Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First flight!!!

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Wow, I knocked my first two flights out yesterday!  The Super Bee can definitely climb!  I was at pattern altitude halfway down the runway and that was not maxing climb out!

I had a couple of issues...First is that my Becker radio doesn't have much volume to it and with cockpit noise added I couldn't hear much of anything.  It was so bad that I had to pull the power out anytime I needed to use it.  I think I'm going to use a handheld plugged into my headset for the test phase, then I will dive into the rat's nest of wires behind the dash :)

The next issuer was an attention getter!  As soon as I lifted off I could feel that the flapperon she did not like right roll input.  Good thing the pattern was left traffic :)  I climbed up above the airfield and started testing things, it felt as if I was fighting an Airflow boundary on the right flapperon, but as soon as I pulled in more flap the controls became lighter and I had full control again.  I thought back to what I rigged it for at No Flap setting and I had rigged it at -3 degrees, I had pulled that info from a thread about setting the Magnum for cruise.  I had taken off with No Flaps just to keep things simple at first.  I also had the throttle firewalled for cylinder break in, so I think I had max speed and the negative flap setting causing excessive flapperon force.  I also had discovered after the flight that my -3 degrees on each flapperon had the stick slightly left of center, so when the stick was centered one of the flapperon she was at 0degrees and the other at -6.  If you have adjusted these flight controls before you know that it is only about 1/4" move movement on the stick to make that small of a change.  Another factor was that due to the airframes I have flown over the years, I haven't flown with my left hand in 20 years!  Anyway I solved all of these problems by using the -3 detent on the flaps as a Cruise only setting and then made a 0 -1 degree "No Flap" setting and then three other detente at 5/10/15 degrees.

I was hitting about 110 mph max with those big ole tires, and it wanted to cruise at about 95-100mph.  I have plenty o' power and the catto 86x40 prop is a beast!  It is all keeping me very busy while flying, the controls are very sensitive and I think my prop is washing out a lot of rudder authority.  The plane likes to wag a bit and I think that is the need to change the horizontal stabilizer angle of attack, but I need to fly more and get used to flying it before making changes.

My first landing was not to bad.  I had way too much air in the tires and that definitely exaggerated what would have been a tiny bounce.  My second flight was to a smaller field and I struggled to land it there...I went around twice and finally got her down on the third attempt.

On my long list of things to adjust are the following

1) set GRT 4000 alarm limits higher to get rid of alarms going off every 30"

2) get more familiar with using my avionics, I was lost several times in them

3) rework duct to oil cooler as I was getting some really hot oil temps

4) Start stall profile to help me adjust to the flight characteristics

5) Tie right hand behind back to strengthen left hand coordination :lmao:

it was a great day, and thank you to all of you on this forum that helped me through building issues.  I couldn't have done it without you!

videos to come...

Thanks,

RonIMG_1963.thumb.JPG.ee0d6aa11a3a62afad96c

4 people like this

Posted

Great that you got it flying!  Nothing like that first flight to raise the adrenalin.  I had some negative issues with negative flaperon settings as well, and wouldn't use them myself.  Have fun, and be safe!  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Sounds like it was an interesting and exciting first ride! Good for you for keeping on top of it and dialing things in. Can't wait to see some of those videos . . . . 

Posted

Congrats on the first flight, looks awesome

Posted

congrats on the first flights!  I too do not like using negative on the flaperons as the roll control gets stiffer.  If I can't trim the plane using the elevator trim then I have the CG way out somewhere. 

The wag could just be your feet as well.  These are pretty rudder sensitive planes and what you may think is the rudder getting washed out and making it wag is probably more of your feet just breathing on the pedals.  lead your turns with rudder and get a little time on it before you start changing things around too much as a lot of the issues turn out to be just getting used to the air frame.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Looks great, Nice work

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow, I knocked my first two flights out yesterday!  The Super Bee can definitely climb!

That must feel great Ron. You've built a mighty fine example of performance and ramp presence, way to represent the Avid community!

:bday:

Posted

Thanks guys!  And great advice too!  I flew it again today and had a blast!  Leaving the flapperons positive is the ticket.  I focused on small stick and rudder inputs and she flew great!  I noticed that flying with a ham fist gets you into all kinds of PIO (Pilot Induced Oscillation).  So Leni you were spot on!

I'll get you guys some numbers soon, sorry I'm having too much fun to do anything serious!

Thanks again,

Ron

2 people like this

Posted

The light yet effective controls on these birds makes them much more fun to fly in wind gusts and turbulence than a cub.  You wont beat the crap out of your thighs slamming the slick around to try and keep the wings level.  Best performance mod you can do is put gas in the tanks.  Lots of gas.  I find it tough to really focus on getting performance numbers as well.  These planes are all about the fun factor.  I fly seat of the pants, not numbers so I am with ya 100%  enjoy the beautiful bird you created mr!

:BC:

1 person likes this