Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

California and Wisconsin Unite

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I had the honor of spending all afternoon with AV8ER3400 aka Larry today. He's in Cali visiting family and took time out to come up and see me and my Avid. It was great to get to meet you. We toured the base as well as the local airport. We have a guy on our field in his 90's that has had a lifetime of Aviation. He flew during the war and has lots and lots of cool stuff in his 5 hangars of airplanes. He gave us what he called "Tests" giving us some really cool tidbits on history. Hey Larry.... One more test..... :lmao: Thanks for dinner and for taking the time to drive up. I think the wife bought the Oshkosh proposal :)

Who can name four 4 engine bombers that flew in Europe during WWII?

Test question #2

Who knows what the round tank behind the back seat in one of these is for?

Reliant_AT19C_FAA_FK887_BelfastStationFlight_1944_wartimecolour.jpg

Did you guys know that Northrop Grumman made canoes or that Continental Radial engines were used in Tanks??

I learned all kinds of stuff hanging out with Duncan Miller today. He is a walking piece of history.

Here's a clip from an AOPA article about him

Out in the center of the California farmland between Sacramento and San Francisco sits Vacaville (that's Spanish for cow town). And at Vacaville's Nut Tree Airport (VCB), there's a man who loves aviation so much he has five hangars full of aircraft ranging from a J-3 Cub to a BT-13 Valiant to a Cessna 182 and C-47 being restored for a museum. Eighty-three-year-old Duncan Miller started flying during World War II, and he still loves to fly. Sport Pilot is going to keep him flying.

About nine years ago, Miller needed a pacemaker. And that meant he also needed a special issuance medical certificate. That special issuance is only good for six months, and it takes the FAA four months to process each renewal. But the FAA will only allow Miller to apply for a renewal three months in advance. So for the past nine years, one month out of every six he's been unable to fly while he waits for the FAA to process his paperwork. "I'd run home every day to check my mailbox," Miller said.

But Sport Pilot will allow Miller to fly his beloved J-3 Cub. Under the rules, if his special issuance medical certificate lapses, he can still fly exercising the privileges of a Sport Pilot certificate with a driver's license, providing that he self-certifies that he is medically fit to fly.

And for Duncan Miller, every afternoon around 5 o'clock there's nothing more that he loves to do than fly his J-3 low and slow around the Vacaville farmland — except for Sunday after church when he opens his hangars for everyone, especially children, to come and see his aircraft.

In photo: 83-year-old Duncan Miller learned to fly during World War II. Today Sport Pilot will allow him to fly his beloved J-3 Cub even though he sports a pacemaker.

1 person likes this

Posted

Joey, the pleasure was all mine to meet you, your lovely bride and your adorable little daughter.

Early on I would have said that seeing the AF Base or your Avid was the highlight, but after meeting and talking to Duncan for a little while, he is tough to beat. What a fascinating guy. How cool was that!

The other tank with the radial engine that I couldn't remember was the M18 Hellcat. (Continental 975-340 hp)

I'll be waiting for you when you want to hit OSH. Just give a shout.

Posted

Hey Joey-

Sounds like quite a guy, this Duncan fellow. It is such a shame his generation is almost all lost. I love hearing the old flying tales and amazing personal stories from older aviators, particularly the WWII stuff, that's why we always get together with the WASPS each year. And I will agree Larry is pretty darn good with his own aviation and history knowledge. Sitting together on the flight line at OSH last year with with all sorts of Warbirds taxing/flying by, I gotta admit, he seemed to know just about all of them. Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend, hope to see you at OSH.

P.S. - on your quiz, I figure everyone knows the B-17 so I'll say it. How about B-24 and B-26? I think there was a British bomber but ?? I have no idea about the round tank but my guess is it was a fuel tank to extend range of a civilian model pressed into military service. From the radial and wing I'd say that may be an early Stinson? How'd I do Larry?

