. Only other concern with it other than cooling would be if the combustion chamber is designed with the porting in mind. Anyway great job, I've also been looking at Hirth engines and have been hoping someone up here would get one I could check out. 

Ken

I looked at rotating the heads to make the fins run horizontal, no can do, , they arnt square, id have co cut them.

Posted

IMG_20180803_062720.jpg

Posted

Hey any updates to your plane?

Posted

Hey any updates to your plane?

No. Work has kind of stalled. Have not worked much in the last year. Going through the plane thinking about modifying landing gear. What to do about a cowling with this with Birth F30 engine... I probably won't  build a cowling.... I have a ton of work to do to get to get ready for my air worthiness inspection. I bought a set of wing tanks from a gentleman in Fairbanks and and have installed them. Am looking at at trying to put sending units on on them. I have I have a good idea on what I will do there. I built a header tank and and I'm trying to find a good location find a good location to install it. As We Know the avid was not a very big airplane