Posted (edited)

P.S. - on your quiz, I figure everyone knows the B-17 so I'll say it. How about B-24 and B-26? I think there was a British bomber but ?? I have no idea about the round tank but my guess is it was a fuel tank to extend range of a civilian model pressed into military service. From the radial and wing I'd say that may be an early Stinson? How'd I do Larry?

1. B-17 :)

2. B-24 :)

3. B-26 :( (Twin Engine)

Duncan would offer a hint on #3: There is only one flying example left and it used to come to OSH every year and they mostly flew in the Pacific.

4. :dunno: Duncan would require a guess before he gives a hint for #4.

Looking for 4-engine WWII bombers. (We both failed #4, too.)

The photo is a Stinson, correct. The round tank behind the cabin is hooked to the engine but not part of the fuel or oil system. It is about 12" in diameter and maybe 12" tall. It's lightweight like a coffee can.

During the whole conversation with Duncan, I couldn't help remembering the conversations with the WASP ladies. A truly amazing man.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Made it to Reno in one piece. Kind of a mess out here... snow2_smi.gif

We drove over the Donner this afternoon, safe trip. No one needed to get eaten.

Staying in the Nuggett for the FEGA show with the in-laws.

post-36-12641275831698_thumb.jpg

post-36-12641278579124_thumb.jpg

post-36-12641278926383_thumb.jpg

Posted

Lancaster and Halifax..

Do I get a medal?

:BC:

Posted

Lancaster and Halifax..

Do I get a medal?

BZZZZZZZZT! You get: A boot to the head. Those were British planes.

1. B17 FLYING FORTRESS

2. B24 LIBERATOR

3. B29 SUPER FORTRESS

4. B32 DOMINATOR - The competing bomber design to the B29 - was flown in the pacific. None survive today.

What about the can in the Stinson?

Posted

thats a bullshit question :lol: you never stated that they had to be American bombers... just a 4 engine bomber that flew in WW II in Europe... I stand by my answers as being correct :lmao:

oh on the stinson..... hmmm... no clue, but an air tank for starter??

Posted

thats a bullshit question :lol: you never stated that they had to be American bombers... just a 4 engine bomber that flew in WW II in Europe... I stand by my answers as being correct :lmao:

oh on the stinson..... hmmm... no clue, but an air tank for starter??

Close it was a vacuum tank for the flaps.

Posted

I learned all kinds of stuff hanging out with Duncan Miller today. He is a walking piece of history.

Here's a clip from an AOPA article about him

Out in the center of the California farmland between Sacramento and San Francisco sits Vacaville (that's Spanish for cow town). And at Vacaville's Nut Tree Airport (VCB), there's a man who loves aviation so much he has five hangars full of aircraft ranging from a J-3 Cub to a BT-13 Valiant to a Cessna 182 and C-47 being restored for a museum. Eighty-three-year-old Duncan Miller started flying during World War II, and he still loves to fly. Sport Pilot is going to keep him flying.

About nine years ago, Miller needed a pacemaker. And that meant he also needed a special issuance medical certificate. That special issuance is only good for six months, and it takes the FAA four months to process each renewal. But the FAA will only allow Miller to apply for a renewal three months in advance. So for the past nine years, one month out of every six he's been unable to fly while he waits for the FAA to process his paperwork. "I'd run home every day to check my mailbox," Miller said.

I had the good fortune to grow up around a lot of WW2 pilots and would listen intently to their stories. I still listen with interest to my wife's uncle who, at 86, is one of the few remaining original Tuskegee Airman (he also lives in Vacaville and flies a Beech Skipper). I also enjoyed listening to my grandfather who became a pilot for the US Signal Corps Aviation Division in 1917 and flew with them until 1930 (they changed names twice in that time period from Signal Corps to Army Air Service to Army Air Corps), where he flew at Kelly Field in Texas and helped open March Field in Riverside, CA. After 1930, he flew Ford Trimotors and Lockheed Vega's for Conoco Oil, as well as his own Jenny (for some old fashioned barnstorming), Vega, Trimotor, Travelaire, Ryan SCW, and DC-3.

I hate that we are losing these voices from aviation's past.

Bruce :